Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Hot Rod lessons learned

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Atwater Mike, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Santa Clara, 1953. I was 11, on my '49 Hawthorn 26" balloon tire bike...Spotted what looked like a hot rod, parked up the block. I got closer, saw it was Harry Angelo's, a Model A roadster, no fenders, hot rod V8 engine...then I heard this loud noise, like a motorcycle...
    Harry and his pal, Johnny were holding a big model plane, with a 'gas motor', it was roaring loudly.
    Harry ran toward me, then stopped and picked something up...He waved at Johnny, and that airplane took off, but Harry was holding onto some wires, and the plane flew around him, in a circle...
    Johnny yelled for me to 'stay back', no worry...I wasn't gonna walk into THAT thing!
    Harry was stretched out to his arm's length, his leather jacket bunched up toward his shoulders, his teeth were gritting, and he was flying that thing for all it was worth!
    Big airplane, Johnny said it was an 'All American Sportster', (looked like a big Gee Bee)
    When Harry finally landed it, I asked some questions...Really a neat thing, first time I saw one this big! Harry said 52" wingspan!
    I then asked, "Why play with model planes when you've got that swell hot rod?"
    Harry smiled..."I had to have some way to haul the airplane..." Hmmph. I'd file that away...

Around 1957, my channeled '31 Cabriolet over Deuce rails was running, at last. My friend Ramsay around the corner had a black channeled '30 Coupe we had built over the summer, and another bud, Dave, had a '31 roadster.
    We all had control line planes, flew sometimes at Wilson school, (everybody flew at Wilson on weekends...it was the thing then.
    We got together at Grandma's, and put planes in our trunks. Caravanned down to the school, 1/2 mile. Pulled in the cul-de-sac nearest the baseball field, and opened trunks and set planes down.
    Ramsay had a big WW II Corsair, Dave had a 42" Ringmaster, and I had a 38" P51 Mustang.
    Some kids were on bikes, and rode up to see the cars (and planes)
    One of 'em said, "Hey, that Mustang yours?" "Yep..." Again, with the "Hey! How come you guys have these cool rods and fool with toy airplanes?"
    I had the answer. I had awaited this moment...

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Cool story.

Stogy likes this.
  3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Because you couldn't get girls?:)

SS327, Stogy and raven like this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

No, the airplanes were the only way to fend them off!

5. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Great story!!!!!

Stogy likes this.
  6. williebill

williebill

x2 love it

Stogy likes this.
  7. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

There is really a lesson here. Hot Rods and related hobbies are really just an aspect of our lives.
    I know for me, I have many interests and that's OK.

osage orange and Stogy like this.
  8. partssaloon

partssaloon

Wow, did that bring back memories!

Stogy and 48fordnut like this.
  9. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story! Anxiously awaiting the next...

Stogy and dana barlow like this.
  10. This is not the typical post around here, but I would sure welcome more like it.

seadog, Budget36, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  11. oj

oj

Loved it!

Stogy likes this.
  12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Stogy and bowie like this.
  13. jim snow

jim snow

Good stuff. Thanks,Snowman

Stogy likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story Mike... Have a great day Hotrodder...Happy Birthday!!

brady1929 and Budget36 like this.
  15. Budget36

Budget36

It’s Mikes Birthday? Well birthday to you @Atwater Mike !!

PS, I love reading Mikes recounts of his earlier days. I can actually see the scenes happening while reading about them.

Stogy likes this.
  16. brady1929

brady1929

I used to fly control line airplanes too. Way back in 8th grade. A long time ago.

Stogy likes this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mike was doing that before we were born, with a Hotrod too...they sure have come along way since then eh!...String what?

SS327 likes this.
  18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Our gasoline powered youths, what would they have been like without it? Oh, perhaps a bit not as warm according to some but not nearly as cool. Great story!

SS327 likes this.