Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *JW*

*JW*

2. *JW*

*JW*

3. *JW*

*JW*

4. *JW*

*JW*

5. *JW*

*JW*

6. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

That could be but it is still better looking than a 60 Plymouth, and waaaaaay better than an ugly assed 61 Plymouth!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Bleach, Deuces, *JW* and 1 other person like this.
  7. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I wonder if the same "close enough paint match" guy that painted the 50 Ford fender painted the bike John Deere green?

HEMIDAV, Deuces, *JW* and 2 others like this.
  8. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

9. JD Miller

JD Miller

10. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

My dumb ass didn't keep the radio from my 1959... Sigh

I should have never sold it!!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. JD Miller

JD Miller

HEMIDAV, Bleach, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  12. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

HEMIDAV, Bleach, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  13. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

14. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Bleach, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

HEMIDAV, Bleach, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  16. *JW*

*JW*

Detroit Electric

17. *JW*

*JW*

This Dodge wagon was owned by Clark Gable (pictured). Its features included dual side mounts with covers, a spotlight, dual wipers, extra front bumper guards and super balloon tires on oversized rims.
    Body was built by US Body & Forging

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    HEMIDAV, Bleach, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  18. HEMIDAV, BigO, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  19. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-6-1_2-58-19.png
    Hello,

We are quite familiar with this corner as it is near the downtown LA area. Santa Fe Ave. was the parallel street to take from Long Beach, North to the downtown Los Angeles area. My dad took the adjoining street, Alameda St. as the number one way to get into Los Angeles before the Long Beach Freeway was put in place. But, we ended up on Santa Fe to by pass road blockage to get into Los Angeles. It was a major thoroughfare from the shoreline in Long Beach to LA.

I remember the first time my dad drove us up to LA in his old Buick. He had to get back on Santa Fe to go around some road stoppage. I immediately said to him that this is Santa Fe Ave that is back by our old house. He was impressed that I had local street knowledge from near our house in the Westside of Long Beach. That parallel street build from way back in the real early days was probably thought out as being the major roads from the harbor area. Talk about a daily drive that used these old highways from 1946 to 1952 until the Long Beach Freeway was opened for traffic.

“Officially known as the Long Beach Freeway, it runs 23 miles north from Long Beach to Alhambra following the course of the Los Angeles River for most of its route. The first section of the Long Beach Freeway opened in 1952; the last in 1970. Originally numbered CA 15, it was renumbered CA 7 in 1964 when work on began on Interstate 15. In September 1983 it was approved as an interstate, and In 1984 it was changed I-710.”

Jnaki

Some extras:
    The Alameda Street roadway is right next to the entrance to the old Lions Dragstrip and runs parallel to the Dragstrip tarmac. (Or what used to be the tarmac. It is hard to see because of the million containers piled up sky high…) Since Alameda St. was next to the Wilmington oil refineries and was a straight away for a mile or so, it was used as an acceleration point for hot rods and racers, late into the night. The backdrop of the lights from the refineries and the measly street lights made this stretch of road, a picturesque street raceway. It was always tempting to step on the gas pedal when on this old Alameda Street.

Today, Alameda Street is still used as a traffic corridor from the harbor area to the industrial areas all along this roadway and into the downtown Los Angeles warehouses. There were plans to move the big trucks off of the freeway and onto a super straight highway from one point to another, but that idea fell by the wayside…

Santa Fe still runs from the LB/LA Harbor industrial areas to downtown Los Angeles, but the traffic is usually limited to cars in our old Long Beach neighborhood. The big semi-trucks were moved over to the LB Freeway or Alameda Street.

“By 1949, Long Beach had already invested $1,000,000 on the freeway, and the city's Chamber of Commerce made reoccurring appeals to the California State Highway Commission for continued support.”

“But a lack of outside involvement was perhaps desirable for Long Beach, because for the city a central premise of the 710 was to facilitate port traffic with local industry, in lieu of other traffic calming measures.”

"The Long Beach Freeway will connect the U.S. Naval installations at Long Beach and Terminal Island with the industrial area in Los Angeles and vicinity."

“The Division of Highways, on the other hand, stressed that the main goal of the 710 was port accessibility. This artery...is to serve the harbor, [and is] an attempt to devise an adequate means of distributing ... traffic into our harbor and business districts."

20. wicarnut

wicarnut

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    HEMIDAV, Speedwrench, Dave Mc and 7 others like this.
  21. JD Miller

JD Miller

22. JD Miller

JD Miller

Nice ford :eek:
    [​IMG]

Chrisbcritter, BigO, Dave Mc and 4 others like this.
  23. JD Miller

JD Miller

24. wicarnut

wicarnut

# 59 Pat Flaherty with movie actor Clark Gable in black shirt and a thinner Andy Granatelli on the left of car 1950. #8, #6, 1955/1956, 2 big years for the John Zink racing team
    [​IMG][​IMG]Victory Lane, 1956 [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Lil32, JOHN EVANS, HEMIDAV and 10 others like this.
  25. wicarnut

wicarnut

[​IMG]Bob Sweikert 1955 Indy Winner[​IMG][​IMG]

26. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

27. wicarnut

wicarnut

The Milwaukee Mile track was a 1 mile (1.6 km) private horse racing track by 1876. In 1891, the site was purchased by the Agricultural Society of the State of Wisconsin to create a permanent site for the Wisconsin State Fair (which it still is).

The first motorsports event was held on September 11, 1903. William Jones of Chicago won a five lap speed contest, and set the first track record with a 72-second, 50 mph (80 km/h) lap. There were 24-hour endurance races in 1907 and 1908. Louis Disbrow won the first 100-mile (160 km) event in 1915, averaging 62.5 mph (100.6 km/h).

Barney Oldfield's success at the Mile helped make him a legend. He set the track record in 1905 and raised his speed in 1910 to 70.159 mph (112.910 km/h) in his "Blitzen Benz". In 1911, Ralph DePalma won the first Milwaukee Mile Championship car race, four years before his Indianapolis 500 win. Oldfield drove a gold car built by Harry Miller that completely enclosed the driver (called the "Golden Submarine"), and in June 1917 he beat DePalma in a series of 10 to 25-mile (40 km) match races.

The July 17, 1933 race was rained out. Wilbur Shaw and the other drivers convinced the track promoters to run the race the following day and the term "rain date" was born.

Huge new grandstands were installed in the 1930s, with seating for 14,900 people. They replaced the original grandstands that were built in 1914. A roof was placed over the grandstands in 1938. Track paved for 1954, These grandstands stood until new aluminum grandstands were installed in September 2002.

The 1939 race was the first AAA Championship race.

The 1937 non-championship AAA event was best known for running 96 laps (instead of 100) due to a scoring error. It was won by Rex Mays, who continued his domination throughout the 1940s by winning in 1941 and the next race (after World War II) in 1946.

The tradition of hosting the "race after the Indianapolis 500" began in 1947. In the 1969 film, Winning, starring actor and race driver Paul Newman, the character he plays (Frank Capua) remarks, “Everybody goes to Milwaukee after Indy.”

The Milwaukee Mile held more national championship midget, stock and Indy car races than any other track in the country between 1947 and 1980. I[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]I went to most of the races there from 1953 through the 60's, many good memories of time spent with my Dad, Sadly track/racing there has stopped for years now, bad decisions by fair board, bad promoters, I've read, someone is going to promote/try a show there this summer. Things and Time change, not always for the good, another race track gone.

kbgreen, JOHN EVANS, *JW* and 9 others like this.
  28. tinsled

tinsled

Where did you find this photo?
    It must be shot in Finland. A finnish plate and all details match:
    - poor condition of tires (in the 50's country was very poor after the war)
    - non-original head lights (whatever spares were used, almost like in Cuba later on...)
    - frost & ice
    a 1939 Studebaker, right?

HEMIDAV, BigO, Bleach and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.