Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Do you have security on your garage/shop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't know for certain that the law other places is corrupt like it is here. I simply was attempting to get others to think about what a worst case result could be. And rest assured they will present at your trial what you posted on social media when they prosecute you.

49ratfink likes this.
  2. Gman0046

Gman0046

X2 on the sound of a 12 gauge racking. Not the last sound you ever want to hear.

3. after decades of open exhaust on tractors and bulldozers, open hedders and shooting guns without any hearing protection . I could not hear a 12 guage racking. My children bought me the sign that in my avatar. It might scare some people? You would need to be in the middle of my hoard to be able to see it.

4. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

When I was younger, my friends and I carried guns everywhere we went. One day it dawned on me that we were actually running around hoping to run into stuations where we could use them. I quit dragging that .38 special around after that, and thankfully, after one of us killed his cousin in a stupid ass argument, most of my friends did too.

Atwater Mike, Special Ed and Deuces like this.
  5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

In away,I have a lot of great stuff,but those few who see it,tell me,the path winding around the piles is dangerous. A buddy helped me do some cleaning about 20 years back. As we were moving a lot of stuff over some,we found a gremlin skeleton under it ! He must of been sneaking around,an a landslide of parts got him. As he was trying too better hide too many nuts an washers I'd dropped an vanished.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Deuces and Nostrebor like this.
  6. rudestude

rudestude

That worked for me also, I have my stuff in four different storage tents , one has my current Studebaker build going on . It gets to be a pain in the A to bring parts and tools in the house after each time I work on it ...but that's the way it is. A few years back I come home it was late ,pulled in and noticed a light reflecting off the bottom of the maple leaves, acting like all was normal I went in the house grabbed the shot gun went out back door and quietly went to the edge of the ravine, down in the bottom is a old land fill with lots of old bottles and such, the shuffling around quit and the light went out , I pump a shell in and that's all it took someone took off running I couldn't see them but I could see the light just bouncing along ,knowing were the trail went I ran across the yard and got to the other end and here they came light just a bouncing I yelled out and the noise stopped light went out , I stood there didn't here anything for seemed like a hour,finally just yelled F;"": you dropped the gun to my hip and fired, next morning went out and walked the trail no blood but for days after wards ,and I didn't say anything to anyone, all I heard from different people was hey I heard that you don't want to get caught around your place at night or you will get shot...I think someone must of got the idea and spread the word.

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dirty old man and Deuces like this.
  7. Going around armed requires prudence and responsibility. I carry a weapon for the same reason I have a spare tire. just in case. It something I hope to never need. also Should we return home and someone has broken in and is in our home. They are now well armed with our weapons. and if We didn't have any weapons with us we would be pretty much helpless.

8. chrisp

chrisp

I have a neighbor with 5 geese : nobody can go on the property...

Atwater Mike, Deuces and Rich S. like this.
  9. We also have geese. they will alert you to anything out of the ordinary. When they have babies they will bite and flog anything that comes near those goslings. Being attacked by a gaggle of Geese is a experience you remember. I read someplace where a pot grower had a vicious hog to protect his crop.

Deuces likes this.
  10. Ziggster

Ziggster

We live out in the country, so crime is less of a problem, but there are still break-ins around us. Fortunately, we have two large dogs and our neighbours are retired. Yes, we have weapons too, but hope I'll never have to use them. I'll never forget a time when a wayward Jehovah Witness family came up our long uphill driveway in their mini-van only to see me outside swinging a chain saw with my two dogs on the loose. He was so shocked he backed up down the driveway.

Deuces likes this.
  11. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

The answer to the OP's question...…...Security system, YES. Mean dog, YES. Weapons, YES (let's just say an arsenal). Attitude, YES. Scared to use any or all means to protect what is mine/ours, NO!

Deuces likes this.
  12. mountainman2

mountainman2

When I took the mandated course to get my CCW permit, our instructor was a retired shooting instructor for LAPD. He had lots of stories to tell but the one statement that stuck with me was "The second you pull the trigger on another human, no matter if justified or not, your life will change forever. You WILL end up in court (civil or criminal) and at the very LEAST, the financial cost will be life changing." Protecting your life or another person's life is worth it.
    However, that "property" that you were protecting could end up being the most expensive thing you ever own.

13. When I had my Speed Shop, I had a attemp brake in & the alarm
    went to the Police station in which they Called me & I spent all nite in
    my Shop because I knew they would Come Back with Wire cutters
    for the Safety screen so they could get the Mini bike I had on the
    Counter.
    What I was told is if someone breaks into your Business Make sure if you Shoot
    and Kill them that they have a weapon on them!

I have a Force Field around my Vehicle, plus a Double Barrel Shot Gun
    Side by Side & another weapon.

Just my 3.5 cents

Deuces likes this.
  14. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

There might be something on my shop. Might not.
    Give it a whirl and find out ;)

KoolKat-57 and Deuces like this.
  15. Deuces

Deuces

:(

16. Your instructor gave good information. No matter what the circumstance. The relatives of that no good will find a sleaze bag lawyer and file a civil suit against you. Then you will have to hire a lawyer. Then that pair of lawyers who are indeed friends will conspire to bleed you dry. A example is what you often see happen to a cop after they make a shooting that is ruled justified by the courts. If they can sue a cop shooting in the line of duty they can sue you. Now I believe in Karma. Someone broke into our other place during a deep snowstorm. beat the hinges off the locked gate. Went and stole 10 sheets of new plywood. a honda 250 scrambler motorcycle . a cB 360 Honda and a brand new kitchen sink. I was gone in the peterbuilt. But they left tracks in the snow. 4 wheeler pulling a trailer. The trailer had two different tires on it one radial one bias. I took pictures and knew who it was. no point in calling the law because they wouldn't do anything. I didn't have enough proof. then the no good would likely come back and shoot some cows or burn my building. So I decided I would let him know that I knew. I gathered some motorcycle parts that he had moved to get the others. and dumped them in his driveway in the middle of the night. I kept watching nothing happened to him. Then the power company wanted to cut some large very valuable trees that where close to the power lines. I stated yes. So they felled the trees. I was going to get those big logs and sell them. But after two days someone stole the best ones. So I cut part of the stumps and tops and went looking. found my logs. and the same thief was the culprit. I called the law. and the deputy agreed I proved my case. Nothing happened . The deputy came by and told me that guy is connected the prosecuter will not press charges. So I would drive by. if he was outside I would give him the finger and yell thief. I told everyone he was a thief. One day I drove by and gestured and yelled at him. And he fell down. Had a heart attack and died. 57 years old. He will not steal anymore. another time when scrap was high. I was at out other place sorting scrap. Had the gate open. a guy supposed to be a friend came by and we talked. A few days later my scrap was gone. So I went looking. fund my scrap at Shannon salvage. The owner asked is that yours. I stated no its yours you bought it fair & square. Me and you aint got any problem. And sure enough it was the friend who stole my scrap. I seen hin and his wife cutting firewood. So I went and confronted him. He tried to lie. I just told him you aint getting away with it. you will get what you deserve and deserve what you get. It must have bothered him because in two weeks he died 52 years old lean and active. Once in open court I told a judge that he would eventually get what he deserved and deserve what he got. He is now disbarred , divorced and a suspect in a homicide. I could tell some other examples but you get the drift. My grandmother always stated you give them enough rope and they will hang themselves.

17. Deuces

Deuces

18. And I suppose they’re taking their union nap? Right?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  19. Deuces

Deuces

Correct!.... ;)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. I've read most of the replies on this subject. I posted my arsenal earlier. So now I want to say that I was robed a couple of years back. That was the first time in my 48 years of married life. I can tell you there is no worse feeling than to know someone was in your home. They were quick and disarmed my old security system with no trouble. They got all my wife's jewelry and some cash. I guess we were lucky that they did not trash the place except for the door they broke in. Our dog was with us at the time and I am happy that he was. He was an old boy and would not hurt anyone. RIP Scout! So here is my stance on the subject. Anyone enters my home to rob or do us harm is fair game. I will shoot to kill and I will not have any remorse. I would have done society an big favor. I worked most of my life for what I have. No one gave me anything for free. So some lowlife that hasn't any ambition thinks this is a good way to get things, will face me with a gun and ready to shoot to kill. I do not want some liberal lawyer getting scum back on the streets, or taxpayers supporting his life in a prison. That's it! Have a nice day.

21. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

The problem with cute signs like you have is that if it ever gets to trial, the prosecutor could claim intent. A beware of dog sign would probably have more impact.
    Another dumb sign is advertising that you have a gun. Someone could just wait and watch you leave and break into your house to steal the guns. Guns are more valuable and easier to sell on the black market

chryslerfan55 and Old wolf like this.
  22. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

The 8 ft. walls and guards at the gate probably help. :)

chryslerfan55 and Old wolf like this.
  23. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

CCW instructors like to blow smoke up your ass because they know if you shoot someone, they could possibly be sued for giving you your training. They error on the side of caution. It is your responsibility to know the laws in your State or the States you carry your gun in. There's a big difference between shooting someone on your property, in your shop or house than shooting someone over a parking space. If someone is trying to force in your shop door and you yell at him and he turns and runs, you shoot him while he's running away, you will be charged. If you confront him in your shop and he picks up a hammer or a knife or anything that could possible be considered a deadly weapon, you will probably be OK.

24. That's why they make backhoes!

25. You do have valid points. My argument is the sign is meant to be a deterrent. A suppose a poor excuse is better than none at all. One other thing Im not trigger happy. I would only use deadly force to prevent loss of life not to protect stuff from thieves. And If I ever God forbid was forced kill anyone the law enforcement wouldn't never find out about it from me. I was thinking about making a beware of billy goat sign. The only sure fire way to make certain a thief doesn't steal from you is to not have anything worth stealing. There are very few completely good people and very few completely bad people. The best we can reasonably hope for in the majority to be decient. One day three people stopped. nice enough folks. a middle aged guy his wife and a nother male. Wanted to look at a 66 truck. As we went past the other trucks to view the subject vehicle we passed by a 65 truck. the wife lagged behind. When we returned I noticed the chrome gas cap has been removed from the 65. It was just there before. That woman stole a gas cap. must of put it in her purse.Should I have shot her? Should I have searched her?Since that time ive removed the gas caps. used duct tape to secure a part of a soda can to the filler necks. Those folks returned a week later with cash wanting to buy.. I never let them in the gate. told them thieves wherent welcome. The guy stated what! I stated ask your wife. turned around and walked away.

26. I happen to have a JD 210 industrial backhoe in my hoard.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  27. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I never talk about the security on my home or garage with anyone, whether I have it or don't!
    We have received calls asking if we are interested in a security system, I just hang up!
    I have no idea who is on the other end of that call.
    KK

28. Probably be Ok? really that's not how things work in the real world. Even if the authorities clear you completely. Before that's determined you weapons will be confiscated. your house and shop searched. you property festooned with crime scene tape You will be read your rights handcuffed & detained fingerprinted and possibly jailed without being charged for a short time. If that's what you call OK? I don't agree. Then the relatives can and probably will file a civil suit against you. They will have a parade of character witnesses stating he was a good boy Didn't do Nuthin! Nothing wrong with error on the side of caution. Yes Ive posted plenty on this subject. Im not trying to tell folks what they ought to do. the only one who has the right to decide what you ought to do is you. So you are free to think and do whatever you want and wish. your the one who will have to live with the results. think about the long term results of your actions.

29. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

You sound like an expert so please relate a few actual stories where people were charged for shooting someone who broke into their house or they confronted them inside their shop. I'm not talking about shooting threw the door at someone on the outside knocking on the door either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.