Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lucky’s Rods A/C ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mfd574, Jun 28, 2019.

1. mfd574

mfd574

Hey. We’re looking to put an aftermarket a/c, heat, defrost in our 1959 Edsel and wondering if anyone has ever used Lucky’s Rods and Kustom Supply air conditioning units. Just looking for something that works well and won’t break the family’s bank. Maybe there’s others out there that I just haven’t found yet. From what I can tell Vintage Air would be twice the cost. Thanks guys!

2. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I had to google that: https://www.luckysrodandkustom.com/

Not a lot of info on the systems... If you have not installed a few aftermarket a/c systems, a unit without thorough instructions might be a challenge

Case in point, I am in the process of installing an underdash a/c unit in a much smaller car (1962 Volvo). I needed a narrow unit to clear the shift lever.

2019 06 01 Final test fit of evaporator.jpg
    I ended up ordering a Speedway unit. This is much too small for your Edsel.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Universal-Under-Dash-A-C-Cooling-Unit,50705.html

It came with a packing list and ABSOLUTELY NO INSTRUCTIONS. The reviews on the web site mentions no instructions. This is my 4th a/c install, and I have electrical training, so I quickly figured out the following:

Black wire with ring terminal is ground
    Red wire with fuse is +12 Volts (switched)
    Blue wire with round push connector goes to the Trinary switch
    Big threaded fitting (#10) goes to the compressor
    Small threaded fitting (#6) goes to the receiver/dryer

Since space is limited, the condenser, electric fans (2), hose kit (with receiver dryer) were all researched and ordered separately. I have needed to order specific beadlock air conditioning hose ends (the hose ends in the universal kit did not bend where the hoses needed to go).

firstinsteele likes this.
  3. Joe H

Joe H

Before I purchased my Vintage Air unit, I shopped for couple years before I decided which one I wanted. All the builders and car owners I talked with said Vintage Air was the way to go. I didn't find one single person who didn't like they VA system.
    Most if not all of the cheaper kits use a Sanyo ( like ) compressor which is about half the price of real Sanyo compressor. Does it matter? I don't know, what I do know is, our 50 plus units, A/C equipted school bus fleet has Sanyo compressors and I haven't changed one out yet in six years, and they run all day.
    Will the company be around long enough to warranty any problem? Also consider how you are going to install the ends of the hoses, crimping tools are just over $120 or you can pay someone to crimp them for you, either way, it's more money. If you purchase preassembled hoses, are they going to work the way you want? What if you need a different fitting, will the company work with you?

4. I have used a couple of aftermarket heat/AC units with less than stellar results, my most recent installation was a Vintage Air unit and it has worked flawlessly.

All I can offer is my experience with the cheaper unit and each summer I regret trying to save 200 dollars, I can run it on high and it still doesn't keep the car cool. HRP

olscrounger likes this.

5. partssaloon

partssaloon

I've installed most of the brands and have been happiest with the Vintage Air both for fit and performance.

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

Theres a reason Vintage Air products cost more then other brands. VA has been in the A/C business for 40 years with quality products and great customer service. They are the only system I install. Going cheap on anything is not the way to go. BTW their under dash hang on unit goes for right at $300. How much cheaper do you expect to pay? How many VA positive coments do you need to relize they build a quality product?
    One of the worlds greatest truisms is you get what you pay for.
    What ever you do don't even think about purchasing a Southern Air system as they are Chinese garbage.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    rockable likes this.
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Are you happy with the Speedway unit ?

8. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

The installation is a couple of weeks away from finished. I bought the Speedway unit "naked". I am still waiting on a beadlock O-ring hose end. Summit sent me the wrong part - Not Summit's fault, Vintage Air stuffed the wrong size fitting in the sealed bag. Summit has a replacement fitting on the way - EXCELLENT service from their 1-800 folks.

I do have a Vintage Air under dash in my OT 1986 Ford F150 (with a 1952 Bell Telephone System service bed). Happy with the A/C part, the defrost part is weak (a basic design defect of compact units). I don't have much time on the heater (the Cummins 4 cylinder engine runs cool, I usually drive something newer on our rare cold days). I have 37 states on this unit, maybe 70K+ miles. I occasionally drive the "Valley of the Living Inferno" (Tucson and Phoenix, AZ), it is not "cold", but cool enough for me to survive comfortably.

Previously, installed an Old Air (brand) under dash unit in a 1971 IH pickup. I was able to use the existing A/C dash vents on this one. Truck got totaled, gave the unit away, was told that the unit is now in some pickup truck. 15 years old and still running (it did spend lots of years in storage after the accident).

9. donno

donno

10. donno

donno

From previous experience, bite the bullet and go with Vintage, youll be glad you did.

11. Joe H

Joe H

I tried my best to get a Southern Air unit to work in a '55 Chevy. I am ASE certified in A/C and have worked on school bus A/C units for 20 years, and I still can't get the '55 cool inside. It was a complete kit put together by the company. After seeing how it worked, Vintage Air was an easy choice.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  12. Tacson

Tacson

I have heard nothing but good things about Vintage Air. You might consider a company called Rainbow Products from Mt Ulla, NC, http://www.rainbowproductsonline.com/new/option2/index.html
    He sells VA plus other brands like Danhard, http://www.danhard.com. a company in business since the early 60s. Mike Brown at Rainbow is fair and knowledgeable. Might be worthwhile just to bounce some ideas off him.

13. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I have what I believe is a Southern Air unit. It works, sort of. Tends to ice up, though.

Buy the VA system.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After struggling to get a lesser cost unit to work in my Plymouth, I will never use anything but Vintage Air again. They have the best quality hardware, best tech support and best instructions in the industry, hands down. Putting in AC is a PITA, but having to work on it and pull the unit out after it was commissioned is an even bigger PITA.

15. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try adjusting the thermostat switch first. (CCW to lower temps. Try 1/4 turn first.) If that doesn't work, replace the thermostat switch and "sneak up" on the setting that gives you mid 40's temps out of the duct on medium fan speed. This is not too terribly difficult to replace if you can get to the place where the capillary tube inserts into the evaporator coil. It won't ice up, then.