Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I think hot rodding is a mental illness

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 3, 2019.

1. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Mental illness, addiction, what ever it's called, I'm on medication for it. It's called beer.

Baumi, alanp561, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

???? - takes more than that to make me happy & proud unless it is used for the final adjustment before hitting the road

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Those with golf balls golf, those with real balls and race!

Shutter Speed, raven, 62rebel and 4 others like this.
  4. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Well that’s not how I intended to read but I certainly agree it could be a real problem.

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just an understated analogy for having skills.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

alanp561, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

What ever illness you call it, I caught it early. One of my earliest memories (about 3 years old) is my older cousin burnin rubber with his 51 Ford with straight pipes. After I rigged a piece of chrome drain pipe on the lawn mower exhaust I heard my dad tell the guy next door "That damn kid even hot rods the lawn mower!" It only got way worse from there:D

7. williebill

williebill

Not sure what the phrase "home upkeep" means, but I always try to adjust, and improvise, and, no matter what, be patient. I'll be happy to give an example. My water heater has gone to shit, and fixed itself not 1, not 2, but 3 times. Yeah, I never know if the water will be hot in the morning when I get in the shower, but I haven't had to replace it, either.
    Kitchen and dining room have been torn up for years. G/F watches too much HGTV, and in a weak moment, I got talked into gutting them. But everything in the kitchen still works, and my Merc ain't going to build itself.
    Maybe some day I'll work on the house again. Maybe.

8. hudson48

hudson48

Repeating a story I told on another thread with a similiar topic.
    Hot rodder is getting serious with his girlfriend and they are discussing life together.However he says to GF "I have a confession to make. I have an incurable disease" She says "will it be passed on to our children"
    He says "I hope so"

jim snow, alanp561, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  9. gene-koning

gene-koning

Mental Illness?

I believe it is some sort of an illness, but maybe the mental part is a bit over the top, I hope...

I suppose to the rest of the world it may sometimes appear to be that way.

I'm also pretty sure, to some people here that may be effected to a lesser degree, some of those souls effected more towards the fully addicted end of the hobby may appear to have a bit of mental illness.

Some of you guys really are crazy! I say that with great compassion for your illness...

Many of us view people that are not infected with this automotive illness as having some sort of mental illness. We can all post strange things people addicted to other forms of entertainment engage in that we consider as mental illness.

I mean who in their right mind spends all that money slugging little white balls around in a field, then chasing them down to play pasture pool, er, um golf? They buy the balls, they rent the field they smack the ball from, they spend piles of money buying the clubs to beat the balls with, and they even take classes to teach them how to properly beat the ball around the field! Then there is the special dress uniform they all seem to have to have, you can't just beat the ball around the field with just any cloths, or shoes on, you have to have the right cloths and the right shoes. That is just crazy!

We can come up with a similar explanation that will cover just about any form of entertainment, most of them would be pretty easy.

I guess we all go through this life just a few steps short of being mentally ill, we all have things in this life we are addicted to. I suspect its a fine line that separates an addiction from a mental illness, the questions that remain are, how close to that line does each of us choose to live, and who, exactly, gets to determine where that line is for each of us?

So, I'll happily plug along with my automotive addiction, hopefully I can stay just on the right side of the the mental illness line and someone won't come after me with the white jacket with the really long sleeves. Gene

10. Addiction is a mental illness

Short Definition of Addiction:

Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. Spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors such as building hot rods, racing, etc

Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, (can’t stop ) impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. (Perhaps stopping long enough to gut the kitchen) Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death.

Long Definition of Addiction:

Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Addiction affects neurotransmission and interactions within reward structures of the brain, including the nucleus accumbens, anterior cingulate cortex, basal forebrain and amygdala, such that motivational hierarchies are altered and addictive behaviors, which may or may not include hot rods alcohol and other drug use, supplant healthy, self-care related behaviors. Addiction also affects neurotransmission and interactions between cortical and hippocampal circuits and brain reward structures, such that the memory of previous exposures to rewards (such as food, sex, alcohol hot rods and other drugs) leads to a biological and behavioral response to external cues, in turn triggering craving and/or engagement in addictive behaviors.

The neurobiology of addiction encompasses more than the neurochemistry of reward.1 The frontal cortex of the brain and underlying white matter connections between the frontal cortex and circuits of reward, motivation and memory are fundamental in the manifestations of altered impulse control, altered judgment, and the dysfunctional pursuit of rewards (which is often experienced by the affected person as a desire to “be normal”) seen in addiction--despite cumulative adverse consequences experienced from engagement in substance use and hot rods other addictive behaviors. The frontal lobes are important in inhibiting impulsivity and in assisting individuals to appropriately delay gratification. When persons with addiction manifest problems in deferring gratification, there is a neurological locus of these problems in the frontal cortex. Frontal lobe morphology, connectivity and functioning are still in the process of maturation during adolescence and young adulthood, and early exposure to substance use or hot rods is another significant factor in the development of addiction. Many neuroscientists believe that developmental morphology is the basis that makes early-life exposure to substances or hot rods such an important factor.

Genetic factors account for about half of the likelihood that an individual will develop addiction. Environmental factors interact with the person’s biology and affect the extent to which genetic factors exert their influence. Resiliencies the individual acquires (through parenting or later life experiences) can affect the extent to which genetic predispositions lead to the behavioral and other manifestations of addiction. Culture also plays a role in how addiction becomes actualized in persons with biological vulnerabilities to the development of addiction.

Other factors that can contribute to the appearance of addiction, leading to its characteristic bio-psycho-socio-spiritual manifestations, include:

1. The presence of an underlying biological deficit in the function of reward circuits, such that drugs and behaviors which enhance reward function are preferred and sought as reinforcers;
    2. The repeated engagement in drug use or other addictive behaviors, causing neuroadaptation in motivational circuitry leading to impaired control over further drug use or engagement in addictive behaviors;
    3. Cognitive and affective distortions, which impair perceptions and compromise the ability to deal with feelings, resulting in significant self-deception;
    4. Disruption of healthy social supports and problems in interpersonal relationships which impact the development or impact of resiliencies;
    5. Exposure to trauma or stressors that overwhelm an individual’s coping abilities;
    6. Distortion in meaning, purpose and values that guide attitudes, thinking and behavior;
    7. Distortions in a person’s connection with self, with others and with the transcendent (referred to as God by many, the Higher Power by 12-steps groups, or higher consciousness by others); and
    8. The presence of co-occurring psychiatric disorders in persons who engage in substance use or other addictive behaviors.
    Addiction is characterized by2:

1. Inability to consistently Abstain;
    2. Impairment in Behavioral control;
    3. Craving; or increased “hunger” for drugs or rewarding experiences;
    4. Diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships; and
    5. A dysfunctional Emotional response.
    Yep, that’s about it in a nutshell.

11. Sorta the same, but there wasn't a scene for me it was just me and a friend. Never really dressed the part of any type of scene....just a car dirtbag. But if you really think about it, the 20's jazz, 40's swing, 50's rockabilly (all which I listen to) and early hot rodding was the "punk" of that era.
    X1oldtimerX

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  12. That's the thing, a person wouldn't choose a really lemon of a car because they really had to have it. The same goes with a mate, if your that serious about cars you choose someone that has similar interests or at least understands it. Its seems counter productive to only have 1 thing in common like kids.

Just my .02

13. I figure ya gotta have a car, so it might as well be cool! ;)

14. robracer1

robracer1

I have been going to HRA (Hot Rod Addiction) meetings for about 39 years, they seem to be working I don't sleep in the garage next to it except major holidays, I have all most stopped washing my lug nuts in the dish washer every week, I'm working a way to stop cleaning the under side with a tooth brush every 17 days, I had to stop waxing it every day because my right arm only looks like I'm a bodybuilder and a hard one, lying to my girlfriend by teller her I love her more than I love my Hot Rod.
    Thanks for listening makes me feel better, If you have this addiction I recommend going to HRA meetings.

Tri-power37, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I was around 7 years old when I was at a friend of my dads shop. They were talking cars, and I was looking at all of them in his shop. I went back to my dad and his friend Norm said " I feel sorry for you, because you have a sickness, and there is no cure. I got away from cars when I had kids, tried a few other hobbies, but I always come back cars. RIP Norm.
    Tony

16. It is stress relief. I am more of a vintage oval racer, but find locking myself in the shop and building I forget about all the B.S. I have to deal with at work.

Last night I went to Fonda 1/2 Mile dirt track for a special show.
    I stood in turn one for the first few laps I got pelted with dust, clay and rubber I have never used ear plugs at any race. (Even Top Fuel and I went to my first race when I was 6 mounths old! )
    Does that sound like a mental illness?

Deuces, chryslerfan55 and mikec4193 like this.
  17. BJR

BJR

I'm just shy of 70, and the friends I have left that are not into cars are bored to death just sitting around. You can't go fishing every day, but you can go to the garage and work on your car. The friends with no hobbies are the worst, some have gone back to work, so they have something to do with their time other than drink. Sadly others just sit and drink their day away. If old cars are an illness, I'm glad to have it.

18. Could not agree more. Hot rods and music go hand in hand. Even Agent Orange liked Dick Dale!

D-Russ, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. In the beginning it was racing and girls at the lakes, then Rods and Customs, girls and music at the drive-ins, now it's mostly old guys in shorts explaining how bitchen' and expensive their cars to each other (Mental Illness). Put on your Levis, grab your girl and ride around, go to the drive-in or the races or just cruise, she will slide over to your side of the car I bet.

Deuces, chryslerfan55 and Old wolf like this.
  20. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I've always been crazy but cars help me from going insane.
    My apologies to Waylon Jennings.

21. A Boner

A Boner

First world problem....First world fix!

Deuces likes this.
  22. My dad took me to my first oval track race at the age of 4.....all those colorful coupes and coaches...all the sites and sounds and smells....still love them 50 plus years later...nothing like the feeling you get in your belly when you all fly into the first turn 2 and 3 wide and hold your breath until you come out of turn 2....way better than anything I can experience anyplace else...

If I could bottle adrenaline I would be a rich man...currently working my way thru a vintage oval track build...then back onto the mini-stock roundy rounds again...

Addiction...you bet it is....not a bad thing tho...

MikeC

23. It’s not real racing if there’s no dirt in your beer!

Deuces and partsdawg like this.
  24. Soda or Gatorade for me, I learned early on it is more fun to watch the drunks than to be the drunk.:D

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  25. Epinephrine

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  26. topher5150

topher5150

27. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

It stimulates the brains receptors much like heroin or methadone only without the withdraw..

28. WHAT??? I can't hear you! Talk a little louder! :D:D:D

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  29. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, what he^^^^^said!....:confused:

30. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Like I have always said; I don't smoke, I don't drink, and my wife won't let me date, so I only have one vice which is anything with a motor. That ain't bad for 40 years of marriage.