Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration So u find a car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donuts & Peelouts, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Hypothetically...

What do you do if you find a car abonded in the middle of nowhere. How do you make it yours?

Info
    Tips
    Experience

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. Start with finding out who owns the land. Around here we have maps that list the landowners names.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Hey DP, did you see the recent thread of that famous Chevy van the guy hauled off? Worth finding, if it's still there.

Find out if it's on public or private land.
    Take the Vin to the DMV.

For starters..

4. F&J

F&J

Here in my location, online info from town property tax websites will give you the name of the person or agency that owns the property where the "abandoned" vehicle is. You may look at it as abandoned, but it is owned by that property owner in the eyes of law.

5. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

google wild cherry van.

6. Squablow

Squablow

Find out who owns that particular piece of "nowhere" and then ask them. Sometimes you'll be turned away, sometimes you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I've asked about a lot of stuff over the years, sometimes I get told to fuck off, but sometimes I get even more than I knew existed, so it's worth it. The key is to find the right person to ask, and then ask nicely.

The Wild Cherry van is a great cautionary tale for people who don't bother to ask.

Wraith, MO54Frank, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  7. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Okay thanks guys. Sure hope I can get a pleasant surprise in the future. Appriciate all the responses. Ill look into the wild cherry van

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I guess I need to review the "Wild " Van as well. Never heard what happened once he got to Van Nuts cruise.

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

^^It's Wild!

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Update as of last week: Looks like the dude came out alright, pays 5k restitution, gets to the keep the van, no further jail time. Prior owner pissed off. Must of had a good lawyer.

https://www.bnd.com/news/local/article230467174.html

chryslerfan55, VANDENPLAS and Deuces like this.
  11. Deuces

Deuces

Beware of land owners with shotguns!!!!!.....:confused:
    Git yur perpendicular ass off my property you sombitch!!!!!:mad::confused:.........:eek:

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  12. manyolcars

manyolcars

The thief got to keep the van? That ain't right! I've had old cars on my property for 50 years. That doesn't make them 'abandoned'.

13. We have some acreage where we used to live . Its three miles away. We still have some bulldozers tractors and vehicles there. I even occasionally pasture our two milk cows there. Granted its not pretty. the old 1970's house trailer is rotting and collapsing. however its fenced with a locked gate and no trespassing signs and purple paint.We have often been asked what we are going to do with that abandoned place. That really pisses us off. Especially when someone ask about something they could not see unless they where trespassing. I still have the electricity turned on at the pole shed that's there. I use it to power the single strand electric fence and pump water for the cows during the dry part of the year. My advice don't worry about other folks stuff. there is plenty for sale at reasonable prices . That is much better than trying to get some free (abandoned) stuff. PS read the sign in my avatar!

14. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I heard out West and in some places in the rural South, wild herds of Model As and Pre- War Fords still roam free.:rolleyes:

chryslerfan55, Deuces and Old wolf like this.
  15. BJR

BJR

So.... Donuts and Peelouts asked the question back in December 2018. What did he find out about whatever car he found. Did he buy it? What was it. Did the land owner shoot him and bury his body next to the car? Curious minds want to know.

16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Must be out west, anything that wasn’t bolted down around here ( and a lot of stuff that was) got hauled off when scrap prices were through the roof a few years back.

chryslerfan55, Deuces and Old wolf like this.
  17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

How many felonies did this douchebag commit? Probably has a gofundme page going for his legal fees. Thief, period.

18. Arkansas can be a sketchy place. We shoot people for less than that! I know from family experience. No lie and no joke! Combat Veterans get trigger happy when you mess with their shit! IMG_20190106_172238.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  19. Taught at a young age, always ask. Don’t just take.

This mantra has surprised me more and more as I get older.
    The stuff that was just given to me because I asked is incredible.

“Hey what are you doing with this xxx?....
    That ?!? Fak, you want it?! Take it !!”

Lol more then once, easy. And if they say no, it’s no.
    Better then being told your a thief or worse.

20. What happened to your Packard project???Bruce.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. Mahty

Mahty

I’ve seen several cars rotting over the years, never had luck acquiring them. There seems to always be a family member who plans to “fix it up”. Years ago a buddy stumbled on an old, pre WW2 junk yard, full of cars most guys would salivate over. A chain saw would be the first thing a guy would need to free the cars. But nothing was for sale. Some folks like their private collection, no matter what state of rust they are in.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and egads like this.
  22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

As I recall, when he was busted after his rally to LA, the van was found stripped next day, rumored to have been done by his pals. Now that he has it back I'll bet they reappear.

23. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Legalities vary by state. In Illinois you cannot legally get a title to an abandoned vehicle. A tow company operator near where I live had a cool 54 Chevy 3/4-ton flatbed pickup he "acquired" years ago. Towed it from a rental house after the tenant who vacated left it behind. I asked about it. That was probably 2002-03. He didn't have a title. Last year it disappeared from his place and I learned from a friend that it went to the crusher.
    As others stated, ask don't take.

24. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

That would be my guess also.

Deuces likes this.
  25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Sure not the outcome I doubt anyone expected. I wonder.... according to the story, some citizen unlocked a gate so he could get to the van, and someone in law enforcement was there when they loaded it up, I think there is even a photo. Then, when he gets busted, the van is not impounded but left where it could get stripped, and I mean every bolt and wire. No damage to the van, no torches, no hammers. Then he gets it back.. Could there be some face saving by LE for helping him get the thing in the first place?

Oh well, not my biz...

26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That is just stupid. There should be a way to get a new title, especially somebody like a towing company. Here they can file a lien against it, if it’s not paid in a certain time period, it becomes theirs and they can get a new title in their name if it is a vehicle that requires a title.

27. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Inside a section of the IL SoS regulations concerning obtaining a title by bond there is this statement:

To obtain a title for a vehicle without the proper surrender documents, the following items must be submitted to the Secretary of State:
    1. Evidence of your right to acquire a title, such as a bill of sale, receipt or canceled check. If evidence of your ownership is not available, a notarized statement explaining how you came into possession of the vehicle is required.
    NOTE: A bond cannot be used to obtain titles on abandoned vehicles, repossessions, mechanics liens or estates, or to remove a lienholder.

Deuces likes this.