Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What about pipe nipples in brake system?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Nipples

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Rich S.

Rich S.

I can’t tell from the pictures. Front discs and rear drums?
    Is the MC mounted above the calibers?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Your right, you can’t tell from the pics on purpose.

The front bleeders wind up being at just about the same as the fluid level in the topped off master.
    Rear drums

chryslerfan55, Rich S. and RICH B like this.
  4. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's nothing wrong with nipples in a brake system, as long as they're steel, OTHERWISE... Well, you know...

5. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I think thru the frame brake fittings are the same as a 1/8th inch pipe nipple...I don't see any issue with pipe...If you are worried use schedule 80 pipe....

6. why would they have to be steel? isn't the accepted brass adapter fitting, half a nipple? I wouldn't have thought twice about using a nipple.

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

A typical brass pipe nipples (which most will purchase) are thin walled and seem welded.

8. Yea,,,
    It probably won't be a Home hardware store purchase.
    Nipples is going to happen on the next one.

I said in the first post,
    that I've never seen NPT nipples installed in a brake system. There's notions and thoughts out there that NPT has no place at all in any braking system, and as one poster stated NPT is not allowed in his area.

That accepted adapter fitting,,, the linear distance that actually holds line pressure by itself is really small/short. I suppose some could argue that there's a massive amount of wall thickness doing it too. Thinking twice about using a nipple, maybe it's self doubt and my thinking maybe don't have error on the side of caution and well maybe there's a good reason I've not ever seen them used. Maybe brake system designers know way more than I do, maybe I think too much, maybe I have a damn good idea. My dad drilled into me to always think twice.
    I do know for sure that hotrods are tight on space and had I used nipples it would have made things easier and cleaner and fit a little better yesterday. Even though When it's all said and done and in spite of adapting in and out of inverted flairs its still WAY better than the shit work we straightened out.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@31Vicky with a hemi , The nipple featured in your post #29 would seem to be more than adequate for the task in question. If not, why nor?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  10. Rich S.

Rich S.

You would think post #31 nipple would be ok, because it is short and probably seamless. But I can’t find any info where SAE would accept a nipple. It makes sense when you think about it. Depending on the length of the nipple, you have a lever (the pipe) probably threaded into a rigid fixture and the threads are a weak point. All you need is a little deflection and it snaps. A brake line can be deflected a lot without failure. My 2 cents.

11. Rich S.

Rich S.

I have the Mastercool flare tool also. Sometimes I have to go to one of these for short ones. Difficult to get a good grip on stainless . IMG_2444.JPG

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

No one, so far, has mentioned stainless brake tubing.....only the stainless nipples. I do not see what the flaring tool has to do with that.

This thread is getting weirder by the post. What was #31 (stainless nipple pictured) is now #29.....:confused:

13. Rich S.

Rich S.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The reason people use all the fittings putting a Ford pressure brake switch inline under a rod is that no one makes a fitting with two female flair fittings and one npt fitting for the job. I ran into it way back years ago when I put my truck back together. I was working in a parts house then and had access to parts books for brass fittings and the fitting doesn't exist. Cobbled up looking, sure enough but you can't get there from here otherwise. I've worked on a lot of hydraulic systems that had way more pressure than a brake system that have npt fittings in a lot of spots including Cat loaders so the flare vs npt pressure thing isn't much of an
    argument.

Attached Files:

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

@31Vicky with a hemi being one that has to deal with the affects of steam to black iron pipe. Those flare nut's will be greatly welcomed one day when only wanting to r&r just one thing. So, more time during the build or more time during the repair. That is the question? Or, which of those two anxieties do you prefer? Conclusion. Don't be that Ass you so hate fixing after.

16. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Lots of thinking happening here . Total Force calculation applies to the strength of the NPT Brass fittings . The end result you are applying the same pressure to a rubber o ring or wheel cylinder cup that is a larger diameter (mass) than the area of the brass fitting . This is where the total force applied calculation comes into play. The factor of safety is much greater than one might really think is there .

17. Yes, brass fittings are ok. Some are supplied with rpvs and factory brake tees are brass. Also npt is used in hydraulic and water industries in 3500-4000 psi. I think it’s just the products they screw into that fail, like the Wilwood rpv.....machining process is off or something. There is truth to more fittings more chances for leaks, I always try to minimize the total number of fittings when possible.......also for a cleaner look. I like to use the SSBC rpvs as they have a inverted flare made into the valve on one side and try to use a master with the values in it (or at least the rear if disc front).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  18. I think he's actually referring to minimum length line you can make,
    The master cool dies are bigger than the split bar so the minimum line length is a little bit shorter using the split bar. And this job did get stainless lines.

19. The struggle is real, believe it.

chryslerfan55 and Johnny Gee like this.
  20. If the manufacturer is using NTP to save money ,,, then making the ISO bubble female socket would be cheaper yet and save them even more money.

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

"Thank you Clarice" :D

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  22. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

I'd use brass nipples rather than stainless since most aftermarket brake system components with female pipe threads are machined from aluminum. Threads on/in both stainless and aluminum are bad to gall while brass threads are among the least likely to gall. If you've never had a pair of threads gall on assembly, the only solution about 99% of the time is to throw away both parts and start over.

Contrary to what a lot of people may think, the 360 brass hex stock that these hex nipples are typically manufactured from has roughly the same yield strength as mild steel or annealed 304 stainless.

If you needed something longer than the standard hex nipples, then you're going to be into nipples made from brass pipe which is typically alloy 230. For those, you'd want to use Sch 80 nipples to assure adequate pressure rating. IIRC, the working pressure rating for Sch 80 1/8 brass pipe is around 4000 psi. These nipples are available in half inch length increments up to 6" long, and cost $6 to $10 each, depending on length. The down side to these nipples is no hex, so they're difficult to tighten without chewing up the surface. AFAIK, no one makes hex nipples in anything other than the standard short length.

IMO, minimizing the number of joints and potential leak points like you're proposing is far more valuable in the overall construction quality and safety than worrying about whether every component is "DOT approved". If the DOT was really concerned about ultimate brake system safety, they'd have outlawed the use of steel brake tubing in new cars 20 or more years ago given all the pre-treatments and other super corrosive glop all the states pile on the roads now at the first mention of a snowflake.

23. Put it together with "What Works" bleed it , Drive it, it works.

24. alchemy

alchemy

ECI makes a nice brass residual pressure valve that has NPT on the inlet side and an inverted flare on the outlet. So, one less joint to leak.

Rich S. likes this.
  25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

all this talk of nipples... some day I want to meet a woman who has nipples on her butt cheeks.

26. Yup. In a panic stop high pressure is common. That is why copper tube is illegal in the states.

When I was still at the Newspaper we had Teflon lined hydraulic line that was good for 3000 PSI that we used on the Presses. I never tried it and have no idea if it is even legal but I always wondered if it would not be easier to build brake lines from hydraulic lines. If you had the proper tooling it would be way easier then bending and flaring steel line.

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Nipples, butt cheeks, inverted flares, subscribed!

28. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

LMAO, there's a visual. Details as to why kissing that area with such an incentive I'll leave alone.

30. Dimples of Vesuvius is probably as close as your going to find without some weirdo having her nipples cut off and relocated
    0FA0976B-9A77-49EB-B117-813341179197.jpeg FAD7F583-07E4-40B0-B510-A85AA10609EE.jpeg

49ratfink and Hnstray like this.