Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Thieves target the Power Tour

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I saw on the news that on one of the stops in Charlotte, North Carolina there were 4 cars stolen from 2 motels, one car, 2 wagons and a pickup, gotta be a bad feeling to walk out expecting to see your car and it's gone. HRP

ff1930, 3W JOHN, OLSKOOL57 and 3 others like this.
  2. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:( Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh.Now that just sucks.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  3. von zipper

von zipper

That happened to someone I know at the Lone Star Roundup. His 52 Chevy pickup was taken out of the “security guarded” lot never to be seen again!

etboy97 and 3W JOHN like this.
  4. j3harleys

j3harleys

Fxxxing thieves.:mad:. Sorry for the foul language. I have had 2 cars stolen.

mgtstumpy, Oilguy, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.

5. Man, once is horrible but two cars, did you ever recover ether one? HRP

oldsjoe, 3W JOHN, OLSKOOL57 and 2 others like this.
  6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That is a crying shame. Maybe best to have a beater for my shop truck.

7. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

And I thought it was bad that I have had parts stolen of a almost new, at the time, 63 Chevy Impala, parts stolen off my stock car and my Suburban broken into and my tool box full of my tools, that thankfully was recovered when it slid out of the back of the thief's pickup as they left and a neighbor went out loaded into his wheel barrow and hauled into his garage!

BigO, Latigo, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So often from the hotels, it seems. Jeez they're ballsy. Sounds like auxiliary security as needed. Like the motorcycle guys do.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. j3harleys

j3harleys

No

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hate thieves! Damn.

11. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

That is terrible! I've had vehicles stolen from my driveway on two separate occasions. My '54 Bel Air and my '52 GMC pickup. The feeling I had was gut wrenching sickness after realizing they were actually gone and it wasn't one of my twisted buddies playing tricks on me. Never saw the pickup again, the Bel Air was located about two years later by the Texas State Patrol, wrecked and upside down in a culvert. On one other occasion I was in my second floor apartment late one summer night and just happened to look out my open bedroom window to see a guy trying to break into my '62 Pontiac Le Mans. I racked the slide on my pistol and got his full attention....so that one didn't get stolen.
    That taught me to always incorporate some type of anti theft measures into all of my future builds. I hope those guys get their cars back in one piece.

12. jim snow

jim snow

This stinks. Makes ya want to not go anywhere. What’s the possible solution sleeping in it? Snowman

13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That brings up a good point that I have wondered about regarding "secured " parking lots. I remember being at a hotel during Hot August Nights in Reno. They had a secured area and across the parking lot was a building where the guards were supposed to be watching the hot rods. I was out walking and looking at the cars and never seen anybody. I remember a Mopar with a blower, no hood and the windows all the way down. I thought that guy is either a trusting soul, drunk or security has a solid reputation.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  14. southcross2631

southcross2631

When I used to travel with my drag car on an open trailer. I would back the trailer up against a light pole and disable my tow vehicle and my son and I would take turns sleeping and keeping an eye on the trailer.
    Just like guard duty in the army , 2 hour shifts.

15. Deuces

Deuces

You and me both.......

get even.jpg

16. I can't carry over State lines, but thieves rob everywhere. :mad:

17. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I had a old beater truck stolen out of my yard about 15 years ago and the thieves went around town to convenience stores and filled up with gas and took off without paying. When I noticed it missing, I had to go to the police department and they acted like I was the one stealing gas. They did find it at a apartment complex frequented my meth heads with cut off garden hoses, gas cans and other small stolen items in the bed.

18. I sold a home builder friend of mine a C-10 Chevy pickup after I had recently installed a fresh 350 / 350 and later the same week it was stolen from his drive way, the truck was missing for almost a year and one day out of the clear blue I got a notification that the truck was going up for auction by the city impound yard, it seems Jim hadn't transferred it into his name and the city had done some research and found information showing my name was on the title.

I called Jim and he and I went to the impound yard and found out that the truck was left on the side of the road missing the drive shaft.

Jim drove past this impound yard every day and when we pulled in the lot there it sat beside the gate next to a van.

It cost Jim to get it back but it was worth it because he didn't have insurance to cover the theft. HRP

lothiandon1940 and 3W JOHN like this.
  19. I'm not suppose too but I do, I would rather explain why I have a firearm than need it and not have it.

Years ago when were were attending the swap meet in Charlotte we were staying at a Motel 6 and about 1:30 AM our door opened ,than God the security chain was on place, I announced I was armed and the guy banged on the door, I flipped on the light and opened the blind and tapped the 357 against the glass, the two would be thugs saw the gun took off running.

I called the police and it took them almost a hour to get a policeman to the room, He said this was not a isolated case in this area, needless to say we never stayed there again, nor did we sleep another wink that night. HRP

20. I hear you!

21. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

22. Ive always carried. even when I drove truck. never ever has no stinking permit. However thieves are everyplace and a lot of them are very good at what they do. Honest folks don't think like thieves and tend to be too trusting. I think the problem will only get worse. My wife says eventually good folks will dread when the sun goes down?

23. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Several years ago a friend's daughter was driving a car that he'd given her but was still in his name. For some reason, it ended up being towed and the towing company contacted him for the towing charges. By the time the towing company contacted him, the cost was several times the value of the car. He told them to keep the car and they responded with they were going to apply a lien against his house unless he paid. I don't know if this was legal but he paid the towing. We now have forms we fill out when we sell a car and turn into the state.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You end up being the one who goes to jail if you shoot a thief who isn't a direct threat to your life though. Had it happen to a guy around here who made the mistake of shooting a guy running off with his hands full of the guys's property.
    I've known some clubs that assign parking lot guard duty to members at night. From experience hotel security people usually only about hotel property and where you park for that matter.
    4 rigs out two parking lots make you wonder if there was a repo truck involved. As a theft aid that isb. You can figure on an event like that there are individuals who plan ahead to target somewhat specific vehicles. It might be interesting to know who in the area blew up his race motor in the past few weeks and was way too broke to build another one but all the sudden shows up at the track with a killer motor in his car.

25. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

This is one reason , my OT is the old banged up Power Wagon , and my old Harley is a kicker . No one wants to steal junk . I’m not supposed to carry across the line either , but I do . My Dad always told me “ he would rather stand before 12 of his peers instead of St Peter and ask for forgiveness . “ I’m a pretty mild person in my older years , I would much rather listen and walk on than scrap anymore , but I draw the line in the sand when it comes to stealing . We are all good people and enjoy a good family oriented hobby , we have worked hard to build and pay for what we own , to have it stolen by a low life Bastard . I still say it should be legal to rid the world of thrash so they can not contaminate the rest of us .

slim38, classiccarjack, WB69 and 6 others like this.
  26. Deuces

Deuces

A towing company cannot put a lien on a house... I'd have them put that in writing and turn a copy into the cops ... One copy for a lawyer also... ;)

27. ...what good is concealed carry if you're sleeping in the motel?

WB69, LOST ANGEL, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  28. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Better to be open carry in the back window and sleep in the truck seat I suppose . I have done it many times at a younger age .

3W JOHN, Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. Sadly we live in a different world today. HRP

30. 6sally6

6sally6

IF you had "busted-a-cap-in-his-ass" the cops woulda been to your room in no time, prolly.
    (With you........"UPPA GINST THE WALL DIRTBAG....SPREAD'EM")
    Don't-get-me-started!!
    6sally6

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.