Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Problem with my ignition key

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 12, 2019.

1. We were going out for dinner this afternoon and Brenda wanted to drive her Ranch Wagon, I opened the garage door and was waiting for her to back out and she just sat there.

I ask,"What's the matter?" she said,"the key won't go in, it's like it's the wrong key".

I tried it and I had the same result, there is no doubt it's the right key but it won't go in the slot, this is a new one on me, I used a little light oil but that didn't help, I'm at a loss.

Any thoughts that don't include removing the dash, it's darn near impossible to remove the ignition switch with all the wire & AC components in the way. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  2. Fordors

Fordors

68DE34C7-B36A-4817-9A3D-ED4FBDB4996A.jpeg Don’t know that it will fix your issue but I prefer powdered graphite rather than oil for lock cylinders. It comes in a plastic tube with a nozzle on the end, give a blast directly into the cylinder and keep trying the key. Hopefully it works for you.

HOTRODPRIMER, 3W JOHN and tb33anda3rd like this.
  3. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Pictures would help. I immediately thought I bet something is in there like a piece of paper or insect.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Hnstray, HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  4. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I'm thinking I would spray WD-40 in there then air blow gun.

HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.

5. I can take a photo but the windows have been up and we drove the car last week, the car is under lock and key and no one has been in there messing with the car. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

is it one of these?

54 ford dash.jpg

7. I'll get some of that tomorrow and give it a try. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  8. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

The graphite works well for lock cyl maintenance. Can you see anything in there using a flashlight? Guess I’d try that and maybe poking around with an eyeglasses screwdriver or something that won’t break off.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. 3W JOHN likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

with this type lock cylinder?

Ford-Ignition-Lock-cylinder-NEW-with-keys-1952.jpg

11. Fordors

Fordors

You might consider giving it a quick shot of carb cleaner as I think an oil and graphite mix might gum up the tumblers.

Muttley, egads, 3W JOHN and 1 other person like this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

some close ups of what you're dealing with

lock3.jpg lock2.jpg lock.jpg

13. squirrel

squirrel

since you already tried a drop of oil, it's probably not something that lubrication will fix. I'd start by getting in a comforable position to look inside the keyhole, with light and magnification, and see what's in there.

14. The light rub of machine oil on the key won't be a issue, it would go in the slot.HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  15. Thanks Jim, I'll go try your suggestion. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  16. Fordors

Fordors

Agreed, I thought you put oil into the cylinder.
    At home we use one door more than any other. We had a similar situation where the key would not go into the cylinder and the graphite lubed the tumblers and it operated like a new one again.

17. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

One of the pin springs may have broken and let the pin fall and block the slit.

18. squirrel

squirrel

The springs push the pins down on those.

Sent from my Trimline

19. It appears as though something has broken, I can't get a small screwdriver to slide in the slot so I removed it and it was easier than I had anticipated, I had to do it left handed but it's loose, My pal Dave has a couple of extra ignition switches and I will drive up to his place tonight and see what he has.

I'll let you know how it works out, thanks for the ideas. HRP

008.JPG

009.JPG
    003.JPG
    003.JPG

3W JOHN likes this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

The last one of those I played with was in the Edsel, three years ago...I ended up making a key to fit the original lock cylinder (after destroying it taking it out and apart), then rekeyed a new cylinder to match the key. The new key fit the doors too, which is why I went to all that trouble.

lock4.jpg

Hnstray, Stogy, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  21. Odds are you don't need to replace the total switch, just the tumbler part. Normally you turn the key to Acc and depress the keeper pin to pull out the tumbler. In your case being you can't turn it just use a pair of needle nose and pull up and out on the pin itself. The tumbler will come right out then.

22. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

My last ignition switch bad that I had to deal with was on my Harley , it now has 2 wires and and a wire nut . Seems to work pretty good ! Those old Ford tumbles seem to wear and the pins fall a touch and all is in a jam after that . I have remove all the tumblers and any key works from then one , no one was ever smart enough to determine if their key worked .

Stogy, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. Like some said, spring or pin is in the chamber blocking the key. I would find a good used one or nos and re key.....I don't like repo stuff.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  24. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I don't know, Danny. Maybe a brand change is in the future. :D Mmm mmm mm. Those Ford's are sure pesky little fellers.

25. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

The trunk lock on my convertible gave me grief this spring, a sprayed some PB Blaster in the key hole, and it works like a charm now

26. 29moonshine

29moonshine

get some Houdini lock lube it is the best for freeing up stuck tumblers and anything that takes a key

27. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

This is the lube I use and it works on lots of other stuff as a good light lube that is houdini1.jpg houdini.jpg long lasting.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  28. My pal Dave & I have rewired a bunch of cars at his shop and I knew he had a couple of ignition switches left over when the cars had a ignition switch on the column so I called him last night and he located one, I drove to Sandy Springs and picked it up.

I fought with it a while and finally got it to fit minus the chrome bezel and the face plate with start & acc emblazoned on the front, but I can go back and remove the switch and figure out how to make it work.

Brenda had already registered her wagon for the downtown Fathers Day show so my main objective was to get the car running, I stuck the key in the switch, turned the key and the car roared back to life.

Thanks for the help guys, The original switch I removed does seem to have a broken tumbler. HRP

29. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Are you going to be able to go the show in the wagon now?

Chief 64 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  30. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

The local locksmith who has been in business for many many years sells and uses Houdini spray. It is the best for locks.
    They say WD-40 is a great cleaner but actually washes lubricant out.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and i.rant like this.