Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Thieves target the Power Tour

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

The only people who can shoot someone in the back are cops and then it's usually when the person has a gun. The beauty of the Kel Tec is that some could have 6 rock salt shells in one chamber and 6 regular 00 in the other. If the person is running away, 30-60 feet will probably only feel like a bee sting and you got your point across. If he turns and presents a danger to you, that's what the 00 side is for.

2. I take the steering wheel off my car. I also disable the battery. I don't walk out of the house without one of my sig sauers.

3. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Good luck to you all; glad I live where I do.

Tomincanada, K13, Baumi and 3 others like this.
  4. I could use my wrecker and get almost any car without ever opening the door of it. and it one of the old obsolete tow sling jobs. they have new ones with hyd wheel lifts that can snatch even a parrell parked vehicle and the wrecker operator never gets out of the rig. I seen to remember that drag racer Bill Jekens had a truck full if engines & parts stolen at St Louis back in the day?

trollst, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. 1953naegle

1953naegle

These days, cars without automatic key starters practically have built in anti-theft. I remember growing up that anyone my dad asked to drive his 53' F-100 had to be educated how to use the button on the dash. Same goes for standard transmissions. Even with my 53' in my profile pic which is an automatic, people are afraid to attempt to drive it because it's old and therefore requires special skills.

It only takes one "smart" thief though....

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. kmrumedy

kmrumedy

I wonder how the cars are being taken? Meaning are they driven away or placed on a flat bed? Real easy to disable these old cars to deter drive-aways.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. Is the day coming we are going to have to buy and lug around a parking boot? HRP

[​IMG]

8. A Boner

A Boner

Sig Sauers would be easier to "lug" around!

racer-x, Deuces, nochop and 2 others like this.
  9. One of the cars had removed the steering wheel
    Sounds like a snatch and go repo style
    All were easy to grab gm 80s and early 90s pop the column rides
    The best advice probably for shows or tours is to take turns watching the cars at night

10. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I have a silent alarm to my cell phone and sleep well when I'm at a show.

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

A few years ago there were several cars stolen from hotels near the Street Machine Nationals. A vendor's enclosed trailer full of GM crate engines also disappeared from the fairgrounds after hours. Thieves are everywhere

12. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

You have to becareful these days at a car event yesterday a friend told me some parts both he and I purchased at a recent swap meet were stolen of a car we knew but didn't realise and the vender who also has a second shop ,he was buying parts of iceheads that were renting a house were several wonderful cars were stored in a locked garage ,surely the seller didn't ask enough questions or did he know

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wonder how many of these cars end up in no-title states, or easy-to-title states.

14. I don't know what to do about stopping thieves from lifting an attractive target vehicle, but those seem to be the kind of crooks with resources behind them. That is a different kind of problem than dealing with the average, drug addled scum sucking pig.
    I have travelled all my life, the best defence against most hotel room breakins, is to never put out the do not disturb sign, or the make my room up now sign, and when in the room, always double lock and have a chair wedged against the door. Windows can also be a target for a breakin, and you have to make certain they are also securely locked. I have been woken up in the middle of the night more times than I can count by someone attempting to open the door. Sometimes it was someone with a pass key.
    A good bit of insurance, is to have some wasp spray, or similar product. It shoots a good distance, is completely disabling, and it isn't a deadly weapon.
    It is always important to remember that those bottom feeders have less to lose than you have. They are counting on that.
    I have had two vehicles stolen in my life, a 34 Ford, that was never recovered, and a sports car stolen from the parking area of the business where I was at work. The latter was recovered, damaged but repairable, but the truck disappeared into the ether. I know that feeling, and wouldn't wish it on anyone.
    Bob

15. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

One of the wagons, the steering wheel was in the hotel room. Now I guess that’s all the guy has.

It was five vehicles. Two trucks, two wagons, one car.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

But you have to sleep with one eye open, I haven’t learned that yet

Deuces likes this.
  17. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Used to lose a few at Goodguys in Pleasanton out of the parking lot too

j3harleys likes this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It does appear that the thief was using a repo rig then. Truck with a real quiet exhaust that slips in and gone in a few seconds.

j3harleys likes this.
  19. I will keep a look out
    There was a rumor a couple were found in impound lots
    Shipping containers or parts is usually what happens

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  20. robracer1

robracer1

The weekend before was at the Deuce Run around the Charlotte area, I guess we lucked up the Hotel we stayed at had about twelve 32 Fords parked in the back with no security guard, I have lost 3 really nice cars to thieves, 2 with less than 5000 miles, since 1973 all my cars had 1 to 2 kill switches and always careful were I parked it them.
    My 32 has 3 anti theft devices, but some asshole with a flat bed or repossession P/U and my hot rod is gone in 60 seconds, so when I thought it was safe to go back in he water I hear about cars being stolen from Hotel/Motels during car shows makes me not want to go to any overnight stay shows.
    And yeah I know I HAVE INSURANCE, but you know I like my hot rod and yes I have a lot of money in it but more important to me I have a lot of swear equity in it.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  21. We did that with the stock cars, took shifts sleeping in the tow vehicle. If anyone would put a foot on the rig, it would be felt.

Deuces likes this.
  22. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

One of my friends called me overly cautious when he saw me disabling my ignition system when staying at a hotel one night...My response, its a lot harder to steal if it don't run...

Many moons ago I was at a friends apartment having a good night for sure. About 11pm I decided to go ahead and go home. Upon walking out I see 4 guys in my car, one at the trunk with a crowbar, they had busted in to the car, stole a few pieces of audio bs, so I confronted them..... Well at that point I had a few guns drawn on me and after exchanging derogatory comments back and forth in a loud manner, neighbors starting coming out. They put their guns down, got into a Pontiac grand am, Texas F44 YCX plate number. And left, cops showed up 15 minutes later, never caught the guys... Amazing 20 something years and still remember that place number.

Nothing in this world will stop a thieve other than a bullet to the head. This welfare society has bred more and more people looking for the "easy" way. Arrogance and Ignorance runs wild these days, glorified stealing on the tv shows... No respect.... I hate to see people on PT get that kind of welcome to a town.. A lot of 6 figure builds out there on PT so it has to entice thieves, and a lot of plastic Tupperware cars also AKA Hellcat, Z06 etc that appeal a lot to them also. Damn I hate thieves.....

williebill, Baumi, Papas32 and 5 others like this.
  23. RRanchero Rick

RRanchero Rick

Minn. State Fair police, worthless. All they ever do is harrass MSRA volunteers.

j3harleys and Deuces like this.
  24. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

BD1A16ED-F684-4D64-AE41-FEE16AEE3879.jpeg BD43B54A-C223-4CB7-A446-DCBF63F532FF.jpeg
    I’ve had 2 cars stolen
    One was for the speakers
    Second was for the wheels
    They tried too steel my 63 impala but I had hydraulics on
    And it was so low they couldn’t get the jack under it and gave up lol
    I was using the club and collar after that
    Circa 1994

25. I took everything in consideration when I chose the hotel as the headquarters, it's not the finest and is a little run down but the location which is off the beaten path and the fact that the back of the hotel can't be seen from the interstate or the side streets , there is a certain amount of seclusion where you have to meander around to get to the motel aides in out of sight, out of mind.

I appreciate your being a part of the All Deuce Run. HRP

26. seems like about 7-8 years ago, thee was a rash of classic car thefts, during the big shows. They were stealing either the cars, or just hooking up the trailers, in the hotel lot, & driving off. I was even at a "high end" auction a few years ago. The security guard at the gate said i cant leave with anything unless i have a receipt ( i was only buying boxes of N.O.S.) i set my stuff down at the gate to get a receipt. When i came back . There was another guy walking off with my stuff. I asked the security guard if that guy had a receipt for my stuff. Apparently they don't check to see whats on the receipt

clem likes this.
  27. rjgideon

rjgideon

Not to go too far off topic but with concealed carry if you're state doesn't have reciprocity, look into getting a Florida non-resident license.

Does anyone have GPS tracking on their cars? I've looked into a couple of different options like Linxup, but haven't decided on one yet.

Baumi and Hnstray like this.
  28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

^^^^ GPS. lots of towable construction equipment has GPS on it, I have seen several stories where they simply got the cops and went and retrieved the item. I live in the last century and don't understand that voodoo stuff, but it seems to work.

29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

wasn't a special built give away '66 Fairlane stolen while on HOT ROD Power tour from host hotel in Bakersfield, CA a couple of years ago?

30. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Deuces likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.