Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with AC Needed

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by splasher, Jun 14, 2019.

1. splasher

splasher

My 1964 Falcon 260 came with the AC compressor in the back seat, so I'm hoping to patch up the system and get it working with r134a. I can bolt on the compressor easily enough and the clutch clicks when hooked to a battery, the condenser is already mounted, along with a black tank that I believe is a drier, and the under dash unit at least has functional fans, as it was in the car when I bought it. But, while I can hook up the hoses where they seem to go, I don't know what I need to do to run r134a, and if its even practical. I don't have the money for vintage air kits or expensive parts, so I'm just hoping I can make something work. The pictures show everything I have. Can anyone provide some insight?

Attached Files:

2. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Boneyard51 likes this.
  3. splasher

splasher

So as long as I had high and low pressure ports it should work? And none of the existing fitting have o rings, do I need to change them? Thanks for the help.

4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

You will need a retro fit kit, R12 to 134A, available at most any parts store.... may not be on the shelf now, but can be ordered. Probably less than twenty bucks. Install, then you need to pull a vacuum on the system, leave the vacuum on as long as possible. Make sure it pulls a good vacuum and will hold a vacuum. I like to leave it on overnight. Add some oil and 134a , till your pressures look right and it cools .... and hope it works.

Bones

5. splasher

splasher

I'll give it a shot, thank you.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Since yours is all apart, you may want to replace the o rings in the connections, other than that the simple conversation kit with two new filling ports will work. Start with one can of oil and three cans of 134A for an empty system like yours then adjust from there.

Bones

7. Replace all the o rings with ac quality o rings.
    Run pag oil

As has been said pull at least 28” vacuum for as long as you can and hold it for at least 30 minutes.

This will help get rid of moisture and help the system work better.

Charge it up with 135 and have at her.

8. splasher

splasher

3 12 oz cans? How do I know when the system is full?

9. I would replace that receiver drier. I’m sure the desiccant inside is no longer any good.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

A few things to consider as well?
    12900_ac_service_fittings_12.jpg AC LINES2.jpg
    AC clutch.jpg AC LINES3.jpg

upload_2019-6-19_19-41-43.png
    Solenoid for throttle to increase engine RPM idle when AC compressor clutch engages
    AC idle solenoid to increase RPM.JPG

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  11. splasher

splasher

I will, I dont want to have to take it all apart once its charged.

12. splasher

splasher

13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

They are available generic aftermarket, you may need to fabricate a bracket and work out how to adjust and wire though.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. splasher

splasher

I should be able to figure it out, thanks.