Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Updated 4/20/21- My 1952 Plymouth chopped, and just brought home a Hemi

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Mopar Tony, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Hi am new to the board but love all the info that is on this site. I will be building this 1952 Plymouth that I picked up into a led sled if all goes as plan. It is the white car on the right, the one on the left is a 53 plymouth that is for sale. I do not have a lot of money so this will be a slow developing project but it will get done. First goal is to get the engine/trans swapped and upgrade brakes and steering. I have a 360 magnum that I built for another project that I plan on dropping in it. I also have a 331 hemi that I will eventually some day drop in but that will be another time as I do not have the money to build that engine at this time. I look forward to any tips and help with this build as I go. I found a kit to mount this engine in already which looks to be a good solid set up. https://butchscoolstuff.com/42-52-p...hrysler-engine-transmission-mount-kit-2188cp/ . Again I would love anyone who has done this already to chime in and give some advice. I have done plenty of motor swaps but never in a car of this vintage. If you have pictures of small blocks in your engine bay please tell me what you did and maybe a pic of how it fit next to the steering shaft and over all. Also and exterior pic is always good. I would like to keep this car era correct if possible. And I know some guys love the straight 6 but I already have a bone stock 48 Plymouth Special Deluxe with a straight 6 and want to hot rod this one. I also put up a couple pics of what I'd like mine to end up like. Thanks for checking it out and thanks for any info provided. Plymouth.jpg Chopeed.png 6dybty.jpg

BigO, Tall t 26, That_53_Guy and 9 others like this.
  2. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Hi Tony... Ya know, that body style & vintage isn't the most popular out there, but they can be made to look verry cool, if done right. Those examples you posted are proof of that. There's a couple threads on the H.A.M.B. showing some real beauties!
    I have a '51 Cambridge that my uncle restored. I've gone a different route than what you plan... but that's all good! The swap you are planning is so very do-able and with that kit it should be relatively easy to pull off. The engine compartment in this car is a little short, so that will be a little tricky. Installing the engine with the trans attached, if the core support is in place would be hard to do. (My flat 6 barely fit coming out) Consider pulling the front body clip off for ease of doing your swap?

Good luck and I'm looking forward to future posts!

Stogy likes this.
  3. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Neat car! I don't know the first thing about pre-'55 Mopars, or how to stuff an LA small block in one. But I do know Barris built a really cool one, and a couple of HAMBrs have built them. The knowledge is here, if you look. Here's someone working to clone Ed Sloan's 'Pioneering Plymouth.'

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...lymouth-a-barris-kustom-1953-plymouth.515739/

And in that thread, a note on how to lower one quick, cheap, and easy...

They can sure look great. Keep us posted, and good luck!

[​IMG]

HEMI32, ffr1222k, BigO and 3 others like this.

5. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

My plan is to pull the front clip for sure when doing the swap. I figure this would make it easier to weld mounts in and work on steering as needed. I figure this would also make it easier when running all new break lines and mounting my master cylinder to the fire wall.

BigO likes this.
  6. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Thank you for that. I know there are posts on these cars on this site but I seem to have a hard time searching this site to find the info I need. Any time I try and search something using the search bar I don't have very much luck.
    Thanks for this, I am going to look Tuesday and see how easy that is to move that plate. That would make it better than chopping the front springs I would think.

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

It already has a nice custom grille bar in it.. Just take off the front bumper guards....

lothiandon1940 and Mopar Tony like this.
  8. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

I agree with that. I don't want to changed too much where you can't tell that it is a Plymouth.

BigO and scrap metal 48 like this.
  9. gene-koning

gene-koning

For the most part, most of the people you will meet will ask you what year your car is, and the next question will be what make/model of car is it. Most will have no idea because most have probably never seen or heard of a 52 Plymouth Cranbrook. You should get used to telling them what make and model it is, as soon as the ask you what year it is. Then, expect them to tell you about a friend, relative, or someone else they knew that had one "just like it, except..." followed by a whole bunch of stuff not even close to being related to your car. Smile and talk with them, its part of the fun having an old car. Gene

10. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Oh I am sadly used to it. My last two old cars were a 1966 dodge coronet that everyone thought was a early Chevelle and a 74 Dart Swinger that everyone thought was a early Nova. The stupidity hurts...

11. gene-koning

gene-koning

Tony, I've been a Mopar guy since the early 70s. It is amazing how few people can grasp there were (and still are) many makes of cars.

Unfortunately if you look back through history, about every 10 year cycle, the cars all grew to look like one another until someone made something very different, then in another 10 years or so, they all looked about the same again. You see the same thing with modern cars, they all look the same to me.

I've come to the conclusion that as long as my car brings up some happy memory of a car or something car related from their past, its all good. Sometimes the stories they tell are really fun, but they won't tell their story if you respond badly to their attempt to connect to a car "just like your's, except...." I got into this hobby because it was fun. Sharing stories can be great fun too. Gene

ffr1222k and Mopar Tony like this.
  12. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Definitely following this thread. My first car was a 51 Plymouth Cranbrook. That I bought for $25.00 from my dad when I was 8yo. Never got beyond unbolting a bunch of stuff on it though. Hey, I was just a kid with a car and some tools

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

BigO likes this.
  13. Francos47

Francos47

Good luck with your project Tony. I’ve always had to a soft for the early ‘50s Plymouth’s and Dodge. My best friend’s folks had a 49 Dodge when we were 15 and we took it for joy rides when they weren’t home.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Mopar Tony likes this.
  14. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Well I am back and forth on what I want to do now. I got the car to run with the old flat six and I don't think it'd take much to make it drivable as is but I don't really want to keep the flat 6 in it. Everyone says to modify the 6 and it'll make more power but I honestly don't think I'd be happy with the power for the money I'd have invested. However if I fixed the brakes and tuned it up I could be driving it shortly LOL. I just hate to invest money in stock parts when I feel that they would still be some what inadequate and unsafe. I want to be able to put my family in this car and drive across the country.

15. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Tony,
    If you decide to keep it, your flat 6 will be as safe & reliable as you make it. Mine is capable of going anywhere, anytime. It's no race car by any stretch, but it pulls up the mountains roads just fine. It'll cruise on the highway with & past traffic.
    I had the cam re-ground & tappets re-surfaced, Edgy aluminum head, H.E.I. distributor, Offy twin carb manifold, Langly cast iron header with dual exhaust sporting twin porter steel packs. A T-5 makes a Highway Star out of it.
    I didn't do it all at once, but one piece at a time made it do-able over time. At one point I was going to swap in a later engine, etc., but stuck to the flatty... and I'm glad now that I did!

Attached Files:

dt50chev, BigO, Tall t 26 and 3 others like this.
  16. 'Mo

'Mo

This I like!
    How about a peek at that flattie?

[​IMG]

Airpig, BigO, Tall t 26 and 1 other person like this.
  17. The next you try searching from the "search" icon at the top of the page, go to the bottom of the window that opens and click the button that says "MORE". This opens up the Advanced Search window and you'll probably get better results searching from there. At least it seems to somehow work better that way in my experience. :rolleyes:

BigO and Mopar Tony like this.
  18. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Here's one just like mine, but you can see it better since the front body clip is off. Also, I have a heater on my car so it's hard to see the details. Full on Flatty.jpg Full House Flatty.jpg

hfh, dwollam, chop job and 7 others like this.
  19. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Cool car. You could definitely find some finned valve covers and air cleaner cover to keep the look on that late small block. Five speed will be fun in that car. Is it a nv 3500 from a truck?

Mopar Tony likes this.
  20. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

No sir it is a AX15 from a dodge Dakota hooked to a 360 magnum.

21. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

First I wanted to say I love your car. That thing is sweet! Second I would like to keep the flatty but money is a huge factor for me as well. To hot rod the flat 6 I will have to invest a ton of money. I already own the 360 and AX15 trans. I am back and forth right now but I can drop this small block in for around 500 dollars at this point and the head I found for the flat 6 cost that.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  22. 73RR

73RR

If a v8 is your desire then go for it. It will not be the easiest swap but it will be an eye candy deal if done right.
    There are a couple of threads on this subject: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/lookey-what-i-got-for-a-project-hyfire-poly.360864/ and
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/dodge-la-5-speed-transmission-options.486239/ and alot more if you dig around.
    Yes, spending money on the stock parts could net a cool project but, if you then make the swap the money is gone and you start over. I'd suggest starting with a front disc brake swap (www.rustyhope.com) and an Explorer rear axle. At least that work will be part of either engine.

rod1 likes this.
  23. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

My first swap this winter will be the rear axle to a 8 3/4 from a 67 Coronet and I was looking at making my own bracket and using ford explorer calipers that I saw in a thread on HAMB. As far as what is easier I don't think the V8 swap will be too bad. Also I honestly think it is more affordable than hot rodding the flat 6 as there are more parts for the modern motor and trans. thing that makes me second guess using the AX15 is it looks like I may have to split trans tunnel.

BigO and scrap metal 48 like this.
  24. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Well I have made up my mind. I am putting in the 360 magnum with the AX15 5 speed. I have started harvesting parts from the parts car and ordered the engine swap kit from Butch's Cool stuff. I cut the 8 3/4 axle from the 67 coronet and I will start rebuilding the brakes on it and putting in new bearings while I gather more parts for the engine swap. I will be ordering a new fly wheel and clutch so I can mate the engine to the trans. Hoping to get this motor and transmission mocked up and welded in before thanksgiving. I know that sounds like a ways off still but it is a slow process for me as money is very short and time is just as short.
    upload_2019-10-4_11-11-51.png

BigO, Terraizer, Kage and 1 other person like this.
  25. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Here is another picture of my project "Casper". I love this car and can't wait to get it going.
    upload_2019-10-5_9-31-10.png

This is the 360 magnum that was built and put in a Ramcharger for a couple of years. In the process of pulling it out now and will be cleaning it up before install. I just bought a new cam for it and will be pulling the heads off to have them reworked a little before install. I am wanting to find a way to make it look more vintage and would like to use the Cadillac air filter.
    upload_2019-10-5_9-32-23.png
    AND this is the motor I want to put in this car some day when I have the money to go through and rebuild it. I am hoping to some day adapt my AX15 to it. Currently this 331 hemi is locked up tighter than a crabs ass and will need a full rebuild. I can't wait to do it but it is probably 10 years down the road.
    upload_2019-10-5_9-34-25.png

26. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

My new cam came in. It is a custom grind cam for the magnum motor ground on a LA cam core so I can still run a mechanical fuel pump.
    upload_2019-10-6_6-31-23.png
    upload_2019-10-6_6-32-0.png

Tall t 26 likes this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well Tony I tackled a Inspiration for you...Sometimes less is more and even as subtle as this looks there is a fair amount of effort getting it there...I will post another in this weeks Art Show but here's one hot off Stogy's Virtual World...

50_DodgeCoupeBF4.jpg

Credit to Photographer's

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Fitty Toomuch and Mopar Tony like this.
  28. Terraizer

Terraizer

Nice project. Keep us posted as you progress

29. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

That is awesome, thank you very much for doing that. I do like the look as far as not getting crazy. I like seeing others vision of the car as it gives me a lot of ideas. You never really see these done so it is super cool to see what you have done.

Stogy likes this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your very welcome...
    Oh I have complete confidence you will get this thing there...and yeah you can throw another roof on it but it loses part of it's identity...That's an option of course but I really like the tweaking of the original Roof in this case...

The Ugly Duckling turned into a Swan...;)

I look forward to seeing what the others come up with...Did you check out Rytangs Desoto thread...extreme makover but it just highlights options and your Vintage throwback mind is what governs that...Look forward to your journey with it...

That Hemi would be a very fitting attachment to this Beauty in the making at some point in its resurrection...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    BigO and Mopar Tony like this.