Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Morris Minor Gasser build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Oct 22, 2016.

1. southcross2631

southcross2631

Figured out my clutch cable set up. I thought I was going to have to make this big elaborate bracket and linkage rod system to go to the pedal. After sitting there and looking at it and thinking about it I came up with a much similar solution.
    I drilled one hole in the pedal used the return spring hole for my top bolt. Then I made a little box for the adjuster to set in and used a hole saw to make the hole and here it is . Easy Peazy.
    I need to make a little bracket for a cable anchor on the frame and get a heat sleeve where it runs over the header tubes and it is done. DSCF3501.JPG DSCF3503.JPG

2. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got my SEGA legal tires mounted today. I also dropped my new distributor in.
    Went to Athens Driveline and gave them my slip yoke and the measurements for my driveshaft.
    They told me Thursday or Friday it will be ready.
    I realized on the way home that other than the machine work on the block . These are the only things that I haven't done myself.
    As soon as I make sure the drive shaft fits ,it will be time to pull the motor and trans out to install the clutch . Finish the metal work on the firewall and paint that . Then get started shooting some color on the car. I have 2 Gallons of school bus yellow single stage urethane and all of the activator and hardener. I will paint the rear fenders to see if I like the color if not I have a gallon DSCF3507.JPG Candy Apple red.

3. AHotRod

AHotRod

I'm excited for you !

Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  4. 6sally6

6sally6

What about two-tone....candy apple red/school bus yeller?!
    6sally6
    I bet that puppy is gonna be a hand full!! (Lotsa fun to drive AND watch)

5. southcross2631

southcross2631

Little by little the things to do list is getting smaller. Got my radiator hoses figured out after an hour at Advance Auto parts going through their hoses. Figured out that a late 80' Toyota 20 R oil filter Purolater part # L10241 fits and clears the steering shaft. Got my clutch cable bracket made. Forgot to pick up a heat sleeve for the clutch cable. DSCF3510.JPG DSCF3509.JPG

6. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got my drive shaft yesterday and it fits so I made my throttle linkage rod from the carb to the pedal.
    Had quite a bend to match up so I braced it a bit.
    Will pull the motor and trans on Thursday so I can install my flywheel and clutch. As soon as I get the metal work done on the firewall ,I can paint it and install the engine and trans and fire it up. DSCF3512.JPG DSCF3511.JPG DSCF3513.JPG

7. southcross2631

southcross2631

Didn't get the motor pulled because of all the rain. My one car garage means that when I pull the motor it has to go outside to put it in my shed until I can put it back in the car.
    I did however managed to install my seat belts and install the seats for the last time. I ended up having to fabricate another bar so my belts wouldn't pull down on my shoulder's and break both collar bones in the event of a crash. I also had to weld in a plate to the chassis for the inside lap belt attachment.
    I also got my return spring for the throttle linkage finished. Hopefully all of the fabrication is done and now it is just pull the motor and install the clutch and reinstall everything and fire it up.
    I still need to bleed the brakes , but that's it mechanically and on to giving it some color. DSCF3517.JPG DSCF3514.JPG

Dog_Patch, Crosley, brEad and 7 others like this.
  8. southcross2631

southcross2631

I couldn't wait any longer . My wife and I put our rain coats on and pulled the motor and put it in my shed.
    About a half hour later the rain stopped and the sun came out. I finished the firewall and will put the clutch in this afternoon. Will be ready to reinstall the motor and trans tomorrow.

9. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Way to go Mike and wifey.

Fiddle Picker, loudbang and enloe like this.
  10. That car looks amazing, I am confident the right person ended up with the car, you have done it justice! HRP

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  11. AHotRod

AHotRod

Awesome Mike ! Congratulations

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds like great progress.

13. southcross2631

southcross2631

Screwed again ! I got my flywheel on and my clutch and pressure plate installed. I went to set my clutch pivot height and the clutch fork that I ordered was too short. It is a Lakewood part and a Lakewood bellhousing ,but there is no way to hook up the clutch cable as the fork barely reaches the edge of the bellhousing.
    I call Summit and their tech guy was lost as a dog with a bible , but he did manage to give me Lakewood's tech number and they knew right away what the problem was and gave me the correct part # .
    So now I have to return this part and they will send the correct one.
    For future reference if anyone is using a Lakewood scattershield and a cable clutch in a Ford application the part # is Lak- 15525. It is longer than the Lak- 15535 that they say works.
    My clutch looks really good .I hope it works like they say it will. The pressure plate is rebuildable for $99.00. It has an aluminum ring to take weight out, and a steel plate for friction. Spec says they have lot's of small tire Mustang's in the 9's with this clutch. DSCF3519.JPG

OahuEli, catdad49, brEad and 4 others like this.
  14. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

With the adversity you've been through, that clutch fork problem is like a freckle on a frog's ass.

15. southcross2631

southcross2631

I decided after looking at it to just cut it and make it longer rather than wait 10 days to 2 weeks for another one that might not work. That way the motor can be back in the car tomorrow night and be running this weekend.

OahuEli, Dog_Patch, brEad and 6 others like this.
  16. I am looking forward to seeing it out side! HRP

Fiddle Picker and enloe like this.
  17. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well the motor and trans are back in the car. The firewall is painted and almost everything is hooked back up. Got a little too much slack in my clutch cable that I need to address. The clutch fork got extended 1 3/4 inches and lines right up with clutch cable.
    My brake parts are supposed to be here tomorrow so I can finish that and get them bled.
    Got to get all of my fluids and then I can piss off the neighbors. DSCF3522.JPG DSCF3520.JPG

GordonC, Dog_Patch, porkshop and 12 others like this.
  18. southcross2631

southcross2631

I thought I would work on the simple stuff today. Like installing the spark plugs, well it went well until I went to put # 8 in and tighten it. That's when I realized after all this time of planning and measuring . I didn't leave enough room for a spark plug socket.
    The room I had to make for the gas pedal and my right foot took up that space. But with the sacrifice of a Chinese socket and the handle to one of my angle grinders. I made a special spark plug wrench for # 8 spark plug.
    The next time I have the motor out I will dress up the spot I had to remove some metal with my air saw. Now the plug goes in and the plug wire does not rub on the firewall. 5 DSCF3524.JPG DSCF3523.JPG minute project took about 2 hours to accomplish.

OahuEli, RigorMorris, enloe and 10 others like this.
  19. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Wow Mike !! Looking Great !! I know you're ready for some noise ! Had to chuckle about your spark plug socket, I still have one cut up like that when the Studebaker had chassis headers. For some reason I am not getting updates from this thread. Trying to keep up with your progress !

20. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got my oil pressure gauge hooked up today. Couldn't do much today , got another shot in my back this morning. Doctor told me to take it easy the rest of the day.
    Went and bought all of my fluids today. I have to work in the morning. When I get home I will fill the motor, trans and rear. Prime the oil pump and make sure we have oil pressure and put some gas in it and see if it will crank up and run. I still haven't fixed the clutch cable so I can't run it through the gears, but one step at a time.

enloe, AHotRod, porkshop and 6 others like this.
  21. southcross2631

southcross2631

One step forward and 2 steps back . Tried to crank the car last night . No spark , so I will have to test the ignition box this afternoon when I get home from work. It came out of a running car that I had . I might have killed it welding on the car with it hooked up. Seen it done before and just forgot to unplug it .

enloe and Fiddle Picker like this.
  22. Seepwater

Seepwater

I have been watching with great interest! I'm just up the road from you in Sweetwater. If you ever need an extra hand, drop me a line!

23. trollst

trollst

So....remember a few pages back.......I'm gonna sell the car, its all over now? Congrats, good job, perseverance is where its at, separates the men from the boys. I just wish the net could provide me with the ability to stand beside it when you fire it, VERY glad to see you still hard at it, LeRoy.

24. southcross2631

southcross2631

I just can't win. I got a shot in my back that helped and now I had to go the emergency room for severe
    case of poison ivy that I got from working at the golf course.
    The doctor gave me a shot and a z-pac and said stay out of the heat for a few days. do I have only gone out in the garage long enough to know that my ignition box is cooked.
    I will be able to afford to buy one next Wed. so it is a waiting game again . I can't start painting because it is supposed to rain until the weekend.
    Oh well life goes on and I just try and stay positive and will try and be ready by the end of July.
    I did manage to figure out my clutch cable. It was a simple remount of my pivot at the pedal and a
    small bracket.

25. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mike,

Keep on keepin' on - you'll get there! The car looks great. I can't wait to see it once it is finished!

Steve

loudbang likes this.
  26. southcross2631

southcross2631

Thanks for the kind words. I have a confession to make . Being so anal about the electrical .I totally forgot that I had pulled the fuse for the ignition box and so no juice means no spark. I traced the wiring
    using the trouble shooting guide that I downloaded.
    it said the little red wire needs 12 volts or no signal and that's when the
    duh ! moment stepped up and said you pulled the fuse to weld on the car. Popped the fuse back in and got spark. By that time it was too late to crank the car as it was time to go to work.
    So tomorrow morning it should be running. Bottom right hand fuse slot marked IGN empty slot. DSCF3494.JPG

OahuEli, catdad49, scott27 and 6 others like this.
  27. At work I always say, “Another quality fix!” You’ll get there. The car is looking great, too!

loudbang and enloe like this.
  28. southcross2631

southcross2631

I would like to announce to the hamb . The awakening of the Morris Minor !! At 6:30 pm on June 21 st 2019, she drew her first breath and it was a loud one the windows rattled scared the hell out my cat and my wife was as happy as I was.
    It has been a struggle for the last few days of trying get this thing to run. It backfired , farted and then flooded. I pulled the plugs and reset everything again figuring I had done something wrong .
    I put it on top dead center and dropped the distributor 3 times . It blew the power valve out of the carb. Then it hit me , this damn thing is firing out of the headers which means late timing.
    I went and looked up the firing order for an old 302 rewired the cap stuck a fresh set of plugs in it. Went over to my neighbors and borrowed his 650 Holley and stuck it on and it fired right up.
    Turns out the guy who sold me the cam told me it was for a 351 firing order and it was for a 302.
    Had I known I would not have bought the cam. Because they changed the firing order to gain power in the H.O. 5.0 which is 351 firing order. Oh well it is mine now and I am looking in the Comp catalog and they have about what I need when I take it apart this winter.
    So I can get me a new power valve and put my carb back on until my new AED carb gets here in about 2 weeks.
    Now I can go ahead and finish my brakes and build my wheelie bars and get it down off jack stands and take it out for a trip around the block. I have gone from back there when I picked it up that hot day in South Carolina with Danny's help to where it is now. 1960  morris minor.png DSCF3525.JPG

OahuEli, AHotRod, catdad49 and 8 others like this.
  29. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

That’s awesome man nothing like the first fire up to get you fired up congrats

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats Mike! It sure is fun when you get 'em fired up for the first time - very rewarding!