Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What's with the Corvette guys?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52HardTop, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm a little slow at the key board.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Had a friend with a C4 that always parked taking up 2 spots.
    I asked her why one day and got "the look"
    My only comment was that it had 260+thousand miles on it and road rash....what are you afraid will happen?
    Almost didn't get a ride back 15 miles to where my "I wouldn't be caught dead in it" ratty truck was sitting.

3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

161A655C-18CF-4557-892F-7710417DA535.jpeg CC8E6D89-B8A8-465B-90CC-0622E129E613.jpeg BCB13E7A-2CBE-4F13-8096-BC14BEEAE03E.jpeg 87579B2C-9D0C-44B7-8864-9E7AC09B2D0C.jpeg 4CA9DDC5-AA11-4A2A-8A33-3FC4B89E2A44.jpeg 8FA4181F-72D7-437B-97F4-1A3F115FEAEF.jpeg 930F19D2-23D4-4681-9AE0-7A492545B495.jpeg The corvette guys hate me......

4. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I think the issue is that many corvette owners are not car guys.

I could go down to the Chevy dealer and buy/lease/finance a corvette and it would be fast and shiny and people would be impressed by it.

That’s not being a car guy.

My friends drove to Maine with a trailer to buy a Hillman husky out of a field. Every Monday night we get together to work on the car and have a few drinks and BS. We built our own frame, and it’s getting a 302 Chevy with a tunnel ram. All of the labor is from friends and most of the parts are from swap meets and trading off of friends. When it’s done it will be fast and shiny and people will be impressed by it. That makes you a car guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. It can't be an elitist thing because Jeep guys are the same way except-the dirtier the Jeep the better the wave.
    By the way....I've never seen you in the Corvette Racing jacket we bought you for Christmas. It even had the padded left elbow too......the guys in the club are going to take you off the list.:)

6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

:D :D :D

Atwater Mike and Deuces like this.
  7. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I was wondering if others saw what I saw with vette owners. They are not a friendly bunch at all. They live in a different world than the rest of us do

8. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Harley guys are notorious for not waving back to other non-Harley guys.

catdad49, robracer1, Montana1 and 3 others like this.
  9. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I won a trophy for my replica cobra at a show hosted by the corvette club.

They don’t have that show anymore, maybe I’m the reason?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. 29moonshine

29moonshine

vet people are not much different than the high dollar street rodder or purest who can not do any thing but write a check

Kato Kings, rudestude, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  11. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

To again quote Shania Twain " So ya got a car, that don't impress me much". I love vettes, hot rods, bikes and trucks and wouldn't mind a Prius every time I go to the gas station. If discretionary funds were plentiful I'd drive a Tesla. I'll wave to anyone who waves with more than one finger. Some just need to get a life.

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

At car shows , just tell them "boy that looks good". When they grin or say thanks , tell them I am talking about your wife/girlfriend.:D

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  13. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

We've got two pages of put-downs of Corvette guys. What makes all of you so special that's
    it's okay to put the bad rap on them?

I bought my first 'vette, a '63 roadster, in 1971 when I was 21. I immediately noticed that
    other 'vette drivers would shoot me a wave or simply point a finger. It caught me off
    guard but I learned quickly enough what the deal was. It continued after the purchase
    of my '69 ragtop.

In the mid to late '70s (forty years ago) owners of new Corvettes thought the wave was
    a goofy thing and didn't bother acknowledging others. That started a thing called
    "Save The Wave", a way, I suppose, of keeping the brotherhood of Corvette owning a
    special thing. Corvettes generally had a low production run yearly so it was kool to be
    part of that exclusivity.

Why is wearing a "CORVETTE" cap or t-shirt any different from wearing a
    "Roadster Shop" t-shirt or NHRA ball cap?

MG 63 Corvette 3.JPG

enloe, Deuces, Allmotor and 4 others like this.
  14. Okay, there are some vette owners with a stick up their ass along with a host of other car owners. What I see a lot is the joker that has to have whatever is currently in vogue. Every time the generation changes they have to get one and drive it until the lease is up and they're on to the new Datsun Z or whatever is the wannabe vehicle. These aren't car guys, they're trendoids.

I have a buddy that's a Mustang head and noticed when we're in either of my vettes other vette owners wave. He thought that was pretty cool. He tried it in his Mustang waving to another Mustang and the guy gave him the finger.

els, slowmotion, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  15. ...............................I guess it's just that perceived "exclusivity" thing.

OLSKOOL57 and wraymen like this.
  16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are "special"

WiredSpider and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. ..............Love it. I think we all know you're a car guy, Mark.:D

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  18. ..............................Trendoids..........That's classic. I love it when new words get created for specific situations.:)

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

No, motorcycle guys are always pointing to the ground. I guess they are just letting each other know where they are gonna end up....

Petejoe and Flathead Dave like this.
  20. ..........Well said.

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I just figured I would have fun with my vette. stock sure isn't any fun

charleyw, bowie, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  22. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Keep us updated on how that works out for you.

23. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Well I don’t want to hyjack this thread (I’m sure some wish otherwise) but I have found that times have changed when I’m out driving the old ratty GTO. I get waves (full hands!) from all kinds of cars. Last week I took the fam to a graduation party. A ‘66 mustang waved and so did a new Challenger. I told my kids 30 years ago a Pontiac guy only waved at other Pontiacs, certainly never a non-GM brand. I get stopped every time I’m getting gas from all ages and types of people. At the party the old ratty looking bomb was the hit. My youngest and I are sitting on the stairs talking to each other (we didn’t really know anyone) and this little old lady walks in all excited about an old “Goat” out front. She even guessed the year! Yep, took her for a ride! We stopped to get pizza on the way home and come out with a guy taking pictures of it. Harley guy gives us the wave on the way home.

No one waved at me when I was 17 driving my ‘66 GTO, now it seems everyone waves and wants to talk about it regardless what they are driving. Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Driver50x, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. Who knew?! Old GTOs are chick magnets!:D

25. FAC56E66-07CB-45A7-8826-FD47F9FA9FA3.jpeg The only numbers that match are VIN tag and title, planning a new stroker motor build. I always wave at old cool cars from the 70’s and down, hell sometimes even an eighties car if I like it.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  26. I think you have to differentiate between the 'eras" of Corvettes. The newer crowd with the 1980s and up Vettes are not really car guys for the most part. They own cars that you seldom have to work on, you just drive them. The older, 1970s and back are mostly owned by old guys that know how to work on cars and are more likely to acknowledge another car guy in a collectible or otherwise interesting car. I have had 5 Vettes and currently own one and never thought of myself as snobby. Maybe they don't wave because they don't consider themselves to be in the same category as you. Or they are like me and don't wave because they don't like anybody....:eek:

dan31, logride, LBCD and 5 others like this.
  27. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is not the Corvette that I have a problem with (I had a couple in the late 60's) but it usually the Corvette people.

They are like Mormon missionaries in that you can pick them right out in a crowd.

28. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Back in the early sixties my uncle had a new Volkswagen and all the other Volkswagen drivers would wave as they passed. Maybe that's what started it all.
    Since I live in a fairly small town, I only wave if I recognize someone unless riding the Harley and then there is the finger point towards the ground unless you're passing the local outlaw bikers and then it's eye's straight ahead. I don't see any difference between driving a old car and waving at strangers and expecting them to wave back and driving a Corvette and not wanting to wave back at every stranger that waves.
    Alcohol or therapy could help with your problem.

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. My favorite Corvette joke... the reaction you get will tell you which type of owner they are.

An elephant is walking through the jungle when he hears a faint cry for help. His curiosity aroused, he decides to investigate. He follows the cries to find a mouse trapped in a hole too deep to get out of. He looks in, then prepares to move on but the mouse sees him and starts pleading; Mr. Elephant, please help me! I know I'm only a mouse, but I'll pay you back someday for your help! The elephant ponders this for a moment then asks how the mouse can possibly help him? The mouse replies I don't know right now, but I will pay you back somehow. All you have to do is put your trunk in here, I can climb right out! The elephant replies that he won't use his trunk as it's very sensitive, but he allows that he could lower his penis down and the mouse could climb that. The mouse agrees, the elephant does, and the mouse escapes the hole. The mouse profusely thanks the elephant, the elephant replies yeah, sure, your welcome and they both go their way...

Some time passes...

The mouse is walking through the jungle and hears bellows for help. He follows the noise and comes upon an elephant trapped in a hole. He recognizes the elephant as the one that helped him and shouts Mr. Elephant! I'm the mouse you rescued, I'll get you out of there! The elephant spots the mouse and says how can you, a mere mouse, possibly get me out? The mouse replies I can get you out, just wait a bit! The mouse returns home, comes back in his Corvette and pulls the elephant out. A happy ending... :D

The moral of the story? If you have a big penis, you don't need a Corvette....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.