Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A Battery location

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 53OlderThanMe, Jun 18, 2019.

1. I'm trying to find a good location for the battery.

1930 Coupe
    283 sbc
    1939 3 speed and rear

Relocating fuel to the trunk but would like to still maximize available space. I have a 5" recessed firewall and using a blank tank top in place of original tank. Any thoughts for or against mounting battery in the cab on the inside of the firewall?

Would still put battery inside some type of box to hide it. IMG_20190618_190931.jpeg IMG_20190618_191015.jpeg 1649333255.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dana barlow likes this.
  2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

In my opinion only...
    If you have clearance under the right rear rectangle that is stamped / rolled into the trunk floor,
    cut along the inside of the beads...
    make a battery box you can lower into the hole with a matching flange all the way around...
    leave vertically welded flat washers on the flanges, will help lift out the battery box...
    make notches around them in the B B cover... bolt through both box and cover...
    with a couple bunji cords the washers will also let you tie down that door prize you may win !

Flathead Dave and 53OlderThanMe like this.
  3. That's a good idea, I don't want it too visible under the car but I do have a cut down 32 rear bumper I need to mount that will help hide it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

try looking into atv or riding mower batteries. some have over 500 cca. they are small and compact. plus lightweight. got mine at local hardware store ,works great. just look for posts that have bolts to hook cables to.

53OlderThanMe likes this.

5. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

6. The battery on my AVATAR (which is a '32) is mounted in a bracket that is a mirror image of the bracket on the drivers side of a '32. I know the "A" is different but this might be something to consider.

Charlie Stephens Card1 034.jpg

53OlderThanMe and Flathead Dave like this.
  7. wicarnut

wicarnut

IMO, Think about somewhere accessible, It will fail sooner or later, usually in the middle of nowhere, late night, raining, etc. Again IMO, use a common size/type easily purchased when said battery craps out so you can get back on road. This comes from many miles cruising down the road with friends/groups, Its seem to be always the PIA well hidden, near impossible to get at battery that dies. This free advice is worth the price you paid.

8. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

under the dash on the passenger side . a small dry cell fits fine , mount it sideways for easy access

9. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

Behind the seat in front of the gas tank?

10. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I measured the battery out of my 42 inch zero turn mower which is pretty small. It will fit up on the right hand rear fender well. So I bolted a mount up there and that is where it is going to go. They aren't very large so they only last a couple years but they are only $50 a pop at advance auto and a flathead Model A doesn't require too much cranking power. Ignore the battery in the pic. It was what I had on hand for the initial fire up of the motor after it was rebuilt and not the one being used in the mount.
    20190619_084447.jpg

11. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

pretty girl at the parts store informed me that all batteries have a code …
    higth, width, depth and post location... mine is a 58... an R is added if the posts are reversed...
    if I need a battery for any car, I buy a 58 in case I ever need to stuff it into the rod...

12. 5window

5window

Mine in my '31 coupe is in a very similar location. Then, under the running board where it is out of sight, but accessible, is a set of remote terminals for jumping, a shut off switch and a connector for a trickle charger.

13. ydopen

ydopen

202251DF-8247-4057-8134-C8C49324C47C.jpeg I use an Oddysey pc 680 under the seat. This battery was tested for 3 years by CT1932Ford
    and reviewed on here. I have used it for 3 years on my built flathead and it has never failed.
    You do not have a seat riser,but it will mount in any position but upside down.

John

Deadbird, jazz1, 55styleliner and 3 others like this.
  14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mount that odessy (like above) to the firewall on the passenger side, cover it with an old heater case like a southwind. Accessible, hidden, easy to service.

I run a little Oddesy battery, 900 CCA, great technology that no one needs to see.

15. 5window

5window

A very nice clean installation. But, I am not sure I want to be sitting on top of an unventilated battery. Probably unfounded, but?

16. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

its a dry cell battery. no venting needed.

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not necessarily true. From page 17 of the Odyssey manual;
    upload_2019-6-19_20-18-16.png
    The way @ydopen installed his should be just fine but I vented the travel case I used to hold mine as it is tightly sealed and better safe than sorry.

18. sdluck

sdluck

mine is on the rs under the floor,made a lift off cover under the carpet. Charger will hook up to the positive started lead.

19. Scrubline

Scrubline

With these small powerhouse batteries they make now, it's easier to find room for them. I made a tray to mount it on the right side firewall inside my t bucket. Limited room to hide sh*t in a t bucket.

20. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Here is an unfinished sedan I did that to.. Worked well... **clic pic** sedan motor & interior 006_LI.jpg

lothiandon1940 and 53OlderThanMe like this.
  21. Boon BA

Boon BA

mine is behind seat. passenger's side. plenty of room and easy access.

22. Vic Walter

Vic Walter

Mine is also behind the passenger seat. Not finished yet but I do plan a bulkhead between the seats and fuel tank / battery.

trunk25.JPG