Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Scammers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Dave, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I have been posting a few items in the H.A.M.B. Classifieds and have been receiving pm's from possible fake new members with "0", posts. So of course I ignore them and then place them on ignore so that I won't receive any further pm's from them.

They always ask if I still have the item and want me to respond to a phishing email address.

I do try to pull them up using the member search and come up with nothing.

Is anyone else getting these clowns?

We have to be carful and always be vigilant.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  2. I got a few when I had wanted ads up a few years back, went back to look at the responses and the members were gone. Must have tried their scam on others. I've bought some big items on here, but took the time to vet the sellers. I look for reasons NOT to buy something, if it doesn't pass the sniff test, I move on.

3. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Scammers everywhere you turn nowadays.....

ems customer service likes this.
  4. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

But on the other hand..? We were all FNG`s with zero posts at one time.

kiwijeff and Texas Webb like this.

5. 29moonshine

29moonshine

yea' I am looking for a chevy truck and had someone contact me that had joined that day wanted me to text or email him. he had one for sale

6. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

The biggest strokers I've found on here are the one who post ads in the wanted section. I have answered several ads and all you get is jerked around. So anymore I'm not going to waste my time contacting them for a part they need.

big duece likes this.
  7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The difference is that these scammers will never stick around and they will never have any further activity.
    Their only reason for being here is to steal your money.
    So your statement means nothing.

clem and 49ratfink like this.
  8. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

So Blue One, How do you sort out the scammers from the honest people on here?? You seem to have a lot of answers on here.

9. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Shhhh…………...safe room is out of cocoa again.:)

spikemd11 and raven like this.
  10. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

And I shall make a concerted effort to type more slowly, Just for you.

11. Any reply's to a classified in my conversations regardless if they have zero activity or a thousand post, if I have to replay a e-mail forget it, that way your only dealing with legitimate people, I did sell a car to a guy with zero post and he joined just to get in touch with me.

But my case is rare, there are a lot of scammers out there and they watch the hamb like a hawk. HRP

kiwijeff, Flathead Dave and Blue One like this.
  12. You also have to use common sense when your classified ad is in the wanted section, there has been many hambers that sent money for that part they desperately need and usually at a bargain price only to realize they have been taken to the cleaners.

My rule of thumb is I don't buy anything from someone that just uses the hamb as a sales tool and =doesn't participate on the main board nor do I send Wallmart money grams or money orders, the people that don't have a pay pal account and won't give you a address, just a PO box, no sale or buy! HRP

Hombre, clem, Cosmo50 and 3 others like this.
  13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Simple really, just look at what they are asking you to do, or look at the language skills (or lack of them) in their messages.
    Asking for money to be sent to some WalMart or by Western Union among other crazy things people fall for.
    Read HRPs posts and there are other threads here on the Hamb about avoiding scammers.

Typing slowly won't help you I'm afraid :D

trollst, clem and 49ratfink like this.
  14. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i saw a item in the classifieds that i want and it was cheap, but the seller has no post other then sales adds and a round 500 of them. still want it but leery of going for it.

15. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I recently posted a wanted ad both here on the HAMB and over on the Barn and have had several sincere responses from members who either had what I needed or something similar. One member even offered to check out a junk yard he frequented to see if there was something there. I haven't received any BS scam replies so I guess I'm lucky. In the past I've bought and sold parts here and on the Barn with no issues. The only complaint I have is when I respond to a wanted ad and never get any response. Not thanks but I've found one or even you're asking price is stupid high, nothing.

big duece likes this.
  16. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Yep, they're out there........right Old.mike999?

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HRP pretty well nailed it in post 12. A lot of people in the classifieds are just members to be able to sell in the classifieds and never post on the board. There are a lot of members who are members so they can buy from the classifieds but have no interest in checking or posting on the board unless they end up with a question they can't find an answer to otherwise.
    I gave up on posting parts requests from the strange responses I got. One being from a guy a thousand miles away who claimed to have the part but wouldn't ship it. Another being a "Me and my brother got one in the shed" thing with no photo or info..
    If you are responding to someone's parts request send a photo with a current paper's front page in the photo. Let the buyer know you actually have the part.
    On the other hand if you right now have a part or car for sale in the classifieds google that part or car with a search that matches your header in your add reasonably close. Chances are your add pops up in the top few items that come up in the search. That is how some non Hamber is going to find your add most likely.

18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

If the sales ad has a picture, you can do a google search for that pic and see if it pops up elsewhere and how it was used. Lots of scammers steal pics then post new ads on Craigslist and other places for that car at a lower price. I have found ads in a lot of different areas for the same car with the same pics, but different prices and contact persons. If it seems too cheap and too good to be real, it’s probably a scam......

pitman and Squablow like this.
  19. I would report the members anyhow to make sure they don’t scam someone else.

Also for the others that are just sellers and flippers. They should contribute to the regular forum anyhow. Otherwise they are suspect also.

Hombre and Flathead Dave like this.
  20. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

21. pitman

pitman

Ahh, the generous Nigerian Prince,
    "Drives it to church, on Sundays."

22. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Not talking about fucking new guy's. We are talking about scammers who post on the HAMB to pretend to want to buy an item and then disappear while leaving a phishing email address.

23. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

HRP...Exactly! Responding to a phishing email can ruin anyone's day.
    Always check the membership log. If they are using a phishing email they wont be listed as a member as they'll bounce out.
    We need to be on top of the game on our end.

24. 5window

5window

Yawn. This same discussion appears all the time. Ought to be a sticky.

25. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

YAWN...It's different type of scammer this time. Take the time to read it.

26. They always have an angle and it is always just a refined angle from another scam.
    I like the ones who try and give me cred by mentioning their good friends from the member's list. I am always having dinner with whomever it is even if I have no clue who they are. LOL

bobss396 likes this.
  27. The same scammers use the same wording for other things. I currently have a boat for sale and get questions like "has it ever been in a major accident?" Who the hell asks that about a boat! Some will say; "Craigslist email doesn't seem to work for me. Contact my personal email: conmanguy @scammers.duh "?
    Unfortunately, all they need is a few people a month to fall for this crap, and they don't have to work. Thanks to the HAMB, I am able to recognize this stuff immediately and send it straight to spam...

wraymen likes this.
  28. .^ Exactly, if conversing with some one through the Hamb, Craigslist remailer service, etc. and you get asked to reply to another email address....run. All they want is to get as much info as they can about you.
    The ad for a unbelievably low priced car with a "reply to this Email" works the same way.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  29. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming