Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Garage Find: 1962 Rambler 2dr with 27k miles, but is it cool ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FalconMan, Jun 25, 2019.

1. That’s too funny...The original owner of my car was named Ruth thus the name of my car now... :D

2. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Thanks for all the comments. It was quite the find. I will get it running and go from there. It's already growing on me. I use to have a ton of Falcons before I got the hot rod fever.... so I know how to be seen in a dorky car :)

The owner Minnie, was never married, only car she ever had, a school teacher in Milbank SD. I asked the great niece for some photos of the car and her in the early years. Hopefully they will find some.

What I can't believe they had zero relatives interested. It was never advertised.... my old neigbor just happened to hear about her problem trying to get the car gone before they sell the house of another relative in Minnesota where they drove the car 20 years ago and parked it. They put the car in the niece's name and bought plates for one year. Only a few hundred miles (the distance to where the car was stored) are on the car since the oil was changed in SD in 1988.

Car came with original manual with her info and key FOB.

The best part is the lay down seat ! That would have been very nice 45 years ago :)

20190625_180532_resized.jpeg 20190625_180539_resized.jpeg 20190625_180508_resized.jpeg 20190625_181350_resized.jpeg 20190625_175946_resized.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Cool, in a Aunt Bea sort of way, don’t change a thing.

Thor1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. I would drop and drive.
    Done

Chavezk21 likes this.
  5. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

This thing has got an 'e-stick'. Three on the tree manual tranny without a clutch pedal. Looking under it quickly, it has a flywheel and clutch.... is the clutch activate automatically with a solenoid when the car goes into neutral??

A quick internet search turned up nothing on this.

I'd rather have the 3rd pedal :(

catdad49 and MO54Frank like this.
  6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

neat car... surely the owners manual tells how the trans works....

7. Squablow

Squablow

This is a nice old car for someone who wants an "old car" and isn't real particular. I wouldn't make any changes to it, I think this car would be awkward as a hot rod or a custom, but it's neat as a preserved original. If you decide it's not for you I'm sure someone else would love to own it.

egads and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Nice car, knock it in the head if you want a Gasser.
    I know that it would be much easier to build one with a clean slate, those opportunities do come by often.
    Didn't bother Jim when he built his altered cuda.

9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am absolutely blown away by the photo of the trunk floor with the mat turned back I've seen too many "the other way".. Speaking of "Aunt Bea", I saw her (Frances Bavier) car for sale at auction many years ago. IIRC, it was almost a duplicate to this one, down to the condition.

nochop likes this.
  10. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My two cents? I would drive it like it is; it is a rare survivor that deserves to get back out in the sun and run. It's unique enough plus the low miles.... maybe some nice hubcaps but that would be it for me.

11. My buddy has a 63 Catalina we named “ Miss Hellen” after the original owner.

Chavezk21 likes this.
  12. pumpman

pumpman

Sometimes you just step back, smile and say ya.

nochop, Hnstray and egads like this.
  13. swifty

swifty

Get a set of Rambler hub caps, a spare wheel and tire and you're good to go. Hub caps shouldn't cost much as not too many chasing them LOL Finding a spare wheel may take some time though, it didn't come with the car?

14. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

That's exactly what I did :)

This car deal kind of hit me by surprise.... I really don't need another car....

nochop likes this.
  15. I would just call her Minnie, keep it clean and maintained and drive the shit outta her. Growing up, all the Ramblers I remember and my folks owned were just transportation. Just the Scramblers and Amx's ( and the 57 REBEL) were HOT RODS as far as I'm concerned. I think it would make a perfect "SUNDAY" car, your car , your choice, just my 2 cents....Mitch. p.s. I think those old Americans are really cool :):)

nochop and egads like this.
  16. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

All the stock caps and spare were in the trunk when I cleaned it out. These 15 inch wheels are really skinny, must be 4 inch. These are 5x4.5, I have a set of 15x6 wheels that I may put on it with radials and baby moons. Powdercoat them black.

Lots of crap in the trunk. A cool toolkit with mint Ford wrenches.... go figure.

If this car could only talk...I'd like to know more of the story. 20190625_191319.jpeg 20190625_201210.jpeg

17. Latigo

Latigo

It’s cool. No doubt about it. It will attract a lot of admirers. Think I’d put some chrome reverse wheels with moons or those original caps and just drive it.

18. swifty

swifty

Unusual that it's running 15" wheels as all the compacts at that time were running 13's and full size Chevs were on 14's. What size tires?
    I'd be inclined to paint your 6" wheels body color and run the Rambler caps if they'll fit.
    Funny about that Ford tool kit with this being her one and only car, must have been given to her.

19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

It can be a fun car!! "I got new Dietz light buckets to fit in, 50's Ford tail lights, 3rd brake light, made turn signals operational. And a small Tachometer. Car could use paint but its a driver. I use it for errands all around surrounding towns, cruise nights, car shows, Antique car and engine shows [Kent and Zagre Farm] and sometimes just for a ride which usually ends up being 25 miles or so which is all combined with taking the dog to parks and woods for walks. Wherever I take the Crosley the dog comes too! About 900 miles a year as long as no snow. I wish I had a dollar for every cell phone picture taken."[​IMG]

20. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Just being what it is and in such good shape makes it cool, just drive it around for while!

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

E stick rings a faint bell. A quick Google search turns up the information that it was a cheap alternative to an automatic at $60, about 1/3 the price of an automatic.

You could get a 3 speed manual or 3 speed plus overdrive E stick. The clutch is automatic but you have to shift it by hand. I couldn't find any details but suspect if you look underneath you will see a vacuum clutch booster like a power brake booster that works the clutch, with a valve attached to the gearshift. Try it out and see how it works, with luck it still works. I would buy a factory repair manual and check it out for all the gory details.

I guarantee you will have the only one in town.

Later.... found out the E stick clutch works by a combination of vacuum and engine oil pressure. Not much info on the net but here is a road test with some operating details.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=OyEDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA60&lpg=PA60&dq=rambler+e-stick+transmission&source=bl&ots=YPMutGgX6x&sig=ACfU3U3NxXQaVmVvr-nWw2FkDXqJqulR4Q&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjW8dyKhIbjAhUFd6wKHcJECxg4ChDoATAJegQICBAB#v=onepage&q=rambler e-stick transmission&f=true

Incidentally you are lucky if you have the flathead model, same engine was available with OHV head but it was prone to blown head gaskets when the engine got old. The flatty has less HP but more reliable. HP is low but so is the weight of the car, road testers report driving 70 - 80 MPH with no problems. Don't think I would push it that hard, in respect for the car's age.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  22. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

It came with 5.60-15.... needless to say tires are shot.

Body color on my 15x6 wheels may be possible to get a close match.

Stock caps wont fit. Baby moons and trim rings may be in order.

Thanks for the ideas.. .

catdad49 likes this.
  23. dan31

dan31

It's so uncool in an awkward ,cute way that it's cool .

nochop likes this.
  24. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Thanks..... I'll have to give it a good look underneath. Hopefully it still works. Finding parts may be impossible.

I think my wife could even drive this car :)

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

26. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Very cool Rambler. I like it.
    Oh, btw, Aunt Bea's (Frances Bavier) car was a Studebaker Lark-type sedan.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    nochop and Peanut 1959 like this.
  27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Now that's funny, a bud of mine had one of those, a dark forest green. It was a one owner when he bought it, from a retired lady school teacher who never married!
    What's really funny, first time I saw it was before he told me the back story on it, we were headed to a show, he was in his 68 Camaro and his wife drove the little Rambler. I told my wife, and his after we got there, that she looked like an retired school teacher driving the Rambler! He got a kick out of that and then told me the back story on the car. She just laughed it off, said she felt like an old maid school teacher in it! He didn't keep it long, made some pretty good bucks when he sold it.

Wonder how many were bought by old maid school teachers? Must have been all they could afford on their salaries!

loudbang likes this.
  28. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I'm sure she could, evidently the model was a favorite with economy minded ladies. I added some info to my last post in case you are interested.

I recall from old road tests that the Rambler was way ahead of the popular import cars of the time in power, performance, room, comfort and long reliable service while it cost only a few bucks more than the cheapest imports (VW and Renault) and less than cars like Volvo and Rover.

Like riding a Moped or dating a fat girl, you can have a lot of fun if your friends don't see you lol.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. I would fix the brakes, make it run sweet, put tires on it and cruise the s&$t out of it. Super cool time capsule.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

belair and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. When I saw no clutch pedal AND no shift indicator I wondered if you might have gotten an E-stick model. I drove one a couple times a lot of years ago when I worked as a parking lot attendant, but only to pull the car in and out of a parking space to access another car. It's the only one I've ever actually seen.

@farna needs to check in here with his wealth of Rambler knowledge.

Here's a one page ad from Popular Mechanics for the Rambler E-Stick.

https://books.google.com/books?id=P...can#v=onepage&q=1962 rambler american&f=false

Here's a bit more about how it works from Popular Science magazine. Scroll down a bit and there's a schematic of the "automatic clutch" system.

https://books.google.com/books?id=V...nepage&q=rambler e-stick transmission&f=false

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.