Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I love driving old cars!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 7, 2019.

1. I was talking to a gentleman this morning at Brenda's shop from New Jersey that had flown down for a funeral and he happened to see my screen saver of my old Deuce sedan and commented that he had a couple of old original cars, a 34 3 window coupe & a 39 Ford convertible but he just collected them and doesn't drive them, his major concern was not being involved in a accident but breaking down.

I told him about my recent problem but things like that happen but they are rare, I've put thousands of miles on my hot rods over the years and will continue to do so.

I can't imagine any pleasure out of looking at them. HRP

2. squirrel

squirrel

I enjoy look at them from the inside, out, as well.

WB69, Boryca, classiccarjack and 14 others like this.
  3. I like looking at my cars in the garage
    I LOVE driving the friggin’ wheels off them more!!!

I think the same thing people who build a great car and are scared to drive it, even the parts and car hoarders that never sell or finish a project get me scratching my head.

A good friend of mine built an amazing 63 vette took him 8 years or so and sold it as soon as it was done for great money and bought a 69 or 70 Chevelle ( ot car)
    When I asked him why his answer was simple “ I had no kids when I started the vette project now I have 2
    Where am I going in a 2 seater that I built into a numbers matching show car ??”
    The chevelle is a clean driver that the family fits in and we can ALL have fun!

I know , I’m rambling I’ll stop now.

4. 2935ford

2935ford

I already know what they look like, so behind the wheel is where I want to be! :)

5. ...it's a great feeling to drive an old car or truck that you put together from the frame up.

6. deadbeat

deadbeat

I really don't understand these folk that have all these great machines locked up in a garage because they can. We build them, break them and fix them. For me the fun is going somewhere and getting home safe, if we have to fix something on the side of the road so be it. But then again, I really never have understood why some folk use a trailer to go somewhere either, cheers

7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

So far this year, I've driven the '40 102 days and the Nomad 44. It is a 70 mile round trip to work. I always enjoy getting behind the wheel.

8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

They are cars (and trucks), not statues! "It's too nice to be driven". Really? Sorry, if I can afford to buy it, I'm darn well gonna drive it. A Pinto or a Deusenberg, it's gonna get driven.

9. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I just can’t imagine building a car and then not driving it. Yesterday evening Theresa and I took a drive to Sacramento, NE to a restaurant for supper after we got married. It’s covered with bugs now, but it will wash up ok. I have always built them to drive

10. AGREED! Just can't seem to find enough time to drive enough.

Midwest City, OK, next week to the Buick Club of America Nationals. Towing the teardrop. Selling parts. Visiting. HAVING FUN.

Come see us!

Ben

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

If Jay Leno can take a one of a kind multi million dollar car out and drive it, I can take my rusty ass beater out, too! I'm not into museum pieces, they have their place for sure, but cars were meant to be transportation, and that means driven!

I don't get anything out of just sitting and looking at my stuff, I want to experience it's sights, smells, and feelings. That's why most of my stuff is never "finished", once I get it road worthy, I can't hardly stand to down it to change anything. Has to be something major, like the trans giving up on my Lincoln, to make me take it off the road and start over with changes.

12. Drive 'em Like You Stole 'em!!!!!:D

WB69, hrm2k, deathrowdave and 7 others like this.
  13. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Afraid of an accident? You gotta be kidding me. Most of these cars we have were inside out when we got them. I love driving my A van taa. Yes that's how it's pronounced I love the way they cant figure out what the hell it is .I love giving them the tour of all the different parts that make these cars up.

14. After all these years I still feel that twinge of excitement when the old beater fires up, The old car let me down last Saturday but I got the parts to fix the ignition problem yesterday, fired off the sedan I got that feeling was back, I love hearing the Deuce run but more than that driving it! HRP

15. v8flat44

v8flat44

Drive em! I admire folks with really nice cars & car show goers. Just not 4 me, i'd rather have the windows down, listening to the exhaust rumble than to sit in a law chair & stare at the trunk.

16. PoTaToTrUcK

PoTaToTrUcK

Put another 535 miles on my flathead last weekend. Window down for about 500 of them. I deleted the next sentence before the webpolice saw it.
    T/F

17. I no what you mean I just had my Merc. out for the First Time this Year.
    I have had Medical Problems since Dec. I have Been Fighting real Hard to overcome
    Them which I think I got a hold off.
    its hard when you Get Old to fight off certain things!
    I well be 85 in a Couple of Month's but like a "Timex" I keep on Ticking
    Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

18. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

My avatar has 150k on it, and has been in two thirds of the states. My 34 had 93k when it died, and is getting closer to racking up more miles. Yup, I like to drive em.

Hombre, arkiehotrods, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  19. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep!---------300,000 miles to date----Love chasing those lines!!!!!!

20. You got that right Jim, even if Mother Nature doesn't co-operate :) HRP

[​IMG]

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

problem is, there is another thread going here about cars actually getting stolen

22. .................Yeah. That sucks!!!! I hate a thief.:mad:

23. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I said to the wife yesterday , the next new car she gets needs to be a restored classic. Heck with all the wires, hoses , sensors, puters and gobbledy gook. Only accessories I want to see when I pop the hood is p/s , A/C and the oil dip stick.

chryslerfan55 and 3W JOHN like this.
  24. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

I love driving my wagon.

[​IMG]

25. Driving my old mordor for the last time before being loaded in a container for Toyko. HRP

Dscn0027-vi-1.jpg

26. 6sally6

6sally6

Once saw a "pristine" 19-- Chevelle (can I say that here?)
    on the rack and asked the guy standing there if it was his. "Oh yeah...bought it about 10 years ago...all original!" I say "sweet ....bet that puppy will haul-the-freight like some of the ones I rode in back in the day!"
    "OHH...I don't take it out on the interstate..afraid some idiot will hit me or a rock might fly up and chip it!" " So you DON'T drive it?" "No not really....keep it covered up in the garage and go out and 'look-at-it'..... occasionally."
    Just kinda walked off shaking my empty head.
    There's a lot of'em out there I guess
    6sally6

27. I drive my Ford quite often, all winter in fact on no salt or ice days. It feels like a normal car by now, I have about 10,000 miles on it in less than 3 years. I know a guy with a real old car, maybe a '29 Reo? That car is a chore to drive and a top speed around 50. He drives it only in parades and local shows. Mine goes everywhere since it will cruise nice at 70 all day.

28. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Well the original post was about the fellow who was anxious not about crashes but rather breakdowns.

Okay, maybe some old car owners can't fix anything, but don't you guys have cell phones and AAA down there?

29. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

SouthBeachArtDeco1amfog.jpg Love to drive,most fun part of going any were!. In my case there's some extra fun,do too it's a time warp trip each go=I drove the same hot rod too high school back in very early 1960s. Going in a pack of hot rods ,beside being fun,helps if any one has road brake downs.
    I have also drove a lot of other hot rods and race cars. A few are sad things that drive poorly,don't get driven very often do too that. Some are EZ to fix,others were doomed from the start=builder got sucked into the bubble of BS ,about how cool over chopped is, or others liked bad designed cowl steering etc. It's a long list of mistakes that should not be copied,yet some one didn't bother to find out.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  30. Henry didn't build my car when it was new for someone to buy and look at. I don't want to insult the legacy of the man who revolutionized the automobile for the masses.
    All cars (even new ones) are apt to break down sooner or later. If that were not true-the tow truck business would be dead.
    I say Drive 'Em!