Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Do you have security on your garage/shop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had my shop in a rough area for a time and you would get all sorts of weird asshats wander in especially if I was working in there at night and had lights on. Had one crackhead come in asking if I knew where there were any good $10 tires all the while doing a 360 scoping out as much of my stuff as he could before I threw his ass out! I eventually started working in the shop with the doors closed. It had steel case exterior door and garage doors with no handles on the outside. Used to padlock the garage doors from the inside and deadbolt the entry door. Not saying someone couldn't get in if they really wanted to, but it would take some work and time, neither of which a thief wants to do.

2. Rich S.

Rich S.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I live in my shop. I am armed and dangerous and have nothing to lose. come on over and steal my stuff, should be an exciting time for the both of us.

when not there I have a steel door that opens out with a metal bar across the door and a big lock. of course a cordless grinder and a few choice crowbars will allow you to get in, but my other "security" is very few people know what I have in there.

4. My fathers security represents the law firm of Smith and Wesson.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. I fully intend to reduce my hoard sell this corner and move back to our other place. And ive been working on it. I have a fence on the property line. Ive been planting Osage Orange , Hawthorn & false orange from the premeter fence inward 6 feet. I intend to have a thorny hedge. and let the cedar trees grow there also. It will give us Privacy. be a deterrent for human varmits and a haven for wildlife. Inside the hedge I am erecting a 6 ft chain link fence. We have 14 acres there and it will take some time to complete. I want to fix it so nobody can see anything from the road.

6. Sporty45

Sporty45

Yup

[​IMG]

Plus maybe something else, too!

7. ADT security system (with signs), Beretta M92 (with 2 magazines ready) & 12 GA shot gun loaded (6 +1) with turkey shot and a two shot 9mm pocket gun........and proof of expert marksmanship. Plus.....everyone knows the folks in this area are CCW carrying......and prepared for use.......no robberies here in the 16 years I've been here.

Deuces, williebill and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got one attack trained 11 year old Golden Retriever. If someone comes in they are likely to trip on him as he sleeps right in front of the door. He's a little hard of hearing and does not see as well as he once did but he is fearsome looking and that ought to be enough. Well, fearsome for an old grey faced dog. Be aware!

9. Nope, when the Sheriff arrives, there’s only going to be one story to be told.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. I've been thinking of this one for a while, after having "snoopers" around the place- Because I goof around with electronics and gases- Motion sensor connected to a pre-recorded message saying something like "your entry has been detected- you have 5 seconds to leave the premises before toxic gas is used", timer goes off, opening a solenoid on a cylinder of CO2- nice visible gas fog comes out, hopefully meth-head has been watching a lot of TV, and believes that any visible gas is toxic, and high-tails it out. I have a manual back-up plan in case he runs and impales himself on some junk- a shotgun , a shovel, and a nice peaceful spot behind the shed.

11. I have retired neighbors, dogs, guineas, and am at the end of my road so really don’t get any traffic unless someone is lost.

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

I sold my .44 Cal.S/W and 5 shot 9mm some time ago. We all know locks are for honest people. My son-in-law is helping me get a new 12ga. Military Style Short Tactical Shot Gun with Slugs for Maximum Damage. Well, that’s for me. Dead bolts,Surveillance camera,Door alarms,Outside lights for garage. As mentioned earlier a sign “Never Mind The Dog Beware Of Owner”.

Deuces, HOTRODPRIMER and Sporty45 like this.
  13. Gman0046

Gman0046

Security system prices have dropped significantly and are sold every where locally and the Internet. I recently added various security measures to my house and garage area that includes, entry sensors, motion sensors, glass break sensors, surveillance cameras and siren. A big dog is a great deterrent and we have one of those. Should someone try to break in while we're home, its not going to work out too well for them as I won't be calling 911.
    Its getting dangerous out there especially at night and its not just in "bad"areas. Don't know about y'all, I don't go anywhere at night without carrying.
    Remember when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    Deuces, texasred and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. I have several normal security devices but when I am away from home I have a super secret device call a # 8 black bear trap strategically placed if by chance I have a uninvited visitor in my absence. HRP

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    tommyd and Deuces like this.
  15. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

This really opens up a sore subject . I have use for a person that steals . It should be legal to rid the world of low life’s , that take advantage of working people . I have about 3 cords of wood split stacked near the road , beside my driveway . My driveway is about 400 ‘ long . Some rotten Bastard pulled in and helped himself to a truck load of wood . If they approached me and said they were cold or their kids were cold I would have delivered a load of wood to them . Anyway my garage is guarded by a pit bull . She is ugly , big , but not mean . She barks at strangers , if you stomp your feet at her she would run and hide . The garage is about 60’ from my bed room . Let’s just say first 2 rounds are loaded with red beans , next 2 are number 2 shot , next 2 are 00 Buck Shot last 2 are dimes . I don’t want to say I would shoot at or harm anyone for stealing , but harm my pet or my family and it’s on deep .

16. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Fair Warning But Accurate.."Why Die Over A Few Trinkets?"....

Hombre, Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. I have 4 wifi cameras I can arm 1 or all.
    They record audio and video. When armed it will notify me on my smart phone. They operate on lithenion batteries batteries good for at least a year.
    Brand name (Blink). I'm very happy with them.

18. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

My Buddy did the bear trap thing for a few months after getting his Harley stolen . It took both of us to set the damn thing . After a few weeks I explained to him if he catches someone , they will sue him for damages ,so I tripped it with a spade handle and the trap jumped 3 feet high and snapped a shovel handle like a tooth pick .

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I worked for a machinist when between jobs in Sacramento, in '70...a friend and I were outfitting and painting my building for my new shop.
    The machinist had 2 shops adjoining, main shop also housed his small office. (10' X 12')
    His shop (and office) had been broken into 5 or 6 times...rural setting, long metal buildings outside city limits...ass hats stole his T.V., a large bottle containing change (!) another time (first time, I think) got $300+ out of his desk drawer, and the 5th time, stole his old wooden desk!!!
    Jim had 2 guys working with him in his side of the shop, they had the welder over there, and lots of grinding...I finally went over to see, holy crow! They had lined the walls and ceiling with steel sheet, (.125" thick!) and made a heavy 1/4" plate door that raised with a cable and hand winch. This was on the outside of the regular door, would drop and seal the office when 'tripped'.
    I began to doubt Jim's 'grasp' on things...
    Some nights later, I got a call at home...1:30 A.M. Jim was calling from Sacramento Sheriff's office, could I come and bail him out?
    I went to the bail bondsman, paid him $350, (then!) and Jim was released.
    The charge? FALSE IMPRISONMENT! Dirty bastard thief ranted and raved when sheriff's deputies came to Jim's place, (he called them to tell them he caught a crook) When they opened the trap and grabbed the jerk, they put the Spanish fellow in the car, but cuffed Jim, for 'false arrest'!
    Jim went to court, fascist judge gave him 5 years probation...Jim was 60.
    Help the police. Bend over.

20. A sign in a Montana shop window
    "I have a gun and a backhoe and I know to use both:

21. It would be nice if we lived in the same world as my grandparents, mine never locked a door, even when they went out of town camping. HRP

Deuces likes this.
  22. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Beings all my stuff is in an open carport, not really a whole lot I can do about locking it up. But having close family neighbors helps as we all watch out for each other.
    Try coming into the house though, and you will be met by a mean Boston Terrier and a 12 ga pump shotgun and possibly a .38 spl pistol, depending on who's home at the time, and who grabs which gun [wife shoots too].

Druggies don't come around anymore after that shotgun went off over a couple of their heads. Word gets around, don't fool with that guys stuff, he'll shoot your ass!

Deuces, rudestude and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I have trouble trying to remember where I put the screwdriver I just had in my hand let alone trying to remember were I set up a bear trap.

24. Roothawg

Roothawg

Not in Oklahoma. It's a Stand Your Ground state. " I was afraid for the safety for myself and family". It's the only statement you give to the popo, then lawyer up.

25. 41fred207

41fred207

I agree!! I live in a rural setting but also had my share of low life crack heads!! Couple run ins with some local junkies, I let them know that I wasn't going to call the police, I was going to call the coroner!! I keep a light on in the garage not so they can see what to steal but so I can see what to aim at!! I am certified in tactical and home defense with a CCW and know the laws. My M4 has a 30 Rd mag in it now and my M9 is freighted with 1 in the pipe! As long as I'm the only one recounting what happened and I was "scared for my life" I'll walk... Those cheesy cameras everyone is talking about don't hold water when it comes down to it

26. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

KeTec K36 12 Ga. shotgun. rock salt in one chamber and buckshot in other. Just try and remember which chamber has the rock salt. .380 with a crimson laser and a Glock 19. Not sure why a thief would carry a old butter knife in his hand ? :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

27. maybe we don't need to be asking this.........

Old wolf likes this.
  28. I read all of these post about how folks are gonna shoot to kill! When in fact very few folks are killers. most folks do not have it in them. In my entire life ive only ran across a few killers. one was a WWII navy commando and after the war was a hells angel. Did time in the pen and killed other inmates. I can assure its not a road anyone wants to travel. If you actually kill someone even if your 100% in the right the odds are still pretty good you will end up in legal trouble. and booby traps are illegal most places and usually the owner of them falls victim to his own devices. You can purchase a high voltage electric fence charger that is used for livestock. It would deter most tresspassers. and a small yappy dog is as effective a deterrent as a big dangerous one. Those motion lights are cheep and work really good. fake cameras are also good. Now this is just my opinion. Police , lawyers and judges like it when they have plenty of criminals to catch and fine. That's their revenue stream. Plenty of petty crime justifies their parasite existence to the general public. My home town is very corrupt. The divorced wife of a reciently disbarred judge was found murdered this week. The chief of police his wife was caught by the FBI dealing drugs from the municipal judges office. The prosecuter was caught after he mailed a enemy he was fueding with a poison copper head snake. Then showed up in court high on cocane. Now im telling you if you for whatever reason do kill some no good that dead person is likely connected to corrupt officials. and if you own anything they will go after you with vengeance. The authorities will not be on your side. You will end up a pauper. So my point If you actually do kill anyone. Don't tell anyone not even your wife. put the corpse in the freezer and saw it up after it frozen and burn it in the wood stove. DTA. Don't Tell Anyone & Don't Trust Anyone especially the cops.

29. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

The only way I'd shoot to kill would be in a situation where it was the perp or me. Just the sound of a 12 ga pump racking is enough to scare off almost any perp unless they are so high it doesn't register to them what it is.

And I agree with you Old Wolf, a lot of times the "authorities" are more crooked than the ones they are supposed to be arresting. We've had a few county Sheriff's that got locked up for drug dealing and embezzlement of county funds. I've heard some old timers say the only difference between crooks and the law was that the law had the courts on their side.

Old wolf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.