Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What about pipe nipples in brake system?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Ive had no problems when I use Edelman brass.One evening I was very close to being done on a project,and needed one piece of brass to be finished.I ran down to the local big box hardware,and got the brass fitting,and installed it.Bleed the system,and it was weeping brake fluid through the brass fitting.Turns out the fitting wasn't machined out of a solid piece of brass.It was compressed cindered brass dust.I don't know what this fitting was intended for,but it wasn't pressure.Got a real piece the next day at a parts store,and it worked fine.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Thumb prints created during an intense eruption bestowed upon subject.

3. Reservoirs

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Must be drought season. :D

5. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"AFAIK, no one makes hex nipples in anything other than the standard short length."

Swagelok (Cajun) makes them up to 3 or 4 inches long in stainless, probably brass as well.

I don't think you can order from them directly, but there's lots on the big auxion site.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  6. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like so many other things these days, it seems the problems with pipe threads are with the execution, not the design.
    I've had brake and fuel system parts that leaked upon assembly, after chasing the poorly machined internal threads with a pipe tap they sealed.
    Buying name brand fittings from a plumbing or hydraulic supply house improves your chances of getting quality parts. I don't use the "handyman" level imported stuff found at big box stores, and Princess Auto.
    And I use mechanical brake light switches operated by the pedal. Why do we continue to use hydraulic switches?

7. Ohhh those switches suck alright.
    Budgets.

8. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My fave brake light switch. American made, all metal, operated by pedal. 50s chev truck brake light switch.jpg

burl and RICH B like this.
  9. who sells it?

10. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

@Mr48chev
    If you're still in need of a fitting like this try here.
    I just bought one to put a pressure switch in line.
    https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/63072/10002/-1