Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Where did these bumpers come from?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by BigR, Jun 30, 2019.

1. BigR

BigR

Hi All,

I saw this Volvo yesterday at a car show in Prescott Valley, Arizona. I was most interested in the bumpers. The owner didn't have a clue where they came from. I think they would look great on my 544 instead of the stock bumpers, which have more of a curve. The stock rear bumper also has the license plate fastened to it. I estimate the width at about 50 inches; yes it is a small car.

This vehicle had a Chebby V8 but I have hopes of making my car a traditional "led sled' custom. Those ugly tail lights gotta go, need to be frenched into the fenders!

Any ideas what vehicle these bumpers may be from?

Thanks,

John in Prescott
    volvo 2.jpg VOLVO BACK.jpg

2. squirrel

squirrel

no idea, but they are neat bumpers.

The tail lights look so ugly because the fenders were widened.

3. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Nice bumpers , they look near 37 38 Chebbie , but not the same

4. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

5. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Look like Opel Kadett wagon maybe '65. That's my guess.

6. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Google search shows the Opel Kadette bumpers have a tighter wrap at the ends.

2019 04 13 - Dyno - Med res #4.JPG
    I went with nerf bars on my Volvo.

7. Pretty sure the answer is in the rumble in the country #16 thread ct1932ford posted yesterday. He posted two pics of a little hotrod that looks like its made with lots of mid 1950s Austin FX3 taxi parts and late 1940 A40 parts. So just imagine the pic BigR posted with bumper overriders and then again without. Also helps that i have owned said Austins in the past. Austin hotrod..JPG Austin hotrod.JPG Austin FX3 taxi.jpg FX3 taxi.jpg 1958-Austin-FX3-London-Taxi-.jpg
    Discusion is still open.

8. squirrel

squirrel

we're getting close, at least

9. If that isn't the bumper it's real close. HRP

10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Intriguing little buggers for different hot rods. :):cool:

11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe MGTD rear bumper without the bumper guards?
    [​IMG]

12. BigR

BigR

I think you guys are on to something. Now to find a limey car junkyard.......

BTW, I measured the front bumper and it looks to be about 60 inches. As you said, the rear fenders have been widened so that would make the rear bumper also about 60 inches also. Somebody did a lot of work to make those fenders wider, to fit the bigger meats. The body is not tubbed; if you look at the trunk area you can see the original sides. Notice what looks like an upside down gas tank, with the yardstick fuel level indicator, I assume. What's in the box under the battery? Why they went to the trouble of widening the fenders and then leave the old filler cap on the left side is a mystery to me.

The more I look at the pics the more confused I get. I'll have to cruise the local cruise nights to see if I can locate this puppy again and ask some questions.

John in Prescott
    atrunk2.jpg

13. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

What is a "Chebby" or "Chebbie"?

14. squirrel

squirrel

is that like a Chevy with a different accent?

Mr48chev likes this.
  15. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If they are from a MGTD you could run the front one on the rear and the license plate would cover the crank hole and run the rear one on the front. When I had my TD I dealt with Moss Motors on Goleta, CA. I can't remember the guy in customer service I dealt with but he was very helpful. He was a car guy - looking for a early to mid '60's truck last time a spoke with him after I sold my MGTD and told him not to waste money on sending me more catalogues. You might give Moss a call and get some measurements from them BUT their parts aren't cheap. Good luck.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chebbie, driven by same guys who drive Chebbie Capris. Pretty normal if you work in a parts house in the area.

17. BigR

BigR

Check this out: Magic Classic Motorparts has bumpers for replica kit car MGs. They have three different widths. 52 1/2", 55 1/2" and 60 3/8 inches. I measured my car and the widest one would fit on the front, and one of the others on the rear.

No idea of this company's reputation or quality, just throwing it out. Moss Motors has stuff, too, kinda pricey.

John in Prescott

BUMPER.JPG