Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fuel pump loud clicking engine dies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zz29, Jun 29, 2019.

1. zz29

zz29

This is probably a dumb question, but on the 27 Phaeton we have with a BBC, took it our for a ride today and a stop light we started hearing this loud click-click-click or maybe more of a toc-toc-toc. Then Car died on the turn lane. Great. Managed to start, died, start to a parking lot. Looked under car and touched fuel pump and could tell noise was coming from it, I could feel the clicking. Managed to drive it home. Fuel pump is dying?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. partssaloon

partssaloon

No, it's dead!

Mr48chev and olscrounger like this.
  3. 31 Chopped Coupe

31 Chopped Coupe

I had the same thing happen and it turned out that the suction line fitting was loose where it screwed in to the top of the fuel tank. Just tightened it up and I was good to go again but I do carry a spare fuel pump with me now in case it quits me again.

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

If your gas tank is on the verge of being empty, electric fuel pump will start clicking loudly.
    Is you gas gauge accurate?

5. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

I screwed with 3-4 different electric pumps for about 2 years straight. Went back to a mechanical pump and never looked back. It’s so nice being able to fart and not think the noise came from that frigging electric fuel pump .

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

olscrounger and Tri-power37 like this.
  6. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I too prefer mechanical fuel pumps but I have had a electric ( Holley) fuel pump for years. Electric fuel pumps seem to work great ...until one day they don’t. We replace intake fuel pumps all day long at the garage I work at on modern rides. A lot of times when they get towed in if someone bangs gently but firmly on the gas tank with a rubber mallet or fist while the car is being cranked over the car will start and run.This trick won’t last forever though and the pump must be replaced. It is good practice not too run a electric fuel pump car with hardly any gas in the tank. It sounds like your pump is toast. I always rubber mount external fuel pumps it makes the noisy bastard — less noisy.

7. zz29

zz29

I may actually have an empty tank or very low. Gauge may not be accurate. New car for us. I actually replaced the pump and same issue. Seems I am troubleshooting this backwards!

26 T Ford RPU and Tri-power37 like this.
  8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

9. No shit! Tank is low or empty.

zz29 likes this.
  10. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Um, that is not called troubleshooting. :rolleyes:

11. BJR

BJR

The pumps get loud when they are sucking air. Put some gas in the tank.:p

12. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Yeah what he said now that you are running a BBC ... you better have gas in the tank!

13. zz29

zz29

He he I’m an idiot. It was out of gas. Put gas this morning, loud clicking went away and car started up. It was like magic, or Duh! 101. Dumbass.

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sometimes a topic like this gets a "...we've all done it..." reply. Sometimes.

I suspect this won't be one of those times, but hey you manned up about it;)

firstinsteele and Tri-power37 like this.
  15. Wait until you do that in a Semi , 20 miles from anywhere. THEN , one is a DUMBASS.
    Glad that is all that was the matter.

Ben

zz29 likes this.
  16. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Glad you solved the problem. Do you have an accurate fuel gauge?

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well he will find out how accurate the gauge is but mean while I'd suggest filling the tank. and then after 100 miles fill it again and figure out the mileage you are getting and make sure you fill the tank according to how far you drove.
    My 48 has never had a working gas gauge in all the time I have owned it. On road trips I could hit the guess on how many gallons it took spot on most of the time.

zz29 and olscrounger like this.
  18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Man returns table lamp for a refund. "Reason for return" ask's the clerk. "I plugged it into wall but it doesn't work" say's the man. "Did you install a light bulb?" asked the clerk.

28 Ford PU and zz29 like this.