Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest The Beach Boys -surfing & hot rods?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 26, 2019.

1. rudestude

rudestude

All this Beach Boy trivia and no mention of the Boys , mainly Dennis Wilson, having some connection with Charles Manson, unless I missed it.
    When Charlie was trying his hand at becoming a song writer, they did record one of his songs in 1968?
    "Cesse to Exist" retitled as "Never learn not to love" and no credit was given to Charlie.
    I have been to three Beach Boys Concerts they were all good , but it was odd seeing Brian Willson just sitting at his keyboard with no real connection to the audience just a blank look on his face, even when he would sing.
    Reminded me of the Jan & Dean concerts ,been to three of them also, good songs and singing but just sad seeing Jan being walked out on stage by Dean he did move around some but after what he went through he is lucky to have even survived his crash. 15616902163122232096510494306976.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Charlie & "Family" recorded a lot of tunes, and they were the subject of a documentary before the murders, that's where all the color film footage that we see today came from, but he was a total nutjob, "out of control" was the way one famous musician put it, and he didn't get signed and that pissed him off. There was a really dark undercurrent to that whole scene with the rich & famous.

3. Not surprised. He had already spent half his life in jail.

4. First time I saw the BB's , (maybe 1965), Glen Campbell had replaced Brian on the road.
    Dennis drummed up a storm and was convincing enough for me, that's for sure. I'm not sure how much he did in the studio. I'm sure Brian would have wanted the Wrecking Crew in on his masterpiece, and Dennis on harmony vocals. He was a fairly good singer too.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    chriseakin and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

As a transplanted prunepicker, back here in Oklahoma in the late sixties I listened to The Beach Boys while driving a Tractor all day and imagined them surfing and hot rodding and chasing girls.... and me here on the tractor in the hay field!
    Well, I hot rodded and chased girls, but had nowhere to surf. Well fast forward forty years and picture a 250 lbs man renting a surfboard in Hawaii! By golly I’m going to surf! The man at the beach just kinda stared at me and walked to the back of his shop and came out with a surfboard that looked like an aircraft carrier! I paddled out with the rest of them, trying to look cool.... after several attempts..... I stood up on that board!! For a short distance, crashed into the water and broke one of my toes on the coral! That ended my surfing career. But... I SURFED!
    PS. I still have all my Beach Boy albums!

Bones

6. no55mad

no55mad

Did all the band members go to Hawthorne High School? Isn't that school on El Segundo Blvd?

7. Road Racer

Road Racer

There is a statue/memorial in Hawthorne for them. not a lot of surfers there now. I always found the Beach boys story kind of sad.

31hotrodguy, chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  8. SS327

SS327

I have been lucky enough to see the Beach Boys 5 times With and without Brian and Dennis. When Carl died I no longer had the urge to go see them.

Denny

chryslerfan55, Truck64 and Deuces like this.
  9. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

It was the Beach Boys that stood up, took to the stage, and sang about the likes and desires of American youth when the rock bands from England invaded our shores. Good, bad, or indifferent they are one of the great rock bands that come from the west coast and took over the entire US.

10. clem

clem

And they weren’t into hot rods !

31hotrodguy likes this.
  11. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Dan Rather interviewed Mike Love of The Beach Boys on Axis Tv. recently on his program The Big Interview which was very interesting. He told of their weird meeting with Manson and his clan and claimed this was the one of the lo points in time of the beach boys.

Attached Files:

12. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Great Thread And The Beach Boys Stimulated Music And Hot Rods...The Little Details Do Not Take Away From The Total Experience.... beach-boys-surfin-safari.jpg

13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Well he was crazier than a shithouse rat, but he did have a point about the Beach Boys recording one of his tunes without attribution. One of the benefits of being published, when someone else records your songs, is you get paid every time it's played. So there was a grain of truth that fed into his paranoid fantasies.

Somebody asked Don Mclean "What is the meaning behind 'Miss American Pie'?" and he kind of laughed and said "It means I don't ever have to work again, if I don't want to."

14. mario

mario
    from millbrae

don't forget about the jersey boys. together they held up American music against the British invasion.
    ciao,
    mario

15. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I totally agree. These guys as far as I'm concerned were pioneers of music. As much as the appearance of the Beatles on Tv in 1964 changed everything, it caused many other forms of music to almost disappear over night including for a time The Beach Boys and other forms of surf rock and folk music. What I find odd is how much praise The Beach Boys album Pet Sounds has been given over the years. Many others I know don't understand why this album seems to be so over rated by the music industry itself.

16. 34Larry

34Larry

So I also would like to be into woodies, but at my age and now on Warfarin , that is now just a pleasant memory of years gone buy:(. ...................................................................... Oh,:oops: excuse me your speaking to something automotive. :rolleyes:

17. 5window

5window

BUS GROUPIE!!

18. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Well not much of a fan of the Beatles or the other British bands but their popularity certainly killed not only The Beach Boys but a lot of other American groups. Seemed like when the Beatles became so popular radio stations and record companies focused only on the British Invasion groups.

19. 5window

5window

I can remember the radio playing one Beatles tune, then a Beach Boys tune and you'd call in with your favorite. I never called in and can't remember who won.

20. Deuces

Deuces

I happen to like that british invasion music and all that great American classic rock .. It don't bother me one bit.... :)

21. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I recently watched an interview on line with Frank Zappa dating back to the early eighties on how he saw the future of the MTV generation with regards to where the music industry was heading. I believe the interview was being conducted by someone from MTV and as usual Zappa did not hold back. He told them what was happening was if your face or appearance wasn't video friendly when your picture hit the producers desk no matter how talented you were musically you would go nowhere. As I look at all these so called talent shows on tv these days I kind of get where he was coming from.

22. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I’ve seen The Beach Boys at least a dozen times...most recently at the 50th anniversary tour. We should all have that much energy when we’re 70+!

23. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

To bad Mike Love and Brian Wilson can’t get along well enough to reunite for more touring like they did for the 50th Anniversary Tour. I read somewhere where Brian, Al Jardine and Michael Marks were all willing but Mike Love wanted to go back to his touring version with Bruce Johnston. Also read Mike Love now has the exclusive rights to The Beach Boys name. In a interview Mike Love said they all get along but there are business differences. Who knows!

24. GLEN CAMPELL? :p Talk about sucking:eek:

25. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Yeah music taste is subjective for sure, but believe it or not he was a very accomplished guitar player and highly respected by his fellow musicians in the industry.

Studio time was expensive that's why they didn't let Dennis play drums in the studio. They didn't want to spend the money on someone who wasn't that skilled and finally get a keeper on take #42. So they employed studio musicians who could even read music, but in any case sit down and get it right from the gitgo. Lots of jazz musicians.

There's a funny video here at around 3:20 where Glenn talks about a prank they pulled on Tommy Tedesco, probably the most famous guitarist you never heard of.

26. Deuces

Deuces

Great video.... :)

Truck64 likes this.
  27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

went on the road with the Beach Boys, filling in for Brian - played with Elvis, Sinatra, Monkees, and other musicians as part of the Wrecking Crew studio band

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  28. Tip of the slung. Should be 'band'.

chryslerfan55 and Truck64 like this.
  29. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Nice car.... I got to restore one of those in the 1990's...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I find this amuzing... And now all my kids functions are Rap music(not music to me) only. Very offensive stuff I think. But rock music is not allowed. Strange if you ask me... But then I am not with the times man! Right? LOL

I would never think of the Beach Boys as being a bad influence on anyone. Great stuff to listen to...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app