Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Best Adhesive for Trunk Gasket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joseangel_1976, Jun 29, 2019.

1. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

what up guys, wondering what's a good adhesive for a trunk gasket. just got it in the mail this week and i would like to install it just indecisive on which gasket adhesive to use for my gasket. it will be installed on a 62 cadillac. :)

2. I use super glue. It sticks quick. So far no issues that I know of. I use gorilla brush on. Be sure your painted areas around the deck lid are covered.
    Don't try to glue is solid. An inch every four are five inches.

3. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive is what I like to use.

4. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

willl do brotha i appreciate it. gorilla brush on sounds good

5. Slopok

Slopok

By all means dry fit it first before using any type of adhesive, many have fitment issues.

metlmunchr and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

awesome brotha thank for the tip

7. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

will do going to take off the old gasket put the new one on leave it overnight to make sure it breaks in and fits snugged in

8. Slopok

Slopok

Pay close attention to the orientation of the original, it's easy to put them on incorrectly!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

alright thanks for the heads up going to see if i can video tape it while taking it off or maybe take pics too as a guidance

10. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

^^^ black ^^^

dana barlow likes this.
  11. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

awesome i'll make sure i get the black one. hey does the spoon trick work when installing the gasket?

12. 3M weatherstrip adhesive is the one to use. It is specifically for weatherstripping. I used this on all my door weatherstripping on my wagon and it worked well.
    Superglue may cause paint damage around the area because it has fumes that attachment themselves and dry the paint especially if you have clear coat.

Gorilla glue is somehow water activated and it foams up so I may actually move forward and grow out of the area that you want to glue so be careful with that.
    If this doesn’t foam? Then see this.
    https://woodgears.ca/joint_strength/gorilla_glue.html
    I recently used contact cement to glue on the replacement gravel guards. It worked well also.

Even though something may cost a bit more like $15 a tube. ask yourself if you want to redo this in the long run by trying to cheap out on some crap glue. And potentially mess up a surface or get water inside

I also used blue painter should tape to hold the weatherstripping in place while I rough it out.
    You can do this and close the trunk. Leave it a day or so to see if molds itself to the shape it supposed to be. Then go back in and glue it.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  13. I too have had good results with the 3M products. HRP

14. Gorilla super glue don't foam causes no paint problems if you keep it in the weatherstrip opening. Why you protect the surrounding area. You can install the weatherstrip in 20 mins are so. If you want go back with 3M black . Now I've only don this on 10 are so tri five chevies. Mostly 55's. No come back yet.

15. The best glue ive found is a product called Shoe Goo. Its a shoe repair protective coating. clear & transparent & waterproof. Its for shoes . works on leather rubber vinyl and canvas. however it does a good job. Ive patched plastic car batterys and they held battery acid no leaks.

16. chrisp

chrisp

The 3M Super Weatherstrip adhesive in black is by far the best I've ever used. Nowadays I can only use the yellow neoprene type because 3M doesn't sell the Super Weatherstrip adhesive in Europe but it doesn't glue as good.

17. The black 3m is the best , but that shoe Goo is awesome for a whole bunch of stuff and I’m sure it would work great on WS.
    Get the 3m adhesive remover too, it ain’t cheap but it pays for itself if you happen to get the black 3m where it doesn’t belong.
    I’ve got this PITA 54 truck here and the last shop glued WS on the doors , they used the 3m stuff but nowhere near enough. Little dabs and it all came loose. Make sure you use plenty enough or you’ll be doing it again. Be sure to check with your brotha Mechanicic too

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  18. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. Slopok

Slopok

Sending unit on trunk weatherstriping, gas leaking???:confused:

20. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I use black 3M weather strip adhesive. You can’t get any better than 3M

21. Also the best gasket cement & stud sealer all in one tube

22. Got lost
    It happens

23. southcross2631

southcross2631

I use black 3M on all of my weather stripping . I put it place and then use 3M masking tape to make sure it stays where I put it until the glue sets up I usually wait overnight.

24. 5brown1

5brown1

3M and here is how to use it.

25. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Before you glue your gasket clean it very well or you will be gluing it again. The manufacture sometimes put some kind of powder on them when they make the gasket. I use 3M black and didn't clean it and a couple of weeks later my gaskets started to come unglued