Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gears grinding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Christian Price, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Christian Price

Christian Price

So I took the 51 shoebox out for a spin today and I noticed when I would stop at a light and it turn green as soon as I stop and I went to go into first gear but I couldn’t due to a grind no other gears grind and when I pull the car in and out of the garage it doesn’t grind and has a new clutch any ideas??

Thank you
    Christian P

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Normal....
    No syncro in 1st gear

dana barlow likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

Welcome to the old days! That's normal operation.

If you want to downshift to Low while moving, learn the fine art of double-clutching

4. before you stop shift into second gear. leave it in second until you get stopped. then shift down into low when your not moving.
    if you set at a stop in netural with the clutch released the front shaft is turning along with the cluster gear. and that rotating mass has to stop turning before you can engage the non syncro first or reverse gear. It likely works a bit better when you first start out because the gear oil is cold and thicker and slows the rotating parts better.

5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You can also shift into 2nd or 3rd, to stop the rotation, then shift into 1st or reverse. This is my standard operating procedure to get into reverse, to this day.

6. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

If you have a 3 spd+OD, set the overdrive cable so that the Over-Drive planetary gear set free wheels when load is removed. Makes shifting into that non-syncronised 1st gear, while rolling, a breeze without having to learn how to double clutch. Just be aware, you will no longer have engine braking.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    302GMC likes this.
  7. The 55 in my avatar still uses the old 318 Muncie non syncro first & reverse gear trans. I grew up with those type of transmissions . It becomes second nature to downshift without needing a full syncro trans.

Truckdoctor Andy and Boryca like this.
  8. goldmountain

goldmountain

The fully syncronized 3 speed didn't happen until 1964 for Ford.

9. Christian Price

Christian Price

Thanks so much for all the help defiantly gotta learn to double clutch i was just worried it was something serious glad to hear it wasn’t

10. goldmountain

goldmountain

You really don't need to double clutch in most instances. Just don't put it into first gear until you come to a complete stop. About the only time would be if you encounter a really steep hill and you don't want to lose forward momentum, which is mostly never. Around town, just downshift into second when you turn corners.

samurai mike and WB69 like this.
  11. RmK57

RmK57

If I'm coming to complete stop, such as a traffic light I avoid shifting into first and just pop it in neutral and coast. Actually I do that with all my manual transmissions synchronized or not.

12. Just like driving a big truck with a Fuller!

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yep, only use the clutch to start or stop. Learned how on a Fuller 9 speed in a cabover, was gravy after that. Was told I couldn't float shift a Mack, said the gears were too coarse, proved that theory wrong. I even forget to use the clutch in my run around Ranger sometimes!