Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What would you pay for this 1941 dodge luxury liner?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chstitans42, Jun 12, 2019.

?
  1. $0-$2000

11 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. $2000-$4000

26 vote(s)
    39.4%
  3. $4000-$6000

25 vote(s)
    37.9%
  4. $6000+

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. chstitans42

chstitans42

Car has a clear title but hasn't run in four years. These are the only pics that I have from the listing. He is asking $6,000 as is. What do you guys think? There is like ZERO price guides that I can find for pre war cars.
    I have always wanted a Chevy business coupe 1940-1941 or so. I love the two seats, and the huge back end. All the models that I have seen in the past were over priced or huge projects. This seemed to be a good go between but the non running part at $6000 has me wondering. Also I dont think dodges are as cool or desirable as the same year Chevy.
    Screenshot (98).png Screenshot (99).png Screenshot (100).png Screenshot (101).png Screenshot (102).png Screenshot (103).png Screenshot (99).png Screenshot (100).png Screenshot (101).png Screenshot (102).png Screenshot (104).png Screenshot (105).png

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Looks 'solid'.....no visible rust or damage.....but not a high demand model. Still, has a lot of potential.

Deuces and 49ratfink like this.
  3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Old Cars Report Price Guide is published 6 times a year and has pre-war. I am in hospital right now but I will look up values when I get home tomorrow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

$2500 to $3K max as it needs a lot of work and is not a highly sought after car.
    Not running is a big negative as you don't know what's wrong with it. Running might make it worth $5K.
    As you know, they always need more work than you may think.
    Here's one like it.

Deuces, chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

$5400 for a #4 condition car in the Old Cars price guide from two years ago.

$3300 for a #5

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

You got to love it at any price, not a flipper IHO.

VANDENPLAS and Hnstray like this.
  7. gene-koning

gene-koning

I would want to see the floors inside the doors, they tend to rust away there first.
    Then I want to be sure the paperwork is all correct.
    Getting it running could be easy, or very hard. Does it turn over?
    The asking price is on the high end for the condition it is in (solid but not running), but probably not horribly out of line if it looks as good in real life. At that price, the underside better look as good as the top side.

I would guess that it would have to be something you love, buy in at the asking price would be a pretty expensive starting point if your vision is a street rod, or resto mod as they like to call them now, or a hot hot rod. If your vision is a period correct mild hot rod, it would be a great starting point.

If it has proper paper work, is as solid as it looks, and still not running, I might go as high as $2500 - $3000 as it sits. The running motor would not add value to me, but I am cheap ass. Gene

Cosmo49, 48fordnut and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. verde742

verde742

IF you buy it , you BETTER like it....

9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Depends what are you gonna do with the car. It doesn't run, who cares. Are you gonna swap another motor into it any way. No interior. But that will be upgraded as well. Looks like no rust issues. The chrome looks really nice. A very solid car. That is a fair number but it can be bought for a LITTLE less. Depends on how long it has been for sale. Find another one for a cheaper price that is in that good of condition, is gonna take some time. If that's what you really want. I`d jump on it pretty fast.

chopped, chryslerfan55 and alanp561 like this.
  10. chstitans42

chstitans42

Ive added this to the top as well. I have always wanted a Chevy business coupe 1940-1941 or so. I love the two seats, and the huge back end. All the models that I have seen in the past were over priced or huge projects. This seemed to be a good go between but the non running part at $6000 has me wondering. Also I dont think dodges are as cool or desirable as the same year Chevy.

Cosmo49 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Stooge

Stooge

I wonder if by "has not run in years" means that it just hasn't been started and needs a weekend of attention to wake it up, or there was a catastrophic failure somewhere and it needs a new engine, trans, etc. Im not much of a mopar person, but I like the looks of it, seems to be pretty solid as far as we can see, and judging from the nice tires, inside sheet metal, it doesn't seem like it was neglected too much. Could be a good candidate for throwing a seat in, get it running or swap in some mopar engine, (slant 6 could be cool) go bop around in it, though I would have a hard time not replacing the 78yr old wiring. Keeping it simple and not doing a full interior, big power build, etc., if I could out driving for $6k'ish, I would probably be happy enough with it.

I would say keep looking until you find something you really want. working on a car you don't care about makes for a lot of work

alanp561 likes this.
  12. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you looking at it as an investment or something you're going to drive? Do you want it to remain a stocker or is it going to get a different drive train and suspension? Stick a small block Mopar in there and bring it down a little closer to the ground with a little rake and you've got a coupe that runs and looks good. It's " cool " factor lies in the fact that not everybody has one. Go back and read what @stanlow69 said in post #9.

stanlow69 likes this.
  13. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I have both a 46 chevy coupe with a hopped up 235 engine and a 50 Plymouth Deluxe that has the same 218 flathead this Dodge has. Just finished redoing the engine and brakes on the Plymouth & it runs great. Many parts can be found at either www.kanter.com or at www.robertsmotorparts.com . Both have online and paper catalogs. Jimmie

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I watched a 40,000 mile original sell at auction for $11K plus the juice, it could have used paint but that would be a crime, the chrome was acceptable to above average, had similar bumper guards. I bid on it to $9K myself. This was in '08.

That car is in pretty good shape from what I see. Are the seat frames and cushions included? Getting it running will be just a bit harder than a Model A but you want to make sure it's not stuck or has a cracked block. Are they kool? Holy-kiss-my-go to hell, YES. I have NOS pistons in many oversizes for the motor. How much? Anything under $5K is a good deal, anything closer to $4K is even better. If I wanted it for reals I'd offer him $4,600, but only if it's all there. Luxury Liners aren't easy to find, and that biz coupe is a top shelf item.

brad2v likes this.
  15. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

That's a kool ass car! Being a three window makes it in my opinion. 6K doesn't seem to bad, I guess you can anyways dicker with the owner.
    I'm with the others if you are not really into the car because you want a Chevy I wouldn't buy it.

Cosmo49 and Deuces like this.
  16. chstitans42

chstitans42

Guy that has it makes it sound like $6k is such a steal

17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

If it were that great of a buy he would have already sold it. Reality is that while it's a cool car, the 41 Dodge has a face only a Mother could love. It's a 2 bagger, and not a high demand car and very tough to move. Not running is a huge factor in price, even if you plan to update the drivetrain. And if you do, don't share that with the seller because you'll lose all of your bargaining weight. He'll just say, what do you care if it runs, you're pulling the drivetrain anyway.

You need to answer the questions posed. re. you going to update it or restore to stock. What would be your build plans?

If you're updating the drivetrain, consider you're spending $6k on a solid, titled roller. For that money, go nab a 40/41 Chevy Coupe builder as that's what you really want.
    Unless you can get it for $3k or so, then drop a Hemi in it.

It's tough to build up a car if your heart isn't 110% into it. Also consider, it'll be very tough to sell off the Dodge down the road/recoup your investment, unlike the same build on a Chevy Coupe. You may have it for sale for years. How long has he had it for sale?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  18. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Sure, it sounds like a steal, he's selling it!
    Looks solid, but you wont be flipping it, theres not much demand or desire

19. Great car if it's what you really want..or, are you settling for it because of what you really want is out of reach?
    Neat car, but not highly in demand.
    Personally I would offer $4K, and be anticipating it to be refused, at that point I would leave my name and number, and tell him the cash offer stands if it doesn't sell for his price (I wouldn't be surprised if you get a call in a couple of weeks).

Hnstray likes this.
  20. . Everyone is correct that these are not AS popular as a similar Chevy or Ford, but that just means you get a cheaper buy in. They are getting more popular as prices on everything else seem to be going through the roof! Their damn good cars, ride nice (with a few simple mods) , and are a lot of fun. I'm not gonna tell you to buy it if it's not what you want, but maybe consider it as a stepping stone / trade material for that Chevy you want!

Sent from my SM-G955F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

alanp561 likes this.
  21. chstitans42

chstitans42

This is the main issue that I have. If I put the same money and time into a similar Chevy, Will it really sell that much faster?

22. The paint is a big step backwards, inmyop.

23. I think it’s a cool car
    Looks solid
    The engine is fairly cheap to get going if it does not need a complete rebuild
    It’s kind of an ugly duckling
    But I like it a lot cool car

6 is fair but high
    4500-5000 I think is a decent price
    Lower if you can

It’s not a flip car, but I’m sure if you decided to sell and not in a rush could do ok.

24. Flim Flam Man

Flim Flam Man
    from Oklahoma

Car looks solid, price sounds fair.

Just try and find another that is close to you......not easy.

25. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

If this car was running what would you value it at? To me if the motor ran and the drivetrain was good enough to move the car under its own power I would say 5K would be good. It would be worth it to me, and I have done this before, get the car running before I would give the seller any money. I would say to the seller, "if I can get the car running and moving under it own power it would be worth 5K to me and shake on that." Sometimes it is better to invest some of your own time and a small amount of money than to go into a deal blindsided and take a chance with 5 to 6K of your own money.

JNKYARDDOG_1, VANDENPLAS and Hnstray like this.
  26. williebill

williebill

Dark color, taildragger, mild chop, skirts, custom front end...… Killer

Atwater Mike likes this.
  27. Slopok

Slopok

It's always a Dodge!;)

Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  28. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Keep looking for a 40-41 Chevy coupe if that is what you really want.

29. exterminator

exterminator

As others have said get a chevy if that is what you really want. 40s and 50s mopars - only if you have a thing for them. I know personally!

30. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

That would make a great street rod build. Not a highly desirable car but would be cool when done. Stuff an early Hemi in it and have some fun. The 40-41 Plymouth makes a great builder this Dodge should be no different. If I had garage space I would be all over it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.