Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest The Beach Boys -surfing & hot rods?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 26, 2019.

1. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

first time i ever saw that stuff was in the early '70s at a country concert in a nightclub. it was believed that cocaine was non-addictive!

2. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but did John Bonham also own a colorful C cab built by Andy Briszzo? It is seen in the opening scenes of the movie The song Remains The Same with Bonham driving I believe up to a pub in it.

classiccarjack and Deuces like this.
  3. rudestude

rudestude

The coupe after some changes were made.
    For a ,what I would call more of a, show rod it didn't do bad in the quarter mile. 20190701_071343.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces, dana barlow and Jalopy Joker like this.
  4. flyin-t

flyin-t

Marks wasn't an original member but replaced Jardine when he went to school. He played on the first 4 albums, Jardine did not and when he returned to the band the line up was going to include both guitarists but Marks said he couldn't stand the Wilson's dad.
    Marks second from the left in the pic. I have an odd ball reissue album I picked up in the 70's that uses this same photo but they lopped off Marks head and glued on Jardines. It's pretty funny.

And Dennis DID play drums on the first 4 or 5 albums. There was usually one or 2 songs where someone else sat in on drums but 95% was Dennis until the wrecking crew was used.

BeachBoys.jpg

Deuces and dana barlow like this.
  5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Very true. But....David Marks is credited as a founding member since he played with the Beach Boys before they became a known group before he replaced Jardine. He lived across the street from the Wilson house.

Deuces, redo32 and dana barlow like this.
  6. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Funny that you mention Jeff Beck. A huge favorite of mine. This morning I seen a documentary on Jeff Beck. It was great! From his meeting up with Jimmy Page when they were both thirteen years old thru today.

Jeff beck builds his rods in his garage and he is building a rod as they are interviewing him.

By the way, you corvette driver haters...Jeff Beck owned a 1963 Split window Vette that he bought with his first $3000 that he made from doing a rock and roll movie...

7. flyin-t

flyin-t

Good point.
    Amazingly he quit the band at 15 when they were the number one band in the world.

8. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Haven’t seen mention of the fact that the original name of the band was Pendletone’s. See post #124. Pendleton issued the same wool shirts about 10 years ago with a T-shirt showing
    The album cover on #124

9. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I was always under the impression that David Marks was fired by Murray Wilson because he was always butting heads with Murray and I believe Brian eventually fired his ultimate control freak manager father during an in studio dispute.

Deuces, redo32 and Casey Riley like this.
  10. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Look up the "Help Me Rhonda" sessions. It's a good one. Murray was a lunatic.

Deuces likes this.
  11. rudestude

rudestude

All this Beach music talk got me to dust off some of my old relics. These two here are the only ones out of all the Besch Boys stuff that I have that has David Mark's pictured on them and Surfin'USA is the only one that has his name on it. 20190701_114222(0).jpeg 20190701_114240(0).jpeg 20190701_114108.jpeg 20190701_114128(0).jpeg 20190701_114149.jpeg

Deuces likes this.
  12. rudestude

rudestude

Found this kind of interesting, it's on the inside of the back album cover of the Jan & Dean Anthology Album.
    It lists ,among other things ,all of the different cars , girl friends, etc. That they had and when.
    hope it clear enough to zoom in on. 20190701_120128.jpeg

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  13. redo32

redo32

That's interesting. They started out with a '32 Ford and a '57 Chevy, ended up with Vettes. Swapped girlfriends alot.

rudestude and Deuces like this.
  14. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Can you imagine the ruckus that would happen today if someone listed their cars and girlfriends as their possessions on an album cover? My wife is pretty laid back but can’t imagine she would be very happy with me listing her with the cars.

Deuces and rudestude like this.
  15. rudestude

rudestude

Oh if you were to do that I'm sure she would come up with a list to put you on ...like a hit list maybe, and I'm not talking like for a number one song or record either.

Deuces likes this.
  16. Deuces

Deuces