Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 65 c10 frame questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harley jim, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Guys I need some info. I have a 65 c10 and and want to update the front brakes. I have looked at the kits that are available. I would rather not go that route. I have a 72 c10 frame with p/s p/brakes. Will the front members interchange. Will the 72 front member bolt to the 65 frame? Any one done this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, you can swap them. I think you have to drill one, or two holes, if I remember correctly.

You can get '72 style rotors in 6-lug, too.

anthony myrick likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

the steering box mount won't work with the PS box, unless you modify it some...but other than that, it's one of the easier swaps around.

4. Thank you. My object is to get away from the 6 lug drum setup. I have more choices with a 5 lug setup. The 72 has 5 lug power disc and a swaybar

5. Squirrel
    My 65 has p/s box already was hoping to keep it if I could

6. I put a 71 crossmember and rear axle under my son's 61.
    The rear was easy, just purchased new u bolts and axle pad, then moved the 3rd link bracket over

The front was a little more involved. Drilled 2 holes and elongated 2.
    My troubles came from the improperly installed ps box mount. It caused interface between the center link and the crossmember.

Full Kustom drunk mobile posting

7. squirrel

squirrel

60-62 trucks have a different frame than 63-66 trucks...the later one is pretty darn close to the 67-72 frame.

If you have PS already, that's one battle already won

8. The 72 is literally in the woods. I'm going in with the tractor and machete(lots of blackberrys) to get it out tomorrow

9. Seepwater

Seepwater

Jim,

I saw your post on swapping a late model C-10 disk brake setup into your 65. As is so happens I have a six lug disk brake front end I'd part with at a very reasonable price if you are interested.

I live in Sweetwater so I'm not too far away.

Drop me a line or give me a call if you are interested.

Phil
    [email protected]
    307 231-0070 cell

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I assume that you have the old style power ram power steering, pretty antiquated design.
    You will have a much better power steering setup with the later unit.
    My 66 Suburbans' first iteration had 73/up front suspension, including power steering.
    Many people said to have a wrecking yard cut out the formed frame section that the later p.s. bolts to, I thought that was a lot of work so just made some cuts and formed and rewelded it all up, a couple tubing spacers will need to be sourced or made.
    You can bypass this step but you will not have equal turning radius side to side.
    My 66 was completely transformed with these mods, a different truck altogether, it turned out real nice.

11. I can cut that section from the 72 frame and graft to the 64. I will look into that Thank you

12. Got the 72 out of the woods today. Wife found 3 tics on me. 20190627_170610.jpeg 20190627_170557.jpeg 20190627_170629.jpeg

iwanaflattie likes this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep an eye out for a bullseye rash. A Lyme Disease carrying tick is TINY.

Had Lyme for over 3-years, before being properly diagnosed and treated. I have permanent damage.

All this happened 20-miles from Lyme, Connecticut, from which the disease gets its name. It is still very misunderstood.

14. This guy makes a bolt-on adapter plate kit to mount a late p/s box to the early frame. No cutting, no welding. Just drill one or two holes.

Custom Fab
    John Wastweet
    3335 W. Hern Ave.
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 83815

Mailing address:
    P.O. Box 3186
    Hayden, Idaho 83835

208-640-1185

Email: [email protected]

15. You have to drill two holes for the later pitman arm. and 4 holes to mount the sway bar brackets. The 73 and newer entire front will work and you have rubber A arm bushings. The one you have has steel parts. front and rear ends 001.JPG The first I ever did was on a 62 GMC it got a 73 front and worked great. much better than the original torsion bar suspension. Ive sold three of those front assembleys in the last month. We are parting out 16 square cab trucks.

16. I have always heard that the tick has to stay attached to you for 24 hours to get the disease? Over the years Ive had hundreds of ticks on me. Its a ritual to look each other and the children for ticks every night after the bath. I had a tick yesterday.

17. How different?
    I know the early frames had torsion bars.
    What else is different

18. The torsion bar frames are boxed so as to not flex from the suspension. they are wider at the rear of the cab & back. The distance where the suspension crossmember fits is the same as the 63 and later. All torsion bar pickup trucks 1/2 & 3/4 even the GMC used coil spring rear suspension the bumbers have a wider bolt spacing. the torsion bar trucks all have a HYD clutch release. and a rectangular master cyl.

anthony myrick likes this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As DDDenny said, the early frames don't have the indent in the area where the steering box mounts to clear the power box. They really don't have to be indented all that much when it comes down to all said and done.

20. jchav62

jchav62

I've heard of guys just swapping out the spindles and rotors too (when using a 71/72 parts on a 63-66)... rather than swapping the entire crossmember... the rear end is also a bolt in swap if your looking to convert to 5 lug all the way around.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  21. I'm going to go get the 64 frame and bring it to the shop.
    As I remember it it has a standard p/s box similar to the 72 box. Shouldnt I be able to use that box with the 72 front member or am I missing something?

22. All the 64 thru 66 factory power steering trucks I ever owned had the cylinder on the steering linkage.

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It should not have that.

It should have ram-assist steering, unless it was subject to a prior conversion.

Old wolf likes this.
  24. You may have to change a bolt hole or two. I know the later square body (like say and 80 or so) is a bolt in with the exception of one bolt hole.

Now here is a new trick for ya to think about. The late model GM trucks (like say around '04 or so) use a hat and disc. They are s hole hubs and the hat and disc drop right on the older 6 hole hub. So if disc brakes is in your future use the later hat and disc and fab a caliper mount. You are in there like swim wear.

Edit damn it: Before you question me and start a drama fest I have put the late cross member in several C-10s and I have also done the disc hat and fabbed caliper mount. You have not even tried.

25. Beaner I have been watching you for years. I don't doubt you for a minute. But I got the whole 72 pictured for free. Looks like all I am going to need is some new bolts. Except for some lines, pads' and other required new stuff that I will need either way. You chime in on me anytime you want. I'm listening.

Sent from my smartass phone when it wants toThe H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Beaner, Forgot to mention, I want the 5 lug set up as opposed to the 6 lug. Thanks Buddy

27. 26Troadster

26Troadster

I used a 76 c10 frontend in my 63. Had to drill two holes. I stuck to the stock steering box but did add a powerbrake booster.

28. I did the crossmember swap on my '63 knee knocker several years ago. As previously mentioned, drill 2 and elongate 2.
    '63 C10 #6.JPG
    '63 C10 #7.JPG
    '63 C10 #8.JPG
    Donor truck was a '70 something C10, I used all that I could. Rear axle assembly, master cylinder, power steering and of course the crossmember. I also installed 2" drop spindles and 2" lower front springs and '90 something Jeep Wrangler rear coils in back.
    '63 C10 #34.JPG
    '63 C10 #35.JPG

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  29. Thanks Guys, I appreciate all the advice. I will post some pics of the swap. I picked up a 454 and th400 the other day. Now I need to get busy.

30. Fixing to do a similar swap
    Just with 10 lug