Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Shain

Shain
    from Omaha

Hooker didn't have fender wells for the 55-57 Chevys early on. We had under chassis Hookers (1966) on our 56 Chevy Jr stocker.....soon, Hooker made fender wells and started paying contingency $$$ Stahl didn't.

So...many supposedly changed to Hooker fender wells.

enloe and loudbang like this.
  2. jailbird

jailbird

the embaumber and weibles and barcleys 57's had hookers I know they paid money hooker
    so what year did they come out guess my car is not pre 1965 parts I have the adjustable type
    I read some where the restoration of one of those Jr. stocker guys 57 sold there Hooker Jr. Headers
    and they are on another famous 57 maybe on the embaumber or barcleys car vise versa
    anyway for the correct restoration they regreat not having them

3. question for those in the know... (I assume it wasn't already addressed)... If a 50's & 60's car was campaigned hard and didn't wreck... was it generally in decent enough shape to be put back on the streets? Or, did most cars develop problems from such quarter mile use (& abuse?) that they were deemed... potentially unsafe? I ask because some of the cars in this thread were parted, abandoned, and left to rot or even crushed, while others seemed to have found a new lives as non-drag cars.

Gotta56forme/Scott

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  4. jailbird

jailbird

After Looking at some Nhra nostalgic heritage rules which your build would have to be documented, and handed to tech inspector to be scrutinized sounds like the hooker fender well headers would not make the cut because they were not available 1964 if that is a fact

5. Shain

Shain
    from Omaha

Gott...
    Pretty much everything you mentioned happened.

Most of the Jr stockers were either (after rule change eliminating them) .. they were moved up to a modified production class with different drive train (or a gas class)..... or put on the street. Most sold off stocker race the engines and parts. Doubt many were scrapped until they sat outside a few decades and rusted away.

I used one of our first Jr stock 265 engines in a 56 Nomad I drove on the street as daily transportation.

We sold our 56 Chevy Jr stocker a couple of years before the rule change (1970-71 ? ) and I know the buyer raced it in stock class. After them. another buyer went to mod, production and eventually a gas glass. Later restored for nice street car. Don't know what happened to it after that.

6. jailbird

jailbird

I wish I had one of those wagons - nomads or delivery's they are awesome I would make a Jr, stocker
    one I could drive anytime anywhere.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  7. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

There were probably more moved up into Super Stock than any other class.
    It was most likely an easier move with a cam and intake change.

loudbang and Tom 57 150 like this.
  8. jailbird

jailbird

500 really
    500 pages so far, good old jr stockers

9. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

10. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

11. loudbang

loudbang

12. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I can not speak for everyone but my 57’ was raced from new to 71 when it was retired. At that point the trunk was pretty beat up from the shocks. It was in the process of being striped before being scrapped when the original owner’s racing partner got the car and put it back on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. loudbang

loudbang

This the Chickenhawk?

chicken hawk .....jpg

14. rudestude

rudestude

15. rudestude

rudestude

Tragic end to a very cool car with alot of history , Ted was a very lucky man... 1559748671878~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Might be mistaken, but I believe that he's now racing this 63 Studebaker. Yeah, it's factory supercharged.

63 Stude.jpg

1947knuck, quick85, Deuces and 11 others like this.
  17. rudestude

rudestude

Yes, I believe he is ...he's been doing it along time, it's cool to look back and see the changes that were made to the Chicken Hawk through the years..a guy like that is not going to let a little tuck and roll insedent slow him down ,just shake it off and climb into another car and do what you do best....Hammer Down...

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces, NHRANUT, Bowtie Coupe and 5 others like this.
  18. vetteguy402

vetteguy402
    from omaha, ne

What a sleeper. I love 'em.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. loudbang

loudbang

20. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

Looks like a '60.

RustyDogg, lawman, Tom 57 150 and 4 others like this.
  21. loudbang

loudbang

Could well be I'm a Ford Guy :)

22. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

Deuces, loudbang and Tom 57 150 like this.
  23. loudbang

loudbang

24. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Ran across this picture while researching for another thread. The '54 Hudson Jet mentioned in the caption was a highly controversial combination that reportedly took full advantage of every loophole in the book. For a fairly brief span of time during the early 60's the Hudson was a force to be reckoned with in Stock Eliminator. From the "The Beauty" and "The Beast" Twin-H Hornets of Chuck Parcell and Ike Smith to the controversial Jet combination pictured, they were tough to beat. Shortly after the Jet began to embarrass more traditional combinations, they were legislated out of competition. I had also forgotten that C/FX was a part of Junior Stock in those days. Hoefer's Weber-carbed 289 was no slouch but the Hudson apparently handed him his ass on this occasion. Bill Hoefer CFX 65 FORD.jpg

25. Shain

Shain
    from Omaha

The Hudson had optional engine stuff available. Other wise it was a 104 hp 6 cyl 3 speed as the base model.

The "Twin H" was dual down draft carbs (2 1-bbl ) (Twin H-Power) with an aluminum head, ...and they had available 4-speed Dual-Range Hydra-Matic Also could get 4:27 rear end as stock rear.

Maybe the "H" combo wasn't actually available to the public in the "Jet" model ?

26. loudbang

loudbang

From here:http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-...656451&page=1&placeonpage=2&totaldisplayed=50

Stock

In the 1952 model year, in an effort to enhance HP for racing and to be competitive with the then current OHV V-8s on the street, Hudson released dual carburetion, called "Twin-H Power." The system consisted of a special cast iron intake, two large Carter 1-barrel carburetors with attendant special actuation linkage, their own individual air cleaners, and a special exhaust manifold with two carburetor choke stove pipes in the center two exhaust ports.

Twin-H Power was available for the Wasp 262 and the Hornet 308 cid engines. It was not available for the 232 version. Hudson indicated that the dual carbs added 10 horsepower to both 262 and 308 engines. Twin-H was both a factory installed (assembly line) option as well as being available as a dealer over-the-counter add-on kit.

7X Race Engine

The 7X engine was released during late 1952 for racing and severe usage. It was only available as a 308 cid version. These engines were not factory installed assembly-line pieces, but were available either as a dealer installed option or as a crate engine. Each were hand-built, and many times individually modified in-house by Hudson's Race Shop, based upon racer demand. They were available on a very limited basis.

These 7X engine started out with hand selected block cores prior to modification for the least core shift and the thickest cylinder walls for durability. Each engine received larger 2.00" intake and 1.6875" exhaust valves. The valve ports and bowls were hand ported and opened to match the larger valve sizes. The relief area was hand-machined to remove any flow restrictions over this area of the block into the cylinder. The head bolt threads were enlarged to 1/2" diameter for better head gasket retention.

All 7X engines used a 232 cid cylinder head for higher compression. The cast iron 232 head yielded 8.7:1, and with the 232 aluminum head it was 9.2:1.

The first cam used was called "7X Flat Top" and also known as the "742" cam, was introduced in April of 1953 and is part # 309742. There were lots of customer complaints about this cam. There was trouble setting it up and it apparently ate timing chains. This cam quickly progressed to the "Super 7X" in August of 1953. This cam had part # 311040. The lift is 0.390" and duration 268 degrees. It has a rough idle and the overlap is noticed in the lopey exhaust note. Clifford engineering makes replacements of the #040 and #742 cam.

Each 7X engine received a Twin-H Power intake, carburetors and a special exhaust manifold with a bolt-on twin outlet elbow for dual exhaust in place of the standard single outlet elbow. The exhaust manifold itself is different internally in the area of the intake manifold heat chamber. The 7X version is totally sealed off from the intake so no direct exhaust gas flows into the intake for an improvement in flow for the center two exhaust ports.

Pistons, bearings and crankshafts were hand-selected and fitted for the best clearances and lowest amount of rotational drag. Horsepower ratings were never given as exact numbers due to the hand fitting and modifications but were listed in various publications as 220-240 HP.

31hotrodguy, NHRANUT, enloe and 5 others like this.
  27. loudbang

loudbang

From the same place

Twin-H Power was available on All Jets, Super Wasps and All Hudsons. The poor Wasp was not included.

1.JPG

1947knuck, 31hotrodguy, enloe and 3 others like this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

29. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

30. rooman

rooman

Bowtie Coupe likes this.