Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Photoshoot Road Trip: The FnA Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Photoshoot Road Trip: The FnA Roadster

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

We stayed at the same hotel as these guys during the roundup. Got to see it all I wanted in the parking lot each night. We followed it around on the garage crawl......sounds incredible. Great shots!

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Awe man. Thanks.

Everything featured was shot with modern stuff. I used a Sony A7r III body with the following lenses:

- Batis 85 for the portraits
    - Batis 18 for the wides
    - Sony 35 1.4 for the details

On my roadtrip, I did take a couple of shots with a Leica M7 and a Hasselblad X-Pan of each car, but I haven't developed anything yet. I'm so far behind in the darkroom that it will prolly take me months to get to them.

I've got this romantic dream of taking one of these road trips without a phone or a computer and shooting nothing but film for weeks on end. It would just be so damned risky cuz I don't have the talent to rely on... or the budget to shoot 10 rolls per car to make up for it.

jnaki likes this.
  4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I have a man crush on Jason actually. No shit. I talked to him last year prior to his Oklahoma trip and he kind of inspired this idea. It took me nearly a year to find the time, but I'm gonna do it again soon with my son in tow now that he's out of school for summer.

What I really want to do is travel for a couple of weeks, stay only at state/national parks and shoot cars only at state/national parks. I would love to do it using only film, but realistically I'm not anywhere near the photographer that Jason is and I need to spray and pray with digital. That said, if I ever get to do this I will shoot a shitload of film as well... 35mm only though. I don't have any larger format stuff or know how to shoot with it.

BrerHair likes this.

5. Looking forward to the photo's from the State Parks, I know you & Miller will have a great experience on your time on the road.together. HRP

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for sharing, and to the others mentioned that helped make it all happen - like many things in life it takes a while, and usually some $, to get the true feel for learning a skill - you still have many miles ahead of you to get in the grove

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Location Location Location, wow!
    Outstanding photos and writeup Ryan.
    The car ain't bad either.
    I'm pretty selective in the whole Model A deal but I could see myself in this little scooter.

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I guess it's perspective? I read a lot... and I KNOW I can't write like F. Scott or Hemingway or Steinbeck or... But yeah, relative to a guy that writes for hot rod publications, I can hold my own for sure. But there is certainly some ego there. You don't do something for 25 years and not develop a little pride for it.

Plus, my writing (when I get serious with it) has always been a love it or hate it thing. I have good pals that can't stand the way that I write. I sort of take pride in that... Hunter taught me to piss a few off to make a few smile.

As for photography, I have some really great old cameras... and some decent new stuff. I know how to use it all pretty well and know just enough about light to make it all work. But don't kid yourself... don't put me anywhere close to Steve Coonan. In my opinion, he's the best to have ever done it - film or digital - in the hot rod industry. And what about Tim Sutton? He makes a living with a camera - something I could never do... And his images are actual art. Like people buy that stuff - including me.

And there are lots more examples. Blake Burwell? Good god he's good... He's so good, my wife makes fun of my stuff after seeing his... And what about Tom Davison?

At best and realistically, amongst hot rod photographers I'm middle of the pack. And I've worked pretty hard to get there.

That's all Mike Mossi. He found this place about a block from where we ate dinner.

Me too!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    BLAKE, 63fdsnr and Malcolm like this.
  9. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Amazing Stunning Images,
    There is a time for digital - work
    And there is a time for film - art
    I am Jonesing for a Pentax 6X7
    My dream is to shoot SpeedWeek with only film, develop in motorhome every night
    But I would be limited to about 100 photos so every shot better be The One.
    Keep up the good work, and travel safe.

NoSurf likes this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fantastic.

11. 1/4 Chub

1/4 Chub

Ryan, thanks for the amazing photos and great write up! It was a pleasure meeting you, anytime you are in the DFW area, even for school shopping, hit me up. Looking forward to hanging some of these pictures on my walls.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Read this post, looked over the subject line and was in awe of what you’re doing here Ryan.
    This is perpetuating hot rod history in all aspects.
    This is some great reading and viewing. Thank y’all for all of the work that’s going on here.

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

this would be so cool... take it from someone that shit canned their cellphone 6 months ago, you will love it and want to make it permanent .....

14. brady1929

brady1929

Great photography and an amazing hot rod.

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great Story, Great Hotrods, Great Weather, Great Scenery, Great Talent, Great Shots...Just Great Eh...Thanks for sharing...

16. 31 Chop Top

31 Chop Top

Ryan, great story and photos...enjoyed shooting with you and glad that I helped Dallas workout for you...let me know when you head this way again...don’t discount yourself as a photographer

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Ryan likes this.
  17. Idlewild

Idlewild
    from Denver, CO

Built by subtraction...perfect way to describe this roadster.

As for the photography...stunning.

Ryan likes this.