Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hidden Bluetooth Sound System Install [Non Invasive]

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mimilan, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Francos47

Francos47

This is one way of having your cake and eating it too, If you want to maintain a stock look with some modern amenities.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray likes this.
  2. 19vegas56

19vegas56

Billy, I have an old I-pod without bluetooth that I wanted to play with bluetooth speakers. Picked up a bluetooth transmitter on Amazon (pic) very reasonably.
    Jerry. 20190703_183842.jpeg

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bandit Billy likes this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I am a bit unknowledgeable when it comes to these things and this may not be the place, but how do you pair that item when it has no screen? I pair my Bluetooth stereo by selecting it from the drop down menu when the iphone finds it. How does that box and my Bluetooth amp pair?

4. 19vegas56

19vegas56

I press the button for a couple of seconds, it flashes for a few seconds while pairing then glows solid when paired.

Hnstray likes this.
  5. Mimilan

Mimilan

On the Amp I used, it is automatically on Bluetooth mode by default [a blue light flashes]
    When I switch the bluetooth feature on [on my phone] it automatically pairs and "NS-10G" will show on the screen of the phone.
    I tap this on the screen, and the phone saves it [it automatically pairs next time]

And when it's paired the blue light on the amp stops flashing.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I get that @Mimilan but on the unit that @19vegas56 is showing us above it has no screen. I have never paired a device with no touch screen. That is the question.

7. 19vegas56

19vegas56

It automatically pairs with whatever is in range. It has to be within 3 ft to pair and operating range is about 30 ft.

8. Mimilan

Mimilan

Sorry I misunderstood.
    On ours the blue light would stop flashing. Tapping the screen only saves it [on the phone]
    The Amp pairs quite fast anyway.

But the MP3 that @19vegas56 uses wouldn't need the bluetooth transmitter . A 3.5mm phone jack cable [supplied] from the MP3 to the Amp would also work great.

Thats how we use our MP3 player

Edit: If you want FM radio from an MP3 player it normally needs the cable for an Aerial so 19vegas56 's method would be great

9. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Yes, as I mentioned I also permanently mounted and hard wired my Bluetooth amp. I even installed a pancake powered subwoofer under the front seat. All I'm saying is that the portable units are really good today, lots more than 5 watts and lots less than $100. The Aomais Go unit has great reviews, is 30 watts, 30 hour battery life and retails for $69.00.

Makes for a great viable alternative with no invasion and no work involved. I'm not throwing shade at you, just sayin' for those that might be interested.

10. Mimilan

Mimilan

The majority of my thread is all about how we hid it . The actual install itself is very simple ,like installing an old style car radio [except No Cutting of the dash]

The AMP we used was designed to boost sound quality on computers . And computers are usually left switched on for long periods of time.[24/7] .This explains the lack of mounting bracket as it would normally sit on a shelf.
    It is also 9v-24v DC input which is great for vehicle [even 24v trucks]

We were very sceptical, but thought the $$$ was worth the risk.
    So we hooked it up to an old 12v AC adaptor used for a cordless phone [this was 12V x 2A output or 24W] Then we ran some speaker wires across our lounge floor to 2 x home theatre speakers . The sound was pretty good [enough for me to turn the volume down from sitting in the next room]

My phone was very easy to pair to it. It recognised the Bluetooth "frequency" automatically .

If you buy the NS-01G it has controls on the face, and an annoying voiceover that says "Bluetooth Mode" or "Audio Input Mode" etc

But the NS-10G PRO has less features but better electronics and is a more suitable candidate for being hidden out of sight/reach.

Here is an amusing review of the Nobsound NS-01G
    This shows how it works in Bluetooth and Aux Input modes
    The NS-01G is only 60W [30 x 2] but also has headphone output, and voiceover etc that you don't want.

This is a review on the NS-10G PRO that we used

We use a 7.5A fuse so that limits ours to 90W [7.5A x 12V] to get 100W you need a 10A fuse and better speakers than our "Freebies"

Hnstray likes this.
  11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@Mimilan ........Thanks again for the original post and all the follow up posts....terrific info for those of us ‘not on the cutting edge’....:D

Ray

12. Gman0046

Gman0046

Attached is a picture of what I use to play hundreds of tunes of my choice. All it consists of is an iPhone and a Bluetooth JBL wireless speaker. Theres no butchering, fabricating, no wires or other components are needed to be installed. After parking the iPhone goes in my pocket. This simple set up can be used in your car, garage, the beach or anywhere with out the need to disconnect or hook up anything. What could possibily be easier or cheaper? Plays up to 8 hours on a single charge. dAGiucqlSHelLkuccLoKdg.jpg

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    panhead_pete and Bandit Billy like this.
  13. Every Sirius unit I have owned has an audio out on it. I have never used one run through a radio station in my car just plugged it into the AUX input on radio. So you could plug it into the unit being used by the OP just as you would an iPod or phone if you didn't have bluetooth.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    Hnstray likes this.
  14. Mimilan

Mimilan

And @Hnstray

Any external sound source could be used for this. Phone, MP3, Walkman, Computer, Transistor Radio Etc. Even an old tape recorder with a 1/4" Jack plug. [you will need a 1/4" male to 3.5mm male lead]

This Amp could also be used to boost an old vintage stereo [eg from 6w up to 100w]. All you would need to do is connect the speaker wires into a male jack plug [ Left +, Right +, and Common Ground L & R] Or even 2 Amps for a 4 way speaker system.

But if you did this ,you would literally need to unplug the jack plug from the amp if you want to use the bluetooth feature.
    The female jack plug [called a "phone jack"] is a "mechanical" switching over device that disconnects the bluetooth when the Audio Input is used.

Here is a photo of a Phone Jack plug [showing the working mechanism]
    20190706_120912.jpg

Here's the same Phone Jack with a jack plug inserted [the contacts are pushed apart to disconnect them and it takes the input from the jack plug] these cost about $1.50ea
    20190706_131028.jpg

This last photo shows what my my husband was originally intending on doing [ he'll try anything]

He was going to separate the Tuner from the Amp [before the volume control "pot"] in the original 57 Chevy radio, and solder this in between to re-connect them [so the original radio will still work on AM]
    Then an MP3 or Phone can be plugged in with a 3.5 jack plug [which disconnects the tuner] and it will play music through the Amp using the original volume control.
    He soldered 2 resisters together to convert the stereo input to the 57 mono amp [this sort of modification is out of my understanding, he just explained it to me]

A $27 NS-10G pro Amplifier rendered this type of modification obsolete [and it has better sound quality]
    20190706_120931.jpg

Don't be afraid of electronics [especially if you don't need to get inside them]

Hnstray likes this.
  15. I know it’s an old thread and I may get it locked by bumping it...Mimilan, is this still working good for you? I’m considering the same for a car, I need a non invasive way to have some tunes.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

brEad likes this.
  16. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  17. Mimilan

Mimilan

Absolutely!
    The only difference since the original write-up is we changed from using a Piezo-electric buzzer on the door switch.
    We now have a door relay switch which switches off as soon as the door is opened [with ignition off]
    This is needed with our 57 because we don't have an accessory position on the key/switch.

Now about the sound system!! [We are not "Audiophiles" but do like reasonable quality]
    The system was so successful, that we now have 2 of them in our house.[it was also a fun project]

These Amps are brilliant in a car ,and amazing in the house with reasonable speakers

If we were to do it again, We wouldn't bother mounting the Amp blind in our glovebox.
    Just hide it up under the dash or under the seat and simply use the bluetooth mode [we don't use the 3.5 aux input at all]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  18. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I already had a stereo hole or I'd have done hidden like that. I just put a retrosound bt stereo in with some decent 6x9s, the stuff that was in it was absolutely terrible. Much better sound and looks now. I am considering a hidden sub under the front seat just to add a little bass. Had one in an older ski boat I had. Wasn't 'bump' bass, but rounded out the sound nicely.

1oldtimer likes this.
  19. Perfect, I have no need to listen to it with the car shut off, so ignition power is great. I like music on my half hour commute to work!! Thanks alot

20. AccurateMike likes this.
  21. Mimilan

Mimilan

If you're ignition switch has an accessory position, just connect it to the accessory side [in the fusebox]
    This gives you the best of both worlds , and doesn't need to be complicated by using relays etc

That looks like a good unit!
    Most people won't believe the sound these things produce

One question! How does it switch between Bluetooth and Aux input?
    Or does it automatically default to bluetooth with no aux input jack installed [like the Nobsound we used]
    If We were building a fresh build hotrod....This ^^^^ is the one we would use, but you'd need access to the control knobs.
    On our Chevy [which we didn't want to tamper with] the smartphone is the control knobs.

AccurateMike likes this.
  22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AM, FM, Bluetooth...All inside stock radio. If on only a colored light says what it is, 3 different colors, same light. I use it for Sirius Radio off my phone. 81F84AA6-45E0-47AF-A71F-226ADD8B0CEE.jpeg

Mimilan likes this.
  23. Yea I have accessory on my ignition and am thinking I’ll order the Amazon one with a couple 4 inch speakers to put in the stock dash location and possibly put the sub in. I’ll document it when I do it!

I’ll hide in under the dash where I can reach the knobs if need be. I’m leaving the am radio in the dash.

AccurateMike and Mimilan like this.
  24. Mimilan

Mimilan

That Amazon one is perfect if you can live with the knobs.
    It has it's own on/off volume.
    Just take the power feed off a spare fuse on the accessory side on the fusebox [keep it simple]

Remember ,you actually have 2 volume controls with this. One with the Amp and the other via your phone.
    So you could actually hide it under your seat......then tinker with volume /base settings etc. And leave it switched on all the time. [it'll switch off with the ignition switch]
    Then just use your phone to play/control volume etc....
    With the phone disabled the amp will be silent as it is not receiving a signal. [you will hear a click when you switch off the ignition]

57 Fargo likes this.
  25. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Very interesting.

57 Fargo likes this.
  26. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

You don't really need to get to the knobs that much. Your device will do volume, and usually has an equalizer too. I'll put mine where I can get at it but out of sight. Not too hard to remote the power to just about anything. If I don't end up with accessory on the ignition, I can hide a button or reach it to turn it on. I'll probably put a fan on it. I've fried a few amps in loud, open cars. You can set the sub crossover frequency and volume relative to the mains. Put the tone where it works best and volume most of the way up. Use the device from there. I want to use a ~6.5" sub hidden in the seat back and ~3" full ranges in the dash. I'm not looking for a "system", I do want to hear it when I drive.
    There is a YouTube video of a guy testing one. He got an honest, clean 30w from the "50" watt mains and 60w from the "100" watt sub channel. That's actually way better than I figured.
    These use "3116" amp/amps and pretty much share the same functionality as far as aux/bluetooth goes. The Chinglish descriptions drive me nuts though. Apparently, in some circles, they hook these up to 24v drill batteries and make monster bluetooth boomboxes out of them. Sharpen up on your Indonesian if you want to watch these videos. Enjoy, Mike

neilswheels, Mimilan and 57 Fargo like this.
  27. Yup I get all of that, I’ve had some fairly serious car audio systems in my younger days, like I said put it under the dash or somewhere I can reach the knobs if I need too! Thanks for all the input.

28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Well, just what the Doc ordered! :)
    I also have an all stock 57 with working radio and do not want to install a modern look alike. Did it once on my girlfriends 56 and not so happy with it. Use the bluetooth feature of it more than the radio it's self because that's what works and sounds best over AM and FM.

Back to my 57. I won't be following exactly how you did yours however there is lot's of neat things to choose from what you've done and make it my own.

29. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

What amp are you using? Is this then wired to speakers? Thanks

30. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Since this first appeared, I made a box to test this out before I built a car around it.
    IMG_20220330_221743714.jpg
    It has a 9AH 12v battery in it. The 6 1/2" woofer is down firing. It works great ! I have $90 in it, less the battery. I ran a lighter cord to the extra power jack on the amp. It will run off the battery or lighter cord. Using the aux jack overrides the bluetooth. The bluetooth receiver is a little lame. No problem in a car, I have other devices with better range though. Some plug a third party bluetooth receiver into the aux for better range. It's fine across a room as is. I'm going to move forward with building it into the car.
    A look inside
    IMG_20220330_212826587.jpg IMG_20220330_220127576.jpg
    The cabinet volumes are from the speaker manufacturer's specs. I'm going to try to work that into the car. It sounds good and has plenty of bass, especially for it's size. It's not going to cause hearing damage, but it is loud. The battery lasts days. I want to try it on 24V and see how that works. I may use a drill battery. No running down the car's battery "parking". I fixed the link in my post above. Mike