Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Quandary

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 24, 2019.

1. You are so close, unload the suburban and through it at your roadster. HRP

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and dana barlow like this.
  2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Perspective dose grow with age they say,I'm supposed to know better by now !!!. I was not going to do another car @ 77,no time,no $,no space ,but darn I keep some how collecting what I think are cool parts !!!! Too many things ,they kind of fall together in my head,and look like a cool hot rod between my ears. It's so bad,I gave the idea an pile of parts a name; "Hubba Hubba" call the pile ,it's mostly 1917 Hupp roadster body n windshield with 1924 Hupp grill shell,headlights n mounts,armshocks,35front axle mis/spindles an bones,Corv. box,53 Merc V8{running w truck tran on it) a 2x2man n 2 94s!! This pile seems to be magnetic or something. No No No,I have no room,no $ ,no time,Help help help !!!!!!!!!got too get this stuff gone ! Only really need nice running 312Y again.
    I have way more then enough prob.to keep my old high school hot rod still running an helping my Son w his "T" an friands rods. 005 (2).JPG PDR_2241.JPG

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

same kind of problem rich people have - have plenty of money and too many companies - but, starting up a new company from the ground floor keeps the juices flowing

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You're onto me!

5. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I'm thinking very hard of selling the '57 but then I have to figure out what to do next. I have a two car garage, I'm 71, I've got some minor aches and pains, I'm on a fixed income, I don't want to build something from the ground up and fight the DMV to register it, I may just buy someone else's finished ride but then it would never truly be mine...

I'm going to go take a nap.

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Careful there Danny, if you get to close to Bob in his way of thinking, you'll be screwed, your mind will go blank :D

Whatever you know or knew about wiring or automotive electrical systems in general will all vanish.

Like the robot said on Lost in Space ... Danger Will Robinson :D:D

7. Love those lens in the Hupp headlights. HRP

8. This is simply an addiction for which there is no treatment and so far, I haven't found a cure for

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not me..I'm done. I'll drive my '56 because it's comfortable for it's age, I'll drive my LSR roadster at El Mirage every year to remember I'm a young 75, and I'll help my son put our first race car (1940 Chevrolet Coupe) on the street by building another 302 GMC. (His 1/2 mile dirt Super Stock is always in need of repair too)
    Not that ever had a lot but I know when to ease back, help others, and have the fond memories. Living on a 60' x 100' lot with a 1500 sq ft house in a SoCal OC suburb (best weather in the country) is hard for some to understand and it is if you like cars and always wished for more room. But more room would have more clutter and junk and if you saw what I have now and saved you would definately roll your eyes.
    Just keep all the fun stuff coming....and keep smiling with a good attitude.;)....

10. I do a lot of builds in my head, but looking at the cost to do one in these times discourages me. Thought of buying a finished car, but just can't stand the thought of driving someone else's creation.

11. Onelow64

Onelow64

I'm scratching the itch now. Been having it yearly since I finished my 64 SS Impala, about 6 years ago. Unfortunately I found it my 51 Merc isn't quite HAMB material for the bulk of the project. I will be sharing some of the pics of my more traditional mods. I'm with you Primer, I enjoy the troubleshooting and fab work that comes with building.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Heading to a hoarder site Sunday. 110 cars plus 60 trucks the family wants gone.
    Think I’m going to run into temptation??
    I’ve been asked to help identify and sell for the family. Didn’t ask for pictures so no idea what all is there.
    I’ll post a thread when I’m there. For now it’s just a teaser post,lol

13. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

74 and my attitude is download.jpg

dan31, ladyhrp, Sky Six and 4 others like this.
  14. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I'm working on a trade for a 1955 Chevy pickup for my next project.

15. I’d be honored to have your Suburban if I had a place to keep it indoors and the money to buy it. It would make the perfect vehicle for our Route 66 trip with our nine year old son. I wished I lived closer Denny!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3W JOHN, ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I always said when I started building the convertible that it would be the last one I build for myself. I’m building the 42 Chevy for my daughter and I will be glad when I finish it.

17. trollst

trollst

No quandary (big word) for me, I have two cars, thats two more than I dreamed I'd ever have, was offered $60.000 for my 36 recently, I'm a bit blown away by that. No sale though, its part of me. Seems this past year my desire to build another car got up and left, I think I'll concentrate putting on some miles.

3W JOHN, lumpy 63, ladyhrp and 2 others like this.
  18. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

Hrp go get yourself a roadster project you both want one

19. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Always until I look at my wallet....:eek:

20. ...actually just had that thot today,..already have the projects waiting, a 50 Plymouth club coupe and a 53 IH pickup,...don't need any more old cars runnin,...have 5 runnin now, but still enjoy the builds;...just gotta make some room to work and shuffle some stuff around.

21. Dennis D

Dennis D

Helping a friend on his car helps the itch. I did just purchase an old Penton dirt bke to redo. Doubt that I will ever be able to ride it in the woods when I get done with it, but it makes me smile to think of the fun I use to have on 'em. D

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and ladyhrp like this.
  22. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

Danny says he needs to sell the coupe first.

23. gene-koning

gene-koning

I'm getting to the finishing stages of the 3rd "last build" right now. Somehow, there is another "last build" project sitting on my driveway.... I'm kind of at a point I like sitting in my chair in the shop and looking at the new project sitting on the driveway. I sat and stared at the "just about done" project for a couple years before I did anything with it, and I've been working on it for about a year and a half since I actually got started on it.

My son has a big project going on right now, he keeps wanting me to go over and help him. Its a pretty cool project, a few years ago I would have been all over it, but right now I really don't have much desire to work on his project. I am going to the place he is working on it tomorrow afternoon, sit in his chair, point and grunt some instructions. We will see how that goes.

This is all sort of new to me, I retired from my welding shop last Oct and I'm getting pretty used to not doing work for others on their dead lines. Gene

24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I dunno. I just turned 60 this year, so I'm still a lot younger than a lot of you guys, but the length it has taken me to get my car back on the road has pretty much made me come to the conclusion I don't need to get anything else. I know when I semi retire and start working part time in a couple of years I'll have more time to do stuff, but less $$$$$.

I've got my late son's OT 82 F100 I'd like to do in memory of him, but haven't been able to even think about it much. And I'd love to have an impractical 27 T or a Model A roadster, bare bones, fenderless hot rod, preferably fiberglass so I wouldn't have to deal with rust, but I just don't see it happening.

Wife told me I could trade or sell her OT 88 Firebird Formula 350 and put the money into my car, but anything I like is either too much money or a total basketcase project, no happy medium. And Gen III F bodies aren't exactly bring big dollars yet, so it would be hard to get what it's actually worth right now. I ain't giving it away, I'll hang on to it before I'll take a huge loss.

I still look for that once in a lifetime deal though. You never know when something might pop up.....

HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  25. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i love these kinds of post. it makes me realize how screwed i am. i am 70 and got about 22 projects to do. think i'll make it?

26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I think I will be looking for one next spring. Just what it will be is up in the air though. If a solid '55 or '56 Crown Victoria comes along, I will probably snatch it up.

27. Has anyone seen my bottle of enthusiasm/ get up an go pills,
    I put them down a couple of years ago and can't find them.?
    Like some of you in my head and drifting thoughts I can really build
    another car, and with all the knowledge that I have gained over the years
    it's not so daunting........... BUT...............I can't find my pills.
    Still looking:(

HOTRODPRIMER, 3W JOHN and trollst like this.
  28. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

if we were closer id swap you my 32 roadster project for that coupe

29. topher5150

topher5150

I don't have a problem guys.....I can quit anytime I want to

30. I was in your boat not too long ago. I didn't have 22 but I had about 15-18, can't really remember how many. So since it took me a thousand years to get one done, I realized I would not live long enough to finish more than 3 or 4 so I sold a lot of them. Now I am down to 6 good cars and 4 junkers. Still debating on what to do. I am STILL not getting any younger...dammit.