Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage springfield ,mo. NSRA mid america street rod nats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jbon64, May 22, 2019.

1. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

is it worth a 6 hour trip ? the shows i usually hit are east of the mississippi and i'm starting to see the same stuff over and over.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. The MidAm Nats usually involves a good rain at some point in the weekend. Right now, the forecast says that we are good for Friday and Saturday, with a 50/50 shot for Sunday. ;-)

The Ozark Empire Fairgrounds is a great venue for the event, and it's not all asphalt parking lot. There's plenty of shady areas on the back side of the fairgrounds.

Usual attendance is in the 1,250-1,800 range and there is usually a good variety of cool stuff there.

egads likes this.
  3. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends on what you are interested in. At one time this was a great show----lots of venders and around 2,000 cars of the pre-48 variety. Never much of a swap meet. I went for maybe 20 years. Then they went to the 30 year rolling year of Mfg and it went to crap. I went last year for the first time in 6 or 7 years. Only one major vender, maybe 800 cars, lots of newer rides, still a suck swap meet. I went because a lot of us from the old days were having a reunion and, because of that, we had a good time, but the consensus was none of us would make the trip again just for the show.

4. lake_harley

lake_harley

Fat47...I was about to start a thread asking questions that you just answered. I live on the other side of MO but had never been to a Springfield NSRA event. I was hoping that there would be a lot of vendors and a decent sized swap meet, but it sounds like I might as well save the 10-ish hour round-trip drive. My wife and I would have been going with a focus on looking over '46-'48 Fords for inspiration and ideas of exactly what direction to go with the one we just bought recently.

Haven't yet ruled out going, but your review of the event certainly dampened my interest, and that's OK. Sounds like it would be quite the disappointment. :(

Lynn

5. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I've never been to this event. But any hot rod show is better than no hot rod show. As Fat47 said, he still had fun because he there with friends. Driving a hot rod. Looking at hot rods. With friends. Sounds good to me.

32fenderless likes this.
  6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I have been attending that event annually for at least 15 years and I must disagree with much of what Fat47 had to say. Not saying he didn't see it that way, but my perspective is different than his.

The first year or two after the 'rolling 30' rule change there was a significant influx of questionable entries, but that seems to have subsided. The '50s and '60s models that do attend are, for the most part, suitable for such an event. Percentage wise there are plenty of '48 and older vehicles in attendance.

The swap meet is so-so but it isn't the main purpose of the event. It's an 'extra'

A few vendors have dropped out over time, Speedway being the most conspicuous absence, but there are dozens in attendance both indoors and outdoors.

There are plenty of good places to eat in Springfield and other area attractions. Plenty of ;odging choices as well.

bchrismer and egads like this.
  7. hudson48

hudson48

Just arrived in St Louis from Brisbane Australia and I have booked to attend a few weeks ago. Scored a room in the host hotel for Saturday night. Will get several hours in on Saturday. What is Sunday attendance like? All the runs I have been to in USA the Sunday numbers are like one third of other days. We need to leave by mid morning Sunday anyway to keep up our schedule to get to friends in Dawsonville GA by Monday 27th. Also going to Custom Car Revival in Indianapolis in early June.

bchrismer and pprather like this.
  8. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

All the 3 day events I have been to, attendance is way down Sunday. Unless you want to watch awards (or win one), not a big reason to stay. My favorite day is Friday.

9. hudson48

hudson48

I tried to change to arrive Friday and have two nights but Hotel booked out. I think it is a bonus for me to be at host hotel.

10. I've been going for as long as I can remember it being held there. Always have a great time. Bret is correct, there is always a chance of rain at least once! We like setting in our lawn chairs watching the cars go by on Glenstone in the evening. There used to be bleachers in front of the HeadQuarters hotel don't know if they are still there. We stay down at the Oasis, plenty of action.

bchrismer likes this.
  11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Check with the LaQuinta Airport motel. Myself and a friend who was coming also both found it necessary to cancel yesterday. We each had rooms for Thursday thru Saturday. Front Desk......417-447-4466.

It is a nicely maintained property located about 2 or 3 miles (max) on the same roadway that runs west along side the host hotel. Street name escapes me at the moment....:(

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  12. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

The bleachers at Glenstone and Kearney are gone... they tore down the restaurant there recently. A lot of new construction going on in that area.

The show is a solid regional show and there is a lot of cruising, places to eat, things to do in the Springfield area. It is not a 3,000 car event, so if that is what you are all about, you will be less satisfied. SWMO has a strong car culture, so the show is typically well recieved.

13. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Kearney Street.

Hnstray likes this.
  14. DavidStadnickiandme.jpg I didn't take many photos while I was there, but I did capture this shot with @i.rant

guthriesmith, Hnstray, i.rant and 2 others like this.
  15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

that photo right there puts a big smile on my face!

Hnstray, i.rant and bchrismer like this.