Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods PCV Valve Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by freeflynstl, Jun 24, 2019.

1. freeflynstl

freeflynstl

I've got a Big Block Chevy in an early Chevy II. Looking to replace my valve cover breather with a PCV Valve. The valve covers I have are an old Ansen valve cover. The breathers are a twist in style breather and I can't seem to find an adapter or twist in style grommet. Maybe I don't know what the hell I need so that's why I'm here. Any help would be appreciated. See the attached photo for reference. Engine Bay.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Andy from STL

2. squirrel

squirrel

It would probably be more obvious what you need, if you were to remove one of the breathers so we can see how it attaches :)

But anyways, the breather setup on those seem to be a sort of copy of the original valve covers on a big block. What's missing is the holes in the valve cover above and towards the middle, where the PCV and breather would fit. The twist in holes are meant for a fill cap, not a breather. And there needs to be an oil separator (a good baffle) under the holes where the breather and PCV valve go.

Or you could use the one above, or maybe a stock Ford cap from the 70s.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...1970/ford/ltd?q=Oil+Filler/Breather+Cap&pos=0

3. Or just drill out the boss in the top edge of the valve cover where I believe it was supposed to go.

squirrel likes this.

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True but he would still have to block off one of those holes those breathers are in or the PCV would just suck the air out the one valve cover and not really provide any benefit.

6. The stock oil fill cap would need to go into the valve cover on the side with the PCV to draw properly.