Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Early Ford spindle interchange thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55willys, Dec 1, 2014.

1. 55willys

55willys

You're welcome, that's what it's all about. Learning and passing on information

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

yes to your ebay link, thats what you buy to use those spindles. i dont know what your building, but the world has not run out of real ford spindles yet. they are made of very high quality steel, and do take kindly to heating and bending for your particular app. 37-41 seem to be all the kids favorite so they command a little higher price, but 42-48 square backs are common. its what ever you like. now, what are you building?

3. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I like to have wide-five wheel bolt pattern and hydraulic brakes. Could you advise the simplest way to get there (front and rear), using stock Ford components. I gather that '36 drums would not be a good choice? Would '37 & '38 drums be pretty much a "bolt-on" swap, on '39 to '48 axles? What components would be simplest/best to use on '28 to '36 axles?

Thanks in advance!

4. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Rusty, I restore cars and trucks for a living now. I specialize in Mustangs, but do many different vehicles. I also am a retired teacher, teaching Auto for 20 of those years. I am building myself a '30 Ford pickup Hot Rod. This is uncharted territory for me. I can do the work, I understand the systems . . but what I can rattle off to others about Mustangs, what works, how to do it . . I can't do with a early Hot Rod :( I know what I know . . and what I don't.

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

mr desmodromic, i like the wide 5 look too. problem is no one is making new drums for them, so be careful what you buy. easiest and cheapest route to hydraulics is plain ol ford hyd backing plates. 39 41 with lower anchor adjustments, or 42-48 without, all the same to me and easy to get. some folks want the improved self energizing design found on lincolns of the period, or available new, or f1 pickups, and even later f100's with some tricks involved. spindles as noted earlier all jive from 28 to 48. if working on 32-34 stuff with the steering arm attached, the spindle can be modified to take the hyd backing plate, or the plate modified to fit the spindle. part of the answer for spindles is what kind of steering you are shooting for, parallel drag link, or cross steer

6. '36-'39 rear drums and '37-'39 front drums along with either '39-'41 or '42-'48 brakes would be the easiest and probably cheapest way to go; but it might be worth your while to compare the cost of acquiring and rebuilding the early Ford brakes with the purchase price of repop Lincoln brakes. Spindles from '37-'41 are the most popular; while the '42-'48 are usually more economical to purchase.
    Earlier spindles are more hassle to deal with; unless you really want the look of the integral steering arm on '32-'34 spindles in a side steer application.
    Pay attention to what Rusty said about wide 5 drum condition.

7. 55willys

55willys

Drums are often found to be rusted, cracked or oversized. I have been working on a disc brake set up that uses the hub of the two piece wide five brake. I have prototype caliper brackets but have to find a place to cast or forge them.

8. Something else on the wide 5 drums; some of them are two piece and these drums interchange. So you can mix up parts to end up with a good set. May even see NORS drums every so often.

9. AKATIREGUY

AKATIREGUY

The front axle I wound up with is a little confusing.
    Was told 36 Ford truck. Spring purch is just in front of the axle. Square back spindles with bolt on steering arm with double eyelet on passenger side for cross steering. It was already upgraded to later brake drums. Any idea what I really have?
    Screenshot_20190527-132847_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190527-132905_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190527-133051_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190527-133108_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190527-133515_Gallery.jpg
    I flipped steering arm forward temporarily. It was in the way of the new spring location.

10. rusty valley

rusty valley

to me, the axle perch pin looks close to the king pin, as in 37 and up. measurements of that would tell. backing plates look f 100, and spindles f1, my guess....next

AKATIREGUY likes this.
  11. jaxx

jaxx

pete - will mid 90s 4 lug hub fit on a 37 and up spidle as I have a nice set of pony wheels I would like to run on the frt of my RPU ? - jaxx

12. Better pictures may help; but while the axle and wishbone are '37-'40; the spindles don't look Ford and the brakes, tho Bendix are not '48-'52 F-1 or '53-'56 F-100.

rusty valley likes this.
  13. rusty valley

rusty valley

by golly rich its a good thing you are here to keep us in touch! i have some f100 brake stuff here, but have not used any on a project yet, so i dont have that "intimacy" we get when its all on the bench and you're trying to make it all fit together as henry never intended! thanks!

AKATIREGUY likes this.
  14. AKATIREGUY

AKATIREGUY

Further research on these brakes suggests may be Ford Econoline 1961-1967

15. That goes back a long way; thought the ribs on the kingpin boss seemed familiar. Scrounged a set up in the PI and hauled them back on the boat in a cruise box. Installed them on a '33 Tudor I had back in '72 or so. Buddy machined a very thin shim for the kingpin and it seems to me the yoke had to be milled a little bit to fit the early axle. Good brakes back in the day.