Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods UPS Claims issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemiboy, Jun 20, 2019.

1. hemiboy

hemiboy

Has anyone besides me gotten the run around from UPS Claims department?

2. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope, bet you are the only person. Ever. In the whole history of the worlds. FedEx on the other hand...

Spooky, Truck64 and uncleandy 65 like this.
  3. I heard that ups and FedEx are going to merge.

It's going to be called; Fed Up!

83Squarebody, Spooky, LBCD and 7 others like this.
  4. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Never had any claims with UPS, but FedX is another story

5. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Here's how it works. If you pack the shipment adequately, it will get there without damage. If it gets damaged, you did not pack it adequately. Your fault, not UPS's. Claim denied.

6. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Cost me 5K to learn that.

Oldmics

Spooky likes this.
  7. Eddie

Eddie
    from Georgia

That's correct, I found out the hard way. You are wasting your money on their insurance if you did the packing. UPS manager said that if they do the packing and you buy their insurance there are "no questions asked" if damage occurs. Their packing is pricey also.
    Eddie

8. hemiboy

hemiboy

Gee, nice to know that I’m not the only one!

9. Not a package, but did have a UPS truck piss oil all over my 350 long driveway a few years ago, called the local depot and they had a contractor out 2 days later that pressure washed my whole driveway. Looked better than new

10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

To be fair a lot of folks don't come even close to securing and packaging items correctly. It doesn't matter the shipper, whether it's USPS or Fed Ex or UPS, they don't (well not very often) purposefully try to destroy things.

egads likes this.
  11. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Nope. Even if they do the packaging, you are still screwed. I had a 34 Ford door packaged by a UPS Sore (cost about $150 for the horrible "packaging" job) and bought $750 worth of insurance. My once pristine door arrived barely still in the box and with plenty of new damage. UPS denied and denied and denied and said it was up to the UPS Store to pay for it. Well of course the UPS Store denied and denied and denied that it was UPS's fault. I couldn't even get my "packaging" fee returned. Long story short, UPS has the worst customer service of any business I have ever dealt with. I refuse to ship thru them.

RMR&C, WiredSpider and Truck64 like this.
  12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Over the last 40 years of being in business I've had claims with USPS, UPS, Fed X, and various trucking companies and have yet to collect a dime. Might as well piss into a 40 mph wind!

Truck64 likes this.
  13. KenC

KenC

I've had claims with UPS and Fedex. Never received payment from UPS. Fedex paid promptly. Even allowed my customer to retain the product and paid the damage claim (repair cost) directly to them. The usual deal is payment to the shipper.

And make it more unusual: The product was an antique stained glass window. Arched Eyebrow over an entry, 5ft wide 3ft tall. Packaged by yours truly. Paid anyway.

WiredSpider likes this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

I've been using UPS for decades, and never had a problem with them (aside from the high price)

I've had a few USPS packages disappear, fortunately the folks I ordered the stuff from replaced them. Not very valuable items.

I'm pretty good about packing things well, I understand the basic concept of packing, which is to make it so the object cannot move inside the box. Seems there are quite a few folks who can't grasp that.

15. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Squirrel nailed it. When I was in High School Physics, the teacher had us package a raw egg in a shoe box. He threw them off the roof of the school. Most were smashed. Mine made it. A couple layers of Styrofoam inside the box. A couple layers of foam rubber inside that. Light weight, stiff, the egg couldn't move.

I worked Shipping and Receiving for many years. Carriers may not damage stuff on purpose, but they don't take particular care with it either. And the closer to Christmas, the worse it is.

Black_Sheep and alanp561 like this.
  16. nickleone

nickleone

I had a shipping store for 21+ years. Yes I had a few claims. If the carrier did not quickly pay the claim I did and fought with the carrier. On the carriers web site there are packaging requirements. I am now retired.

Nick

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

been working at a warehouse now for 13 years. untold number of packages sent UPS and not ONE claim of damage. was an ebay seller and still am now and then, 3000 packages shipped mostly USPS and FED EX and ONE box got damaged when I shipped a long piece of trim in a long box when I should have used a mailing tube.
    if you are having problems with damage it most likely is NOT the carrier.

as for the UPS store boxing a package for you.... if you are building cars from junk you should be more than capable of building a sturdy shipping box. I gaurantee you there is no one working at a shipping store who could build a better box than me.

alanp561 likes this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought some stuff from the Bob K auction and it showed up last week in a box that Looked like cheap charlie was paying for the tape as there was the bare minimum of tape on it. Everything was in the box but my mailman was worried something might have fallen out. Not the post office's fault as it was one of the worse jobs of packaging I have ever seen on a package I received.

My daughter is a supervisor at the main Costco Call center and one of her tasks used to be calling UPS on damaged TV sets. One was a 60 inch flat screen that had several large footprints on the box. She is good at getting claims taken care of though.

Truck64 likes this.
  19. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I’ve built crates to ship expensive items.
    Logic is simple. Customer pays $1500 for a item I can spend $50-75 of my own money to make sure it arrives without damage.
    Buyers remember that and will tell friends.
    I also package items as if I was going to receive it.

safetythird, alanp561 and 5window like this.
  20. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I bought a grill half for my 39 buick, the idiot who shipped put it in a box that was 1/2 inch smaller than the grill 1/2. Grill arrived in several pieces. Got my $$ back but still did not have a grill.

21. Yeah, they lost a radio I sent to a fellow member, I was told I didn't need extra insurance because it was insure for up to one hundred buck, the calm the left it on the owners front porch but no one signed for the package.

I just got fed up with their run a round, I argued with them for several months and they never made restitution, I refuse to do business with them and we ship a lot of product, that 100 dollars has cost them thousands, but it doesn't hurt them but it makes me happy to spend money else where. HRP

Corn Fed, dirty old man and Truck64 like this.
  22. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

I have shipped with UPS for over 30 years and have had a few claims. They've always been prompt paying. Only one was for damage, the others for lost items. USPS is a different story......

47ragtop likes this.
  23. 47ragtop

47ragtop

Agreed !! USPS lost some parts I sent and they even tracked it to Denver .. After 6 months they agreed it was gone but 1 year plus later I still haven't collected from their insurance . later Bill

24. When we were an associate dealer for Navistar International, we got UPS shipments of parts every day. This moron driver would back into the shop, open the back door and start pitching shit out the back of the truck. The back of his truck looked like they stood the damn thing on its nose and loaded it with a front end loader. That really inspired confidence in their operation.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. das858

das858

The first time I shipped a package with UPS , they managed to lose a $450.00 torque converter, of course I new nothing about insurance for the package , they never mentioned it either . This was in about 1983 . Our local UPS shipping "lady " can only be described as surly . I try to avoid UPS at all costs

26. pkhammer

pkhammer

I have had two very well packaged (expensive) items get destroyed by UPS. The key is to document (take photos) of your packing job and when they give their automatic "inadequate packaging" response I not only had proof the item was well packaged but I also had the recipient of the item take more pictures showing the package was hit, thrown or smashed with force. Both claims were eventually paid but it took months of fighting with them. I seldom use UPS now. I've shipped hundreds of items via USPS and never a had problem.

27. ems customer service

ems customer service

if you bought and sold at the swap meet, no shipping damage

KevKo likes this.
  28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I once had FedEx manage to pound out 10 heavy staples, that went through a a metal cap, inside of a heavy walled cardboard tube, and then eject a 51" driveshaft, never to be seen again.

They were nice enough to tape the cap back on, and deliver the empty tube, though!

Fought me every step of the way to cover it, even with insurance. What finally got them to pay was the fact that I had shipped two driveshafts, and one made it, intact.

29. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Share with us what carrier EMS product is shipped with and how often the product incurs damage.

30. toml24

toml24

When I was selling my jalopy book I mailed via USPS Priority Mail close to 2,000 books using Post Office supplied free envelops. Never had any problems reported. I could have shipped via Media Mail or other less expensive means but I wanted to impress upon the buyer that I gave a damn about his book. There is something cool when a Priority Mail package arrives in your daily mail.

ekimneirbo and KevKo like this.