Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 Humber Hawk

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by matt-miles, May 24, 2016.

1. matt-miles

matt-miles

Hey Charlie! Thanks for the kind words!

That hawk looks mean! Is it sitting on Rostyles?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. matt-miles

matt-miles

Thanks man!

I’ll look into that. I’ve also seen recommendations for lechler products, so might give them a look too...

Thanks again!

3. matt-miles

matt-miles

James D, you always come up with the goods!

I’m afraid that’s way beyond my level of craftsmanship... but I love the proportions... maybe something to look at for the future...

Just out of interest, do you have a site where I can see more of your work? Loving your stuff!

Besty34 likes this.
  4. Thanks Matt. Very kind.
    Not sure about much of anything being beyond your skill level though. You´re working wonders.

No i don´t have a site. I post a lot of it on the UK Kustoms FB page or on Rik Hovings Custom Car Chronicle site, as there´s a photoshop thread going on there. Or on here on the PS thread, though not so much lately.

Peanut 1959 and Besty34 like this.
  5. matt-miles

matt-miles

Well, to say the last year and a half have thrown a spanner in the works with regards to progress on this old pile would be an understatement!

The ramping-up of the day job, home-schooling and a general change of lifestyle have all taken priority over ‘playing’ in the garage. I am grateful that I can just put this to the back of my mind when required.

But with the latest lock-down here in the UK, I’ve decided to get back into this as a means of therapy. I’ve spent another few hours at it today, and I realised how important this hobby is for mental health.

Anyway, on with some progress pics...
    IMG_8012.JPG
    IMG_8013.JPG
    IMG_8014.JPG
    IMG_8015.JPG

Nothing much to see except that I’ve had to make a relief cut in this rear fender panel as it seems to be a little miss-shapen.

The good news is that this wheel tub is much better in terms of rust, so it shouldn’t take as long to get put back together compared with the other side. I’ve just got to remember how to do all this stuff again!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

6. SR100

SR100

I was just wondering how this was coming along. Looking forward to seeing more of it!

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  7. goldmountain

goldmountain

I've just gone through all your posts again and am really impressed by how you are managing to pull this off in a single car garage without a rotisserie and simple tools.

41 GMC K-18, Hnstray and Peanut 1959 like this.
  8. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

@matt-miles: please don't write off the possibility of 4 to 2 door conversion, from I've seen on this thread it's not beyond your skills - check out this guy's videos (it would all apply to your car). The top you can perhaps chop once you feel more confident...

Okie Pete, Besty34 and Surfcityrocker like this.
  9. cfmvw

cfmvw

It's looking pretty good! There have been some project cars on this forum that started out a lot worse than yours, and they all turned out nice.

10. Just looked at this whole thread. I noticed you mentioned Volvo 240 Rears. I used one back in the 80s in a Henry J, great rear end, a baby Dana axle really. Mine also had disks.

11. matt-miles

matt-miles

Managed to get a little time on this at the weekend... Feels like I’ve got some momentum going again!

This side was so much easier to tackle because the wheeltub wasn’t nearly as far gone as the other corners.

Anyway, not much to see, but progress is progress...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As much as I’d love to Two-door it, I also just want to get it on the road... but never say never...

Peeps, tr_rodder, 41 GMC K-18 and 6 others like this.
  12. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're doing well. Congratulations on sticking to the job. Keep it up, and you'll have that car I never heard of in fine shape.

matt-miles likes this.
  13. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

The gaps on the patches look pretty darned nice, to me. Good on ya'! Looking forward to your next progress update.

matt-miles likes this.
  14. You are knockin' it out of the park mate. Keep up the good work. I wish I could get on with my truck.

matt-miles likes this.
  15. matt-miles

matt-miles

Finally got this panel welded in... There’s a little warpage where I can’t get to the back of the panel due to the wheel tub, but I’m not afraid of a little filler...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Peeps, tr_rodder, 41 GMC K-18 and 9 others like this.
  16. matt-miles

matt-miles

Some more progress today... I managed to get a little fibreglass on the welds to the rear quarter panel. Seems weird putting what I used to consider only good for ‘bodging up’ or hiding damage. But I guess if it stops the finish from cracking, then it’s worth doing.

IMG_8641.JPG
    IMG_8636.JPG

The panel’s still not as straight as I’d have liked, as I’ve not taken a bit of a hiatus from playing with cars over the past few months, but there seems to be few high spots, so at least I’ve got that going for me.

Oh yeah, I also made this little patch panel up which required a flanged hole for the bumper bolt... this was a good evenings work, but quite pleased with the result.

IMG_8597.JPG
    IMG_8599.JPG
    IMG_8595.JPG

Then it was onto the front... I was pleasantly surprised to see the rust on the wheel tub was limited to the edge of the panel, where it would have met the fender/wing. So I’ve still got some fabricating to do, but it won’t be as tricky as the other side (unless I make it hard work for myself, that is...)

IMG_8631.JPG
    IMG_8633.JPG
    IMG_8624.JPG

That pile of black stuff was, I think, the original factory under seal. I say that because it seemed to have some sort of fibre-backing under the soft bitumen top layer... whatever it is, it’s bloody horrible stuff and I can still smell it hours later... wheel tub looks nice and solid though!

IMG_8622.JPG
    IMG_8630.JPG

Also trial fitted the new quarter panel to see how its going to look...

IMG_8645.JPG

We’re getting there!

Peeps, tr_rodder, 41 GMC K-18 and 8 others like this.
  17. Matt, I'm a great admirer of your work ethic and ability...but I would definitely not use fibreglass on that panel. It has a bad habit of delaminating, growing rust under it...not good.
    If you need to, use a quality metal or glass reinforced filler as a better option.

Others may chime in with their 2 cents.;)

18. matt-miles

matt-miles

Thanks for the kind words x38... This is exactly why I post on here, I appreciate the feedback.

I should have been clearer, I think I got the terminology wrong - I’ve used a glass reinforced product available here in the UK called P40. It’s horrible to use, but it’s a short strand fibre-reinforced filler. I pushed it hard into the panel, and applied it quite sparingly. In your opinion, would this be better or worse than simply applying regular filler over the weld?

You’ve prompted me to search for ‘fibreglass over welds’ on here, and there appears to be quite the debate...

Thanks again man!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I used a brand of filler like that, back in the '80s, called "Kitty Hair" by Evercoat.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. Squablow

Squablow

Yeah, we'd call that "kitty hair" over here. Not the same as sheets of fiberglass matting and resin, which would be a big issue but that's not what you're doing so I'd say you're good.

I know I've said it before but I really like this build just because it shows what can be fixed with some patience and fab skills.

Peanut 1959 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. Lookin' good Matt. Slowly, slowly, catchey monkey.

22. It´s bad enough that most cars have that sort of construction on the rear arches, where the inner and outer arches are welded together at the lip, in a way more or less guaranteed not only to rot out, but to be an absolute pig to repair. Humber had to go and do it on all four corners!

23. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome work, was just reading from the 1st page and after a while was thinking that you should 2 door it and maybe a little chop. Then page 5 comes along and I see Im not alone. Go on, you know you want to... :)

24. matt-miles

matt-miles

Just read the post on build threads going cold and I thought I’d resurrect this one.

Progress is slow due to the day job/freelancing and family/house stuff taking priority, but I’m making progress! (Even if it doesn’t feel like it sometimes!)

Anyway, here’s what I’ve been up to in the garage lately…

Drivers side rear door was a mess… the more I ground away, the more rust, filler and lead I found, all sandwiched between 3 door skins. So I more or less had to cut the entire bottom of the door away, inner and outer skin.

BDF61B70-EF1F-49A3-B35A-3511958EFF19.jpeg
    0368C3F9-9D51-4F02-9C3E-73C227688F99.jpeg
    99BAC3FF-AE13-49A5-898A-E4D7050C54B2.jpeg
    This meant I had to get creative with the wire again and trace around the perimeter of the door aperture to give me something to build up to…
    F2C58EDB-65D3-4DF6-9140-E000EFB9436D.jpeg
    Once that was more or less where I wanted it, I could build up the inner structure in order to skin it again…
    4C29771A-2AAD-421E-B78C-CE4F640CD85F.jpeg
    BB24171E-8048-4E28-B649-728CE61776D0.jpeg
    F85EF87E-2A45-4B55-8C35-3434A7C5AE5E.jpeg
    6F4B35FD-62B7-4ECF-A6D8-BCFD39BCB0BF.jpeg
    F742FA1C-A1BA-4315-B838-1E9CD07EA067.jpeg
    5EECDF7C-9082-41F6-9695-9C1A04298520.jpeg

Now I’m not going to lie, it’s going to need a fair bit of filler to get it nice and flat, but that doesn’t bother me too much… I may have bodged it, but it’s a better bodge than was on there before - that’s progress, right?

Peeps, tr_rodder, Besty34 and 11 others like this.
  25. Squablow

Squablow

Filler to smooth out a fully welded seam is not a bad thing, that's exactly the purpose of it. Filler to fill in rust holes and cover up damage, that's where it's bad.

Still loving this build, still enjoying watching it come along.

Peeps likes this.
  26. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

It's not AA Book Of The Car (chicken wire, newspaper and a very generous helping of filler), so taking up the final wrinkles with a light skim isn't a bodge.
    That's how bespoke bodyshops do it on handbuilt vehicles. Be proud, you're putting in more effort than Rootes ever did...

James D and Kroombit like this.
  27. I like the wire idea.

28. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

" Everything old is new again "
    " Perfection, cannot be rushed "

HAMMER MAN.jpg

H=HEROIC
    U=UNDAUNTED
    M=METAL
    B=BENDING
    E=ELIMINATING
    R=RUST

H=HAPPY
    A=AGAIN
    W=WELDING
    K=KRAKEN

Bravo to you @matt-miles for taking on this incredible task of bringing this Humber Hawk back to life !
    I would say that your metal skills are on par with @CadMad , and @Cody Walls indeed !

It takes leather balls to play rugby, and it takes a hell of a lot of patience and determination, to accomplish what you have so far !

Keep up the good work, and thanks for posting and sharing this project with the H.A.M.B. Universe !
    Dennis.

SPEED ENVELOPE.jpg

29. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

30. Great work on the door mate!!
    Finally got my garage finished and the truck home. Now to finish the build. 280.JPG 281.JPG

Attached Files:

• 283.JPG
      283.JPG
      File size:
      243.7 KB
      Views:
    matt-miles and 41 GMC K-18 like this.