Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yep, that is a painful truth of which I am too familiar. With all the things that have happened to me in this life, I have to admit that I don't have a clue how I am the survivor.
    Bob

Old wolf likes this.
  2. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Half the power went out in the garage. Checked breakers, nothing is tripped. Checked incoming line voltage, have 120v on one leg, nothing on the other. Box in the house feeding the garage has glass fuses, fuses appear good. Call my licensed electrician buddy to ask his opinion. He says he has time to come over and while he's at it, he'll bring his horse trailer that needs some welding done on it. When he showed up, I fired up the gas machine and started on the trailer while he starts checking my electrical problem. Five minutes later, all the power is back on in the garage. Even though the glass fuses looked good, I didn't think to check them with a continuity tester and one was bad. Five minutes after that, his horse trailer was repaired. We had coffee and talked about wishing we had listened more to our Dads. My Dad, another licensed electrician, tried to teach me about electricity and my buddy's Dad tried to teach him how to weld. Of course, had we both listened to our Dads, we probably would never have become friends. Maybe it's better this way.

RICH B and osage orange like this.
  3. Been out with my wrecker shifting vehicles around. Im trying to get them organized. the stuff I want to sell or haul for scrap in one section. Our not for sale don't look don't touch stuff in another section that has a 6 ft chain link fence around it. I got hot & came In for a cold glass of tea.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  4. Im not that far behind you. I will be 68 in October. First thing every day after a Austin Powers type of morning urination.(don't need adult diapers yet!) I read the online obituarys. quite often there is someone I know or went to school with. Lots of them younger than me. So we need to consider every day that we are still topside valuable. That's way I don't do any work for others. I am finished with selling part of my life for dollars.

lumpy 63, j-jock and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  5. lumpy 63 and anthony myrick like this.
  6. This one turned out to be a former Air Force truck
    Got to decide keep or sell

7. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I can totally relate, I am the same age and have survived several close calls, so many times that I have been saying that I'm living on borrowed time for about the last 15 years! I know that made me reassess what is important in my life and come to grips with it and made my peace so that I am no longer afraid of dying when the time comes.

j-jock likes this.
  8. Learning to use my own time for myself, was a difficult lesson for me to learn. The other difficult lesson to learn, was to stop being so self reliant, and to hire people to help speed up projects. The big problem is, that I have hired people in the past, and had jobs done by licensed carpenters and electricians, where I have had to go back and actually redo the work. That has totally destroyed my trust. I still have two circuits in my house that were inadvertently combined during a renovation, and finally had to disable them and rewire to solve the problem.
    I appreciate every day, and have never stopped appreciating how lucky I am to still be alive and (somewhat) mobile.
    Bob

9. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Been messing with distributors for my 37. The NOS mallory YC 310 Hp I had in it somehow lost it's pole piece and I'm not willing to pay stupid money for a new cap. Napa seems to be out of stock on the MA5 caps...So I've been messing with some of my old chevy points dizzy's .My pal Bob gave me an old Allen syncrograph distributor machine but the strobe is NFG ... So looks like I've started a new projecto_O BTW went to my friend Seans shop as he has an old Sun machine , and his Strobe was NFG also!And yes I can curve a distributor on the engine with a timing light , but been wanting a distributor machine ...:p

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  10. Ive been still trying to get stuff better organized. mounting and dismounting tires. Putting wheels on vehicle s and shifting them around with the wrecker & tractor. and taking breaks and getting online when I start getting hot. I just moved a square cab. and apparently the C clip that holds the axle is gone. the axle came part way out rear tire now setting outside the bed.

11. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

After five years fighting the jag front we got it dialed in and rebuilt the brakes so it stops,
    Brought it to work for final tuning, then it's back to the owner,, my wife.
    Chick's Ute.JPG

12. Working on my new garage site. My leg is saturated with ointment, and I just did two hours of cleaning the underbrush, mostly blackberry canes, with a long pole brush cutter. After a short rest, I am going out with the chain saw to drop and limb the trees that need to be taken down. The small stuff, I will cut up and give away for firewood, and I will mill the large saw logs into dimensional wood that I will need for the interior.
    The pulled hamstring hurts like hell, but I am being really careful to walk slowly and deliberately so as not to cause pain. I'll bet if someone was watching me, and didn't know I was injured, they would think I am one of those monsters from those cheap 50s horror movies.
    Tonight, my plan is to drill and seal another Quadrajet from one of my vehicles. I am getting pretty good at it.
    Bob

David Gersic and Old wolf like this.
  13. Mill the large saw logs. Ive got a few sawmills in my hoard. Ive got a Bellsaw M14. Sears used to sell them. they called them the one man sawmill. Mine is fixed to be powered by a tractor PTO. A M Farmall does a pretty good job. Sawmilling is hard work. We bought 4 acres adjoining our other place last November. I have been cleaning it up with a chainsaw. mostly cutting firewood. And I have a TD14A dozer setting within a few hundred feet. However a bulldozer makes a big mess and disturbs the topsoil. There is so little good soil there I don't want to disturb it and have erosion wash it away. I cut the stumps low when the sign is in the feet. then put a few shovels of organic dirt on them. The will usually rot to bug dust in a few years. Ive learned to slow down and not over do it. I take plenty of breaks.

j-jock likes this.
  14. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

E67A7F54-0445-41A9-BAC2-948776EFC8F9.jpeg Hit a deer with my 46’ on my way to work.

Lil32 and Jalopy Joker like this.
  15. I cleaned up that 2x4 setup, got everything moving free in the carbs, mostly just varnish from old gas, now it looks respectable.

20190617_190448.jpg 20190617_190448.jpg 20190617_195233.jpg

I had turned my buddy onto this 32 Chevy sedan delivery, he promptly worked out a deal for $1600 bucks, title and everything !

FB_IMG_1560921334909.jpg FB_IMG_1560921351858.jpg FB_IMG_1560921367484.jpg

Lil32, camcrusher, Hamtown Al and 9 others like this.
  16. Sorry to see that. We have a lot of deer here, and unfortunately, it is a common occurrence because of the combination of narrow road, speeding, and deer are notoriously infamous for not understanding how to cross a road.
    I hope you can pull it out without major issues.
    Bob

17. I have two mills, an Alaskan mill that is used with one ore two Husky 2100s, but I don't like how much wood I lose because of the width of the cut. My other mill, is a Norwood bandsaw, that 20 years ago, paid for itself in the first month. I milled all the maple for the floors in the house, and tons of other wood over the years.
    Bob

Old wolf likes this.
  18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

fastcar1953 likes this.
  19. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

sorta got it going. no brakes yet and no cooling yet. will be next month for cruising. wont make the 4th of july parade. i do a/c work and work is getting busy for me. when i get it finished i will do a build thread to show what all i did. went over my budget. will have around $3500 and should still make my 3 month build time.

low budget likes this.
  20. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Finished the push bumper for Hot Rod Hollys 56 PU .She is gonna be pushing the Stellings and Hampshire car at the Lyons museum show on Sat. While her truck was at the house she told me its been leaking a little oil lately...I took a look and the shop she had change the oil recently pulled the oldest dumb ass mistake in the book ....Double gasket on the oil filter:mad:

bchctybob likes this.
  21. If I had the room for "just one more" I would've bought it, if my son wasn't in love with the t-bucket that would've went to make a space for that delivery

j-jock likes this.
  22. With my physical issues I have to think things through pretty good, this idea worked so well I impressed myself...lol
    There's no way I can physically lift the blower off, the fenderwell headers and tilt front end keeps you at arms length, even if you had 2 people how would you get it to one side of the truck.
    Engine leveler, blower straps, chain fall on a trolley really made for easy work.

20190619_150705.jpg 20190619_151511.jpg 20190619_151658.jpg 20190619_154225.jpg 20190619_153039.jpg

23. bchctybob

bchctybob

Finished narrowing the Olds rear end for my roadster, added the 4 bar brackets today. The axles should be here by Friday so it's time to get it in place under the car and start installing the quarter elliptic springs and brackets. Also my brand new white Covico steering wheel was delivered today, it's niiice..... IMG_1992.JPG IMG_1993.JPG

24. topher5150

topher5150

Bought the CE shock kit off Ebay, and that showed up today. Now I'm emailing the hot rod shop that sold them to me because the shocks are junk

osage orange likes this.
  25. My 16 year old helped me pull an engine. Yesterday he finished up a water pump on the tractor
    Fun times

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  26. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finished all the GMC motor mounts on my sons 40 Chevrolet Coupe (Bonneville record holder in the 70-80's). Now it will be all in rubber instead of solid. 55-57 Chev mid mounts from Danchuk and the tranny was store bought. Fronts are my design. Now I'll cut the pan to miss the steering while wait for Ross to complete the lower compression pistons. Seems like everything had was over 12+to 1... The works go on.

LAROKE likes this.
  27. Got a lot closer to getting my first '31 Dodge business coupe dug out of the pile of CRAP in order to FINALLY continue work on it.... Picture 28450.jpg Picture 28454.jpg Picture 28478.jpg

28. 31Dodger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.