Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Not the best, but mine!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jim1932, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Mr. Jim main thing I see is your door handles look straight!

2. Joe Walsh

Chavezk21 likes this.
  3. I had the Glen Echo topper made by O'Briens. My wife's family grew up here in Bethesda (Wood Acres). Trying to get my car actually on the Glen Echo property for some photos. The club I am in is the River Rat's. Mostly people who grew up in Cabin John.

4. koolbeans

koolbeans

Very kool. I grew up on MacArthur Blvd at W street. Bus out front. Street car out back. C&O canal and Potomic river down the hill. Glen Echo was always a destination. Bumper cars the best.
    Sure miss those days. Not a worry all fun.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Clyde Walker

Clyde Walker

As stated before it seems like most criticism and advise you get, you know the kind of advise that starts with: "you should" (insert something you would NEVER do). Comes from people who when you actually engage in a discussion about all things hot rod you find: Know almost nothing, they just converse in cliches'. And you can never get a word in edgewise.

6. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    After an incident, then a few more at the beach with our 1958 Impala and surfboards, brought up a simple question. What makes a surf oriented cruiser transportation? I decided that the Impala, as cool as it is, is just not built for the daily, weekly grind at our local surf spots in the OC. (let alone comments about being cruisers and not surfers) So, when some friends at a party mentioned that “inlanders” drive hot rods and surfers drive woodies/station wagons and vans.

The term inlanders was pointed at those that only go to the beach once, if at all and run around trying to be “local” surfers. But, most of us were inlanders because a small amount of actual surfers live right on the water/shoreline and therefore, anything beyond the PCH street is considered “Inland.” It did not matter that we were some of the "best" riders in the waves, the inland designation was hard to challenge.

The group I surfed with at the Huntington Beach Pier were from Newport Beach, Huntington, Long Beach and Laguna Beach. They are all considered beach towns as they are shoreline cities. (but, each city has inland areas across the busy PCH that cuts through every town on the coast. ) They were all… “inlanders” who lived across the PCH street in their towns.

So a “local” that lives across the busy PCH in Huntinton Beach is actually an “inlander?” But, it was hard to be information specific to a bunch of “locals.” So, it was back to getting a vehicle that met the identities of being a local. Our Seal Beach friends were not inlanders, they lived next to their own city pier on the beachside of PCH.

The whole incident grated on our minds. My brother wanted to sell his Impala and get a VW van like most of his friends. (He had long distance surf trips in mind with a place to stay, built in place.) I wanted a woody wagon or some other wagon that was different than the 58 Impala. But, for me, with limited resources, it was take what you can get and be satisfied. The cool black Impala was going to be mine only, when my brother joined the surfer-constructed VW van crowd.

That move by my brother fit right into the “surfer” scene and was immediately accepted by the locals. We heard comments like: “thank you for not bringing that Impala”, “now, your van is a real surf transportation,” etc. (it actually had some great qualities for extended road trips)

Jnaki

But, for me, on the days I went with some other friends to the beach, I only had the Impala or my friend’s family station wagon. So, I searched near and far for my own surf transportation that would meet my needs for this portion of the teenage lifestyle. In my searches, I found many station wagons, woodies, a few Nomads,and yes, VW Vans. Nothing appealed to my tastes and pocket book.
    upload_2019-6-19_3-8-55.png
    Finally, after seeing this fabulous 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery with a big 348 motor and the sound that comes from it, that was the final choice. My own surf vehicle and hot rod all rolled into one. Something hit me in the head, as my pocket book was asking me where I was going to get the money to buy it on the spot.

Eventually, the cost was lowered to very simple terms and fit my bank account with a little left over. The owner took out the 348 and installed a Flathead motor and the cost was so much lower, that I could actually buy it. A whopping 200 HP less, but it started, was very reliable, and got me over 1000s of miles of coastal surf cruising and daily driving to high school. Repairs? Not many at all, but it was constantly doing little things, as most hot rod teenagers do when they get a first car.
    upload_2019-6-19_3-9-31.png
    The best thing was, there was no one to criticize what I drove because, there weren’t any other cars of the same kind. Sure, we wanted mag wheels and more power, but satisfaction is just as important. The rest of the sedan delivery was very nice, without fitment problems, dents or such. So, it had its own admirers.

Now, it was not the best, but, mine…for sure.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    63fdsnr, 62rebel, Surfmerc and 4 others like this.
  7. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

This really resonates with me and it's something I try to encourage other new builders to heed now. When I dove into this, my build ended up turning into MY GRAND VISION which took me way off book and I am still getting it figured out and it is still in pieces. What kills me about this is that I lost my best friend, before he even hit 40, between when I started this thing and now, so we never got to go on a hellride shakedown in my hot rod.

So, of course I started another build (my 29 pickup) because surely I can keep it simple and get on the road quickly (LOL). That one isn't on the road either but at least it has only been hanging around about a year, not seven, and is pretty much figured out as far as engineering goes. I wish I'd built a simple beater first and kept the MAGNUM OPUS in the shop to chip away at.

But when I do eventually finish it I will totally bring it to shows since it's a kinda wild build, I've never participated before, and it's something I want to share with the community (at least for a while, that and the good parking). I also want to drive it, take pictures of it, and RACE IT. I want to do it all.

woodsnwater likes this.
  8. koolbeans

koolbeans

Call them rascals "key board cowboys", complete delirium not knowing what planet they are from....no

48fordnut likes this.
  9. When I first got into old cars a good friend of my Dad told me "You will find lots of car people willing to give you advise....most of it wrong". Since then I am very careful who I follow and ask advice from. Unfortunately, the hobby has lost several since I started... glad there are some younger people coming in behind them and learning fast.

Crocodile likes this.
  10. koolbeans

koolbeans

Your Dad's friend was right and still right. Opinionated pontificators exist in all walks of life. Did Hershey for many years. You never picked up a part and told the vendor what you were looking for because the part was always exactly what you were looking for even though it actually was for a bangladeshian push mower circa 1882.
    As I have puttered and muttered through my last build, the '32 five window, I've asked some pretty simple questions/directions and gotten for the most part gooden answers. But some were bangladeshian.
    Haven fun though, not a Riddler but a solid driver...

11. koolbeans

koolbeans

Moving along...frame painted, wiring laid in, dash gages wired, (lighted with green background), tank in, lots of "other" stuff... IMG_20190715_130806565~2.jpeg IMG_20190715_130817515~2.jpeg IMG_20190715_081553643_BURST000_COVER.jpeg IMG_20190713_120712432~2.jpeg IMG_20190713_120804562.jpeg IMG_20190711_091017284~2.jpeg IMG_20190711_090942106.jpeg IMG_20190707_122013142~2.jpeg

63fdsnr and BradinNC like this.
  12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Opinionated pontificators speaking Bangladeshian.

LOL!!!

I believe we've run into some of the same people.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

alanp561 likes this.
  13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. Koolbeans....Love your car! way more than I can build.... then again, I am driving mine (couldn't resist). I think we are alike in that the fun is in the build. people are at different abilities, but being able to build something and drive it, is universal. Got lots of building on the next one

Attached Files:

koolbeans likes this.
  15. Oh man a 57 chevy is on my bucket list............

chevy57dude and Crocodile like this.
  16. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

This is what I say about all my “ Junk “ , I didn’t have the money to pay to have someone pay to build anything , so I did it myself . Good or Bad , pleased or laughing , I did it and I have fun that’s all that matters to me . It’s real fun , good or bad .

62rebel, woodsnwater and koolbeans like this.
  17. Crocodile

Crocodile

I really enjoy my Forty, and it is a long ways from perfect. It was painted in 1973 (one year after I was born) for the princely sum of $85, which I have the receipt for. It is all stock, except for the Torq thrusts and radials.
    I live on a mile of gravel, and usually don't dust my car before a local show. It is what it is, a survivor and a driver. It will never win an award, but it does draw a crowd, and I have had many older folks tell me how much they appreciate the car being honest, and not all modified. They would probably dislike my other cars/projects. But they make me happy. If I don't let my wife or kids' opinion change what I do, what do I care what a stranger thinks?

18. koolbeans

koolbeans

I agree. ("couldn't resist"...that's ok) It's fun to build. My path on this now and last build was to take a year and be riding. Old parts (body, interior, dash preservation), new parts ( hot rod frame, suspension, brakes etc), cross over (Ardun conversion, quick change), 76 year old needs soft stuff (air, heat, auto..no power windows, no power brakes). A year plan was very doable. But, under estimated timing of bad health intervention though. (bronchial infection slow to kick).
    So I'll miss my target by about 4 months. But not the typical 2-4 year + build.
    Anxious for sure for the ride...

19. I have been negligent in posting.... not that a lot has happened. Pulled the bumpers and got a reproduction luggage rack spreader bar. Motor is getting closer so I have been mocking up the speed parts on an extra block. Worked on linkage today. Hope to get the built motor this month.
    car feb.jpg driveway.jpg IMG_2785.jpg
    IMG_2786.jpg

20. koolbeans

koolbeans

Jim, that motor is just kool as can be. That's a WOW!!!! Anxious to see it scooting down the road.

Stock Racer and loudbang like this.
  21. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

looks like a fun project, something to be proud of for sure.

loudbang likes this.
  22. I am thinking of using 1930-40 chevy grey on the motor. A) it was a color available in the 40's. b) I think it is close to the color of the car (going to buy a can of paint and check it out). c) my play on having a chevy motor in it...LOL

23. Cutlas Fan

Cutlas Fan

Nice project! Everything you do yourself is better than paying someone else to do it!!

silverdome and loudbang like this.
  24. working on the wiring harness to get the electronics all set before new motor. Man I hate stock ford headlight connections...or more accurately I hate a mixture of bad reproduction and original headlight connections... wires.jpg

Colonial Coupe and loudbang like this.
  25. Jeff34

Jeff34

Great lookin project! Where did you get your harness?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  26. koolbeans

koolbeans

Yup. Knows what you mean. I've used the British bullet connectors with great success along with a smidge of dialectric grease. Especially where you might want to undo the connection. It does take a special set of pliers that squeeze the bullet end into a hex.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Latest jargon for that is a Survivor. Or put a Roadkill sticker on it and people will love it.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Bought a starter for the car.......
    starter.jpg

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Anymore I go to shows to see and talk to my friends. Sure I love my cars, working on them and looking at and admiring other peoples cars too, but it's really the people that make it fun for me.

loudbang likes this.