Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest 1940s art deco nailhead valve covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buickvalvenut, Jun 17, 2019.

1. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

Are they using real fine silica sand? Most use coarse sand wich makes molding harder.

2. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

Screenshot_2018-09-24-15-12-32.png fou drys dont want to strugle due to production time,but i am in no rush.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

I'm not sure which sand they use. Most of the castings I get from my foundry need a bit of flash removed and some corners cleaned out. I don't have a lot of foundry options for the small quantities I do from loose patterns. If I did match plates I'd probably have a cleaner casting, but I can spend many hours with a die grinder for what it'd cost to make a plate pattern.

buickvalvenut likes this.
  4. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

The sand i use is so fine i will catch and cast finger prints. 7f silica sand from Okinawa Japan. More expensive, but cleaner result with minimal grinding and finishing. Its about double the price.the finer the sand the easier the part will slide out.
    Many of the finned covers in the 50s were cast with minimal draft as well. Im using two part patterns,top half and a core box. Its less work and eliminates fliping the two halfs together. Mold both halfs and drop the cope over the drag once ready. More pattern making work and material but its ok. Most if not all foundrys will reguse to mold the patterns due to the time to make them. Back in the days when foundry work was common it woudnt have been a problem.

5. SS327

SS327

I'm sorry, I did not mean to piss you off. I just meant if the crest was clear (no line through it) people could have Buick or Eight or whatever milled on them with less cost. I do think you did a nice job on them and they look like a quality product.

Denny

kidcampbell71 and buickvalvenut like this.
  6. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

I am not pist off Denny. But you have to keep in mind that what I am offering is my art. Its meant to be used as is,but can be reworked like kustoms are if not happy. It wont take much to remove a section off the crest but thats up to the consumer and im sure atleast one will try it. No harm done bud.

7. BJR

BJR

Sorry I "took the easy way out" and put a 472 Cadillac motor in my 49 Buick. I was just trying to clarify what I thought Denny was saying. Nothing more.:)

8. Hey Buickvalvenut

any closer to production on these ?

kidcampbell71 and firstinsteele like this.
  9. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

Sorry,but was dealing with health problems. Just got back to it couple week back in making the flask. I am a one man party please bare with me here. Some time this yr

kidcampbell71 and firstinsteele like this.
  10. David Bryan

David Bryan

I noticed the valve covers, I have a 59 nail with a set of the TA rockers that I haven't installed yet. Ive heard that the TA roller rockers have a few issues that I will have to deal with one being the rocker arm clearance. Ive heard the factory steel covers can clear the TA rockers. I have the nail in a 56 f100 big window, was in the truck when I bought it. The truck brings back memories of working on my dads 56 with same engine combination. Do your valve covers have any more clearance than the normal aluminum valve covers normally available, I would be interested in a set of them if so.

11. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

Taller and wider. I made em that way to clear roller rockers. Im still sorting thi gs out over here. Its a new pattern so i have to make the molding box as well. That crapy home depot lumber is giving me hell with the molding box,..almost ready to start casting.

12. goetzcr

goetzcr

Still available? I’m interested depending on price. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. His last post was the one just above, almost a year ago.

14. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Wow, I just saw this post, amazing work, I wonder if they were ever produced?

15. goetzcr

goetzcr

Interested. If still available, could you PM me the price?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.