Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Yup,fact is that yellowT has Chevy type spindles=arms bolt on ether way,and can be flipped over,making the ackerman right for out front=need longer tie rod is all,but some don't know that.
    I helped a buddy build his red T,he had same type spindles in parts pile with axle for them.
    We faced them too out side front,the rightway for front tie rod. No need to even bend those Chevy type arms,like we do on Ford arms if run out front.
    The photo is Rosh's red T,so arms can be seen. The black "A"bobtail beside it is my hot rod ,I've had from the time I drove it too high school,I'm 77 now.
    . OldBugerkingShow.jpg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  2. RodStRace

RodStRace

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

About 3 weeks ago, I fractured my left arm. They did surgery and installed two pins. I'll be well in about 4 more weeks. In the meantime, my engine is basically done. I'll be installing it when i fully recover. It's a SBC built to 327 specs.

[​IMG]

Tim, brEad, RICH B and 6 others like this.
  4. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Sorry to hear of your injury, hope you heal soon!

5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

So it's 327 cubic inches or its not , sorry I don't understand ???

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Nice looking unit! heal well Fred.:) JW

loudbang likes this.
  7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Not sure why you're confused. It's a 327..... like I stated. 1965 specs.

Blue One and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

About as specific and clear as mud ???? But that's OK , this is the h.a.m.b.....lol

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Reggie Jackson's 'T' was an Andy's Instant T kit...apparently assembled to 'turnkey' at Andy's in the '70s...
    Those 'T's were cleaner than most, I did some work on a low mileage one at my shop...Owner said "Put some miles on it, and fix anything you don't like."
    Girl friend (now wife) and I drove over to Santa Cruz, (35 miles over the treacherous 'hill') to the famous "Beach Street Revival", not a problem with driving, 'overheating'...
    Car was solidly constructed, drove smooth as could be.
    (Andy's tube axle, Ford spindles, '40 front brakes...) Corvair steering box, great driver for a 'bucket'...
    Only thing I did to it was replace the steering mast. (Hated the 'pinch sleeve' on the shaft, 'unsupported mast jacket')
    The Andy's kits were exceptional for their time.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My 'bucket' is a tub. '27. I have a variety of engines, plan has changed a few times...
    When I had my shop, I always had a 'backup' engine, (327 Chev) easy slip-in if I needed it, but had a few roadsters then.
    I'm assembling my nice 59L Merc flathead, mild .040" over, but lots of nice 'stuff'.
    As usual, I have a 283" Chev that's also bored .040" over, with some era-popular stuff...
    Somebody asked me what I'm putting in the 'T', (probably use the Chevy for convenience, the first season) I told the guy the truth: "289..." That's what you get with .040, .060 gets you 292. Anyway...
    Funny...my bored-out Chevy is now in 'Mustang Country'!

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. patman

patman

That sucks Fred! Feel better and heal up quick...

13. Right now a question for the knowledgeable people out there. I'm in the process of putting a taller screen on my bucket so I can put a top on. This will make the car more user friendly during the shoulder seasons when rain is likely. Now I want to know is it only the early body style (15/25) that need the windscreen supports out front or will the later body (26/27)also need them. I've put in a 1 piece screen on repro 27 aluminium posts. I'm making it so during the height of summer I can go back to the low screen for topless cruising (its only 6 bolts) to change them over.

14. Hi, Graham. The 26-27 didn't have them...but in saying that they never went fast enough to need stay rods. The originals are rather strong but not sure how strong the mounting point would be on a glass body. Mine are very solid being all original but a good tapped steel mount on the inside that was glassed in would work fine. JW

loudbang likes this.
  15. Jeremy mine are tapped into the steel frame inside of the body but once you have a hood attached to the top of the posts it adds a wholr new level of stress on posts mounts and glass

16. Originally they all had tops and the posts were very tall. You may need/want to have stays just for the taller screen, it wouldn't look out of place and will give piece of mind. JW

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    chryslerfan55, AndersF and loudbang like this.
  17. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

If it were me,I kind of always liked the folding "T" 2 part stock windshield,even on the wrong year newer body. But it's not done often,I guess the game of making fit is pass some. Thing is if set up for top 1/2 to flip forward an down flat too lower part,it's the low screen look{cool} and up is great for no bugs in eyes an mouth,yum yum.
    Braces/support are good to use going up too center at fold. Tops are mostly when up ,going to limit your top speed to 55mph in most cases/or rip apart above that. I've see a few that can go higher with lots of bracing etc. I did a tech on making folding tops here as part of HAMB.
    Post # 10801 shows a red 23 "T" Rosh's,one I helped with. It's windshield is a fab'ed frame with braces,over 55 is risky for top. Taking top an screen off with braces too,an adding back lower screen for bugs in teeth can be done,on sunny days.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  18. Sorry for the bad pic quality. A mate built this in the mid 80's and if you look close you can see it has a high windshield. It has stays and was good for 150 mph, i know as i was in it and no issue with any mounting points. JW
    [​IMG]

loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  19. I've had no problem running 65 - 70 mph with my top up, but I recovered mine with Haartz cloth top material (OEM Mercedes stuff), and it does seem to strech out a little from all the air pressure. What is more of a problem though, is I do have the stock style folding windshield, and it will start folding the top half of the windshield back on an extended trip. I have brace rods, but they run from the middle of the hinges down to the headlight stands. The hinges are tight as I dare without stripping them, but that top is like popping a chute! Take your foot off the gas at freeway speeds and you instantly drop 20 miles an hour! Car gets such horrible mileage it's hard to say it gets worse, but it definitely takes more throttle to maintain speed. The only pic I have with the top on is horribly fuzzy, but you can mostly make everything out. FB_IMG_1552062774665.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Coool T,,,Turning your windshield hinges so they fold forward vs back ,I think would be good ? What the biggist wind prob. is that rips tops up or off is the truck passing or other gust shock to top.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  21. I,m putting stays on and I'll post pics once the hood is finished. its going to change the whole look of the car ;)

22. Cool, i could have gotten ya some original posts at the LA Roasters Swap Meet yesterday but they were not cheap....nothing was!!
    Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. :cool::) JW

k1w1rodder, loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  23. Dana,

Never thought about reversing the hinges, will have to look into that. Even though I run wind wings, the widening of the body at the rear just causes it to catch massive amounts of air. It's holding up well, but I limit how often I run it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. RodStRace

RodStRace

Blownfuel. I wonder if a vent or 2 would help. Having a slit with an exterior flap so it would be more of a ribbon chute rather than a full chute, so to speak.... preferably not right next to your ears...

loudbang likes this.
  25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

26. verde742

verde742

What an effort..... obviously has talent...

I look at it with the same distaste as those things called the "beast"

Probably havin' a ball,
    what do you do for insurance ?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    dana barlow likes this.
  27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes maybe so but talent at what ? And not much of an eye for style or design :D

28. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Blue One like this.
  29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just to be on the same page, we are all laughing at the SBC, right?

loudbang likes this.
  30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That and the boxy home made body :D

razoo lew likes this.