Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Jun 19, 2019.

1. When we got our 1953 IH R-130, the engine was stuck. We towed it around a little with an M Farmall with no luck. I pulled the head and 1 cylinder had corn and mouse nest in it. Guess which cylinder was stuck? The exhaust valve was open and the little f$&kers walked up the exhaust pipe. I got it unstuck and she runs pretty good now.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Deuces

Deuces

tenor (1).gif
    Needs more butter......

3. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I used to work in an office at the end of a government warehouse. We had some of those older metal desks with the Formica type tops. We were having a mouse problem, so my boss stuck his lunch in a desk drawer. At lunch time, he opened the drawer and found that mice had gotten into his lunch bag and chowed down....and sh*t like they always do.
    He got a mouse trap and put it in his desk drawer before leaving that day.
    When he came in the next morning, he opened the drawer and found that the trap had caught a mouse and killed it.......Then the mouses buddies had eaten him. There was a head and some tail left along with a few chunks of fur and blood everywhere.
    My boss removed the drawer and took it out to the garbage....and from that day on, his desk was missing a drawer.

So, I have my doubts about blood scaring them off.

bobss396, chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Practically indestructible. The wheeled chairs too, they were issued complete with a 1 ea. distinctive squeak that I think probably had its own federal stock number (NSN)

chryslerfan55, Deuces and ekimneirbo like this.
  5. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

First let me say that basically I love animals, but I recognize that they can pose some dangers. The thing about cats statistics is that it not just bites, but seemingly superficial scratching that is dangerous....and doesn't show up in statistics. Then things can go wrong with your health and you never know it originated from a simple scratch. Read up on "Cat Scratch Fever" and you might be surprised....especially about kids.
    Just to show I'm an equal opportunity bitcher....
    I used to walk several miles every morning in a rural area. One morning I was surrounded by three pit bulls and a buddy of theirs. Luckily I had knew one of their names and after looking confused, they wandered away. Had several other dogs along my route that would sometimes act a little aggressive, but there was one in particular that was just downright vicious .
    One morning he ran about a hundred feet from his master and was within 2 feet, lunging, growling and snarling.....and ignoring his master's calls. The guy put up an electric fence. The dog would come on a dead run, and then pull up about 15 feet from me. I know he had attacked a lady and torn her jogging suit. I started carrying a gun with me, and the owner moved the dog to another place.

Last year my niece volunteered at a lady's private animal shelter. They had a bloodhound/bulldog mix that had been a pet for about 10 years, and had been given to the shelter because it's owner had cancer. My niece entered the cage to feed the dog and it savagely attacked her. It ripped and shredded the meat from her upper arms, and bit her on the chest and back. It would not let go even though the shelter owner hit it with different things. Finally she opened a car door and asked the dog to go riding....it let go and jumped in the car.
    My niece spent almost a month in the hospital. At first they thought they were going to have to amputate her left arm, but they were able to save it. She has had multiple surgeries and more to come. Her arms are drastically mishappened and she has limited movement and her life has been ruined. She also has little hand movement, cannot drive and can only feed herself by using a special spoon that attaches to her hand.

This post has absolutely nothing to do with mice or cats, but I wanted to show that by talking about the Cat Scratch problem I was not intending to pick on cats. I also had two dogs of my own last year. One was a pit bull/dalmatian mix.....and she was the sweetest and gentlest dog you could find. Got cancer and had to have her put to sleep. Still have her buddy though.

Old wolf and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Dave Hawksford

Dave Hawksford

I like to keep a black snake in the shop

Deuces and Old wolf like this.
  7. I'll take mice long before a snake!

8. I have trapped furbearers since I was a small child. and I learned to be successful you have to remove odors. All animals have territory and mark that territory by leaving a scent. That keeps other animals from invading their territory. So I was talking about steel traps and mostly pack rats. So perhaps I catch a dominate rat and he leaves his scent & blood smell on the trap. other rats are not likely to go near the scented trap. his mate and her current litter might possibly go near. and might possibly eat hin themselves. I have trapped rats and found a mostly eaten carcass.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. roger didonato

roger didonato

Fresh Cab pleasant smell works for me .Tractor supply has it

10. My brother got mixed up with a feral cat in his crawlspace and the cat scratched him and bit him on the way out... he had to do the rabies shot series.

chryslerfan55 and Old wolf like this.
  11. Ive caught Bobcats in traps. Those things are fierce. I wouldn't want to be attacked by one. Something got a setting hen last nite. She had hid her nest outside of the coop. From the evidence it was a bobcat or coyote. Im preparing traps now. I will suspend a cage with a live chicken from a wire . and set multiple jaw traps below it. buried shallow in the ground. wax paper over the trip pans and peat moss sifted over the top. Boil my traps & wear gloves should be successful.

chryslerfan55 and Truck64 like this.
  12. Ziggster

Ziggster

From another forum I used to frequent. Left his truck in the barn during the winter and now has to remove the entire dash...
    image.jpeg

chryslerfan55 and Old wolf like this.
  13. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

About 15 years ago my parents were at their lake, Mom sitting in a chair by the dam while Dad was close by working on an irrigation pump. Mom saw a gray fox approaching, called for Dad. The fox was going to bite, Dad whacked it with a large stick killing it. Fox tested positive for rabies and they both had to have shot series since fox saliva got on them.
    You don't mess around with rabies.
    My neighbor shot his rabid dog, then carried it off to bury it. He didn't get shots but was ok. That was just luck.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

14. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

My 90 year old aunt was bitten by a cat she adopted, spent a week in the hospital, almost lost her hand.
    I still have a cat, no mice in the house though I have my thoughts about if the cat is the reason. I have found some evidence in the garage, going to make one of the 5 gallon bucket traps and set it up and see what happens.

15. Friend had a black snake in his garage to deal with the mice. We went to a show together and I had him carry our small cooler in the trunk of his Merc. When we popped the lid the cooler was suspended in the air by ol blackie. Friend said, oh there you are! We both vanished right quick.