Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Driving at night - update 3/27/2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 11, 2019.

1. GM Mirror, Ck, Chevys' of the 40's they sell them

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Well I hope you find something that will comfort the curse. Nothing bloody worse.
    I planted the lights on the coupe real low, only because it looked good, but shit, try driving into on coming headlights, and all you can do is cringe hoping they don't realise your on full beam.
    Mentioned prior, dash lights in general. The little directional indicator lights on the dash, I've got a couple of pieces of tape I slap over them just for night driving.

3. spanners

spanners

Just do what most other drivers do and drive with your eyes closed.

4. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

5. patterg2003

patterg2003

I hate the super white white headlights in the new GM trucks and some transports. The GM full size truck lights all seem to be at eye level unless I am in my truck. I think there needs to be a study on the whiteness of the new headlights. It is almost on the welding spectrum of white IMHO and it hurts. I was taught in my driver education classes to look towards the right shoulder instead of straight ahead if someone does not lower their lights. That helps somewhat but it takes a bit to recover after the intense white lights pass. I used to adjust my mirrors so that I had to change position to check the mirror so I did not get a directed glare. Now I have the auto mirror but I still adjust my door mirrors slightly.

6. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

I used a 2003 VW golf mirror.non reflective black rear view mirror.quality item.cheap and plentiful what more could you want .e5

7. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

hee kadoit

8. chrisp

chrisp

I have a cool early 50's Panhard Dyna Junior rear view mirror that the glass flips over, it's actually a 2 sided mirror with one side being dark for night driving.

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  9. Deuces

Deuces

Great for fog lamps also.... And they look cool... :cool:

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. @HOTRODPRIMER Danny, After suffering from being blinded by other drivers at night I think I've finally found a CHEAP solution. I spent less than a hour today with some bronze tinted acrylic, a couple of Earl's line clamps, a scrap of mahogany that was left over from boating days and two screws, and came up with a glare shield that easily slips over the top of the mirror in the roadster. The pitures show it better than I can explain it, but it works pretty good. Night Mirror-2.jpg Night Mirror-3.jpg
    Night Mirror-4.jpg
    Night Mirror.jpg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Stogy, v8flat44, 47ragtop and 3 others like this.
  11. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

There are some stock early 30s Ford mirrors.that clamp the glass on the top and bottom. Maybe a late model mirror that dims by tilting the glass could be disassembled to remove the glass. If you started with glass bigger than what you need it could be cut down to the proper size and clamped into the early bracket.
    You would just have to tilt the mirror to get it to act like a late model mirror and still have a rear view.

12. Sourwood

Sourwood
    from Atlanta Ga

I've got a set of really bright back up lights on the back of my F100, they are bright enough that most of the butt heads will back off when I flip the switch.......................not much

13. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's going to stick with me for awhile.

14. Deuces

Deuces

I love that flag!!!!!.....:)>>>>> 230716 (1).jpg

Gman0046 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. GTS225

GTS225

************************************************************************************

I feel compelled to ask; Just how do you know what that looks like?

Roger

Deuces likes this.
  16. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

The new lights are bright, but not as bright as original 32 headlights with halogen bulbs. My low beams are so bright I get flashed and or they leave there high beams on every night I drive the pickup. They shut them down really quick when I hit the high beams.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces likes this.
  17. 6sally6

6sally6

You are NOT alone my friend.
    Those idiots with their super brights and the front of their truck jacked up a foot absolutely blind the crap outta me(and everybody else) They are far too stupid to realize it though!
    6sally6

chryslerfan55, Deuces and dana barlow like this.
  18. 6sally6

6sally6

Suggestion (but I never tried it)...........You know those million candle power portable lights that deer hunters use to "shine-up" deer? The ones that plug into a cigarette lighter plug?...You know the ones I'm talking about???
    Wonder if it would get some of those brain-dead idiots attention if......................?;)
    6sally6

19. Deuces

Deuces

:D

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. Blue One and Deuces like this.
  21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I had a semi truck once that had one of those teardrop spotlights on the A pillar. One night I had a car behind me that wouldn’t dim their lights, were right in my mirrors. I reached up, turned it to shine toward the car, and turned it on. Took all of 5 seconds for him to hit his blue lights! We had a serious discussion on the side of the road, could have cost me $150 but got off with a warning.....

22. Bringing back a old thread instead of starting a new one, to recap I did eventually find something for the wagon but still needed something for my old beater, while in the garage and digging through the roll around tool chest I found a old clip on dark visor that that has been there for years, I took it out in the drive way and tried it on the mirror on my old beater, I had to modify the clip to tighten the lens to attach to the original Deuce mirror.

It's larger than the the original mirror and I can live with that, the only problem is with all the years it has been laying in the bottom of the junk drawer there is a wide scratch right through the middle of the lens.

100_2841.JPG

100_2838.JPG

The lens is plastic so I figure most of the scratch will polish out, my question, what material do you guys suggest for something small & simple? HRP

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  23. LAROKE

LAROKE

White toothpaste? Something you might already have on hand.

24. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Be my luck the thing would blow off and Konk me one, oh wait, I drive a coupe

25. I have a couple of used mirrors saved in my eBay watch list, the trick is to get them to attach to my mount. Day/night ones go for around $15-30 used.

26. Your mirrors should be adjusted to where you need to move your head a little bit to use them. Gee gaws and gimcracks are for low rider bombs. It's form follows function in hot rods.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  27. v8flat44

v8flat44

Primer, wait till yer over 70....i don't go at night unless i just gotta hear that flathhead rumble.
    Put my shades on n go......still crazy after all thesse years....hmmm, sounds like a song.

28. Phil, you know how the lights reflect off the front and rear glass & the bright blue laser beams on all the new cars is so bright in the car Brenda can read a book, I've been driving cars with flat glass since I was 16 years old, the lights are just too bright for me.

I'll be 70 in a few weeks and I had cataract surgery last year, you think the lights are bright, they seem twice as bright now that I can see without glasses. HRP

29. rusty valley

rusty valley

those new lights really are terrible. sealed beams came out in 1940, used until about, what -1990, and later on some makes, so in effect we were all equal. not so any more

30. Yeah, Danny, you can't do much about the flat glass. When I bought my roadster the PO had tinted glass in the windshield. That had to go, right away.