Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Part 1: Hot Rods In Hawaii

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Part 1: Hot Rods In Hawaii

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Time to relax man...… and enjoy.
    We'll cover while your gone.

chryslerfan55, Ryan and loudbang like this.
  3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

chryslerfan55, Ryan, Tim and 2 others like this.
  4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Aloha Kakahiaka!

chryslerfan55, Ryan and loudbang like this.

5. Hope you are wearing proper attire.:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

6. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Ryan,
    Kauai is one outstanding place. It has changed over the years, but with the daily deluge of rain, the plants go berserk and cover just about everything. On the corner of Aawa Rd and Aku Rd coming from the Ching Young Store and Shops on Kuhio Highway on the way to the Hanalei Pier, check out that corner. My friend had invited us for a 30 day summer vacation many years ago. It was brand new and what a trip and needed vacation.
    upload_2019-7-3_7-7-54.png

We tried to buy the empty property across the street, when we were there, but the banks would not give loans to out of state visitors. Our So Cal banks would not give loans to out of state property. we were stuck in the mud.

One place that is probably fenced off and crowded these days is a waterfall pool in the middle of the jungle not far from Hanalei. The locals will know how to get there. It is a must.
    upload_2019-7-3_7-10-52.png My wife took this photo, but left the diving and jumping to me. It was almost an endless bottom...

The town of Lihue (major airport) is about 45 minutes from Hanalei (going North). But, check out the small town/village of Kapaa in between. There were some cool old sedans and roadsters in a lot of neighborhood fields. They are gone, but that whole area leads to grasslands and places for old stuff storage in fields.

Jnaki
    upload_2019-7-3_7-14-40.png
    This is where we stayed with my friend from Long Beach back in those early days. He built both of those houses on adjoining lots. Our 1962 partnership Rambler sedan that held 4-5 adults, 4 surfboards, one little kid and took us all over the island. Since then, my friend has built several more homes (his own) a block closer to the Hanalei Pier.

Have fun on this island paradise. If you can stand the crowds, the Napali Coast cliff walking trail is rather dangerous and very cool. Use lots of SPF 50+ even though it looks over cast. Have fun on this very cool vacation. Look for the spear hole in the top of the mountain near Kapaa on the way to Hanalei.

We are all envious of this vacation...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  7. I didn't know that Don Ho was a drag racer!

Robert,
    You might not know him but the old farts
    like me will!!

wheeldog57, kidcampbell71 and Ryan like this.
  8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That roadster pickup is great!

Ryan likes this.
  9. Did this shirt come from the Boyd Coddington yard sale?

Mr48chev and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Aloha - hopefully you have contacts & car shops to visit while there 20190106_140050 (1).jpg 20190110_123732 (1).jpg 20190108_180320 (1).jpg

11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Enjoy--go to the end of the road to Kei beach past Hanalei. Beautiful!!

Ryan likes this.
  12. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Never.

Kauai is my favorite place on earth. This is my fourth time here... It’s hard for me to spend money on any other vacation simply because I love this island so much.

Thanks for the great photos!

Aside from the obvious weekly selections like This American Life, freekenomics, radiolab, etc... I listen to mostly true crime stuff. On the flight, I binged The Ballad Of Billy Balls, The Man In The Window, and Confronting OJ.

Because I average 10 hours a day at a computer, I listen to more podcasts than I should.

14. I saw this in Port Allen last year...on the way to glass beach....I'm going in October.... IMG_0388.jpg

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

003EED90-FE4E-453E-8EDF-BA9CD504DE16.jpeg Cool man, have fun... never been to Hawaii but I sold this Chevy to a guy from there back in 1991. Don’t remember what island though

16. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love it there. We sent many crews there after Iniki hit. We have been several times as well. Used to staay in Kapaa town. Eat breakfast at Autie ono's

17. Kaapa plug ..... Pono Market for lunch. Yum yum. Liquor store in Hanalei ... for your tequila fix ... can't recall name. :rolleyes: Maybe Hanalei Liquor ???? Whatever the name ... yum yum again.

Love Hawaii. If done correctly, you'll have burnished skin ... instead of a tan. Some call it the same. It isn't.

Also, beware the 7am sun bathers. Yep, they do it. Almost always a wrinkly prune of a man ... in some sort of t-back style, jungle cheetah, Speedo. Only thing worse, is a bevy of tanned, wrinklies, t-back equipped ... all in a row. Good God man, it could be any of us one day ... but no way me. :confused:

Little late for the married, but most people there, are couples on vacation. Best place for single women ? Shameless plug coming ... any of the islands' Hooters. Unfortunately for me, and my buddy ... after 3 months of play, and work, we discovered this on our very last day. :(

P.S. Every strip club over there ... completely sucks. Don't touch anything, or better yet, just don't go. Not that you'd go to those ... maybe forget I said that.

ABC Stores are for tourists. Don't buy a shirt, or hat there. The locals will make fun of you.

Ship back a case or 2 of pineapple. It'll come out, on the luggage turnstiles. I hate pineapple, but that sh#t over there, tastes a hell of a lot better, than the sh#t over here. I've never eaten pineapple in the states since, and everytime I go ... all my buddies that hate pineapple, but tasted what I brought back, last time ... tell me, what I just told you.

Diving in Kauai is awesome. You've been there before, so I doubt I can do better. Be safe, and mind the currents. It's not winter, so not as bad ... but still ...

Enjoy your trip.

Sancho likes this.
  18. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

58ED4E9F-73F8-4CAD-AFC3-B26160B88485.jpeg 1964 shot of SeaBurst with its Hawaii theme

chryslerfan55 and Tim like this.
  19. Was in Hawaii for the first time back in early April. Spent the first part of the week in bed. Got some kind of stomach bug, I guess from something I ate. I did see a vintage car, but the trip sucked for me. I think I expected too much. Don't need to go back. Unless there is a good deal on a Deuce.:rolleyes:

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

maybe did not consume enough Mai Tai medicine

chryslerfan55 and ct1932ford like this.
  22. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Man, am I envious, but elated to see you and the Fam having at it! Have a blast! For real, I'm in the middle of a two week vacation and supposed to be in Kauai right now with the Wife and kids, but a perfect storm of unplanned household costs this year and the fact that the writing is on the wall to replace the family car put a cancel on the plans. Ugh!
    We're shooting for next Summer though. I didn't cancel my time off from work, so I'm getting caught up on a lot of things around the house and some "me" time.
    We carried out Hawaiian BBQ for dinner tonight...

23. I vaguely recognize Don Ho, but I definitely know the legendary Roland Leogn owner of THE HAWAIIAN driven by Don Prudhomme.

Tony you may have to turn in our hot rod card for that one.:confused::)

chryslerfan55 and Tony Martino like this.
  24. 18n57

18n57

25. Being a Don Ho fan, on my first visit to Hawaii when I arrived at the airport I jumped in a taxi and told the driver, “Take me to the Ho house!” For some reason it was nothing like I expected.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

26. LBCD

LBCD

I was there last year and saw the same car in Port Allen...didn’t get a pic.
    Ryan, if you need a fishing trip my bud pictured with the huge Mahi lives on the island and can hook u up ;)[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  27. sololobo

sololobo

Kick back and enjoy, you have earned this break. Envy your trip, I just about moved there in 1980. Do not pet the mongoose!

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Totally off topic... but proud dad and all... this is what a 13 year old prodigy surfer looks like after she tries to body board a 10 foot break with a board found in the garage of our rental.

She bounced off the reef two or three times and was still smiling.

9699DFA0-AD70-4866-80FF-5044454B0C01.jpeg

29. Get her a long board and you'll be on topic.:)
    upload_2019-7-4_17-37-44.png

kidcampbell71 and LBCD like this.