Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Alternator mounts...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustydusty, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Looking for a proper way to mount my alternator on my T. Right now, it's got two adjusting brackets bolted together underneath, besides being just wrong, makes it floppy... the adjusting brackets I've seen seem to come from above the alternator and I think would hit my frame. Any suggestions? I would like to keep it low, but will mount it above if necessary. The engine is a '66 283 with no threaded holes in the heads. 20190603_172019.jpg 20190603_172034.jpg

2. squirrel

squirrel

adding another spacer to the top bolt, and a short plate between the two bolts, right in front of the alternator, would make it pretty stout

alanp561 and dana barlow like this.
  3. Am I right in assuming that I need a long water pump to use a top mount?

4. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Yes unless you find a aftermarket setup.

5. squirrel

squirrel

this is on a big block, but might give you some ideas? over 20k miles on it, never any problems at all and it has been revved past 6500 too many times
    alt mount.jpg

6. squirrel

squirrel

I thought I posted my reply earlier, I guess it didn't go through.

The long water pump used a pass side alternator mount, and used the holes in the head. The driver side alternator mount for the short water pump used brackets on the exhaust manifold and no holes in the head, or the later ones used the holes in the head and a different bracket. There were a couple different designs of brackets to mount to the manifold, or headers, you can buy aftermarket setups like this pretty easily, the alternator hangs out a ways though.

j-jock likes this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Directly to the block with a spacer and a bolt will break the bolt. You need a mount like Jim shows..

8. Roger that guys. I will do a search for a driver's side mount. The big block mount style would hit the frame.
    As always, thanks for the info!

9. Make your own off of either the front two exhaust bolts or the front two intake bolts and leave the short pump. Also make or buy the long adjustable top mount and run off the intake or water pump.

10. Jokester

Jokester

Here's mine, low on driver's side, attaches to both OE motor mount bolts. It pivots on the top bolt; the bottom hole is slotted for adjustment. Solid as a rock. The alternator is from some OT Buick 4 cylinder, slightly smaller od than the typical GM alternators.

Please disregard the cobwebs hanging from the alternator. I haven't dusted lately. How embarrassing!

.bjb

Attached Files:

alanp561 likes this.
  11. dcs13

dcs13

12. manyolcars

manyolcars

I don't know how to add a link from this steenkin Android but Google --- made a bracket manyolcars hamb

13. goldmountain

goldmountain

14. Some great ideas! You guys really came through.

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon