Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pulling off speed parts....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JFK Killer, May 25, 2019.

1. JFK Killer

JFK Killer

Im not real sure whats goin on in my head right now. Im seriously thinking of pulling the 671 blower off my sbc. Im thinking about going to a single carb dual plain intake. Have any of you other guys just wanted to make your hotrod simpler. Some feed back may help... 20190523_201852.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

INVISIBLEKID and loudbang like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

The only constant is change. Everyone needs or ponders a different look every now and then. Nothing wrong with that.

Hnstray, loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  3. JFK Killer

JFK Killer

Maybe your right.... I just would like something different right now. Yes blowers are great very eye an ear catching. Sometimes all that can be a huge hassle.

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

2 AFBs & a 30-30 Duntov.

raven, loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.

5. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I had a blown 355 sbc, first with 2 750 double pumper's then with a hilborn four port efi in my 56 Chevy for 20 years. Got tired of it and wanted something a little different. Built a .040 over 11:1 327 with an Isky 505T cam, 461 fuelie heads, and a Wieand tunnel ram w/ 2 450 Holley's. Everyone thinks I'm a dumb ass for going backwards, but, it's my car and that's what I want. F - them! Same goes for you, do what you want and be happy. There's ain't a damn thing wrong with a change-up every now and then!

fauj, INVISIBLEKID, lumpy 63 and 3 others like this.
  6. loudbang

loudbang

Take the supercharger and equipment off and STORE it. Too many post on man I sure miss that ______+_ I took off and sold. Tastes change and someday you may want it again .:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  7. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sooooo true!

loudbang likes this.
  8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That's where I am at the moment. I have a Ford 240 six with with 300 internals all newly built. Debating between a 4 barrel, two 2's or a 3-71/4-71 blower but I am not sure how a blower would look on the right side of the engine.:D

town sedan and loudbang like this.
  9. loudbang

loudbang

Scroll through the induction thread I have posted a few supercharged 4 and 6 cylinders. Was a while ago though.

10. JFK Killer

JFK Killer

You maybe right. The bad part is just about every car ive built in the last 15 years. They all end up with superchargers on then. Ive had 7 supercharger set ups...

loudbang likes this.
  11. If you want to go from Kewl factor to a every ones Sisters brothers Husbands 3 times removed cousin set up..

Have at it

JFK Killer and loudbang like this.
  12. also sounds like you are really bored of being BLOWN !

Try getting Injected (Hilborn) and see if that scratches your itch...

13. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Whatever keeps you interested in the car and gets you either working on it or driving it.

I have an ‘80s ot car I have had since college. A few years ago after not driving it for a few years I seriously considered detuning it and putting quiet exhaust on then using it as a daily driver. 6mpg, flowmasters and a heavy clutch wasn’t a good choice for the daily commute.
    All I really needed was a new project and a reason to drive the car again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loudbang likes this.
  14. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Yes. Have had motors that were fun to drive for about 15 minutes. Too crazy of a build. Not a cruising motor at all. Set them back in a corner and went back milder/driveable/enjoyable. Guess I'm getting old......

JFK Killer, town sedan and missysdad1 like this.
  15. missysdad1

missysdad1

Depends a lot on how you enjoy your car. Do you like other people drooling over your creation...or do you prefer just going down the road in your own world in a hot rod that you created yourself? Everybody has their own perspective. Good luck finding yours.

RollinRock and town sedan like this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

I pulled the blower off my 55 (but I put it on another car), and it wasn't long before I just swapped in a small block, and ended up selling the car.

I suggest you find a drag strip, and put that blower to use.

17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

This is one of the first signs a car guy is getting old :cool:. Next you'll be telling us you're thinking about trading it for something more comfortable to ride in and relatively maintenance free, etc.

Keep the blower. If you get tired of driving it or tuning it, drive your daily.

town sedan likes this.
  18. town sedan

town sedan

Sometime in the 70's there was as short feature on a '41(?) Chevy with a GMC blower on it in Street Rodder magazine. Yes it looked different, but GOOOOD!

How many of the 7 do you still have? What would be wrong with adding another one to the corral? Change can be good, especially when it's something you want. Either way enjoy!
    -Dave

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  19. Is it a drivability thing? Or are you just bored with the look? And as mentioned- who cares what others think, unless you do........ nothing beats that kick in the ass feeling like lung on top, a couple snails spinning, or the bottle power adder..... Your ride. In the perfect world- if dialed in, should be cake. If a P.I.A, well, there is no free lunch EVER.....
    Do what makes you happy, and enjoy your ride.

20. JFK Killer

JFK Killer

Well I used to do all the local cruise nights with the car. Yea I enjoyed all the complements... I fell out of love with just hanging around in parking lots. Looking at the same old cars week after week. I wanna start putting more miles on the car try to enjoy it more. Its real hard to do that when you have a scoop an carbs hanging out the hood. Plus it seems like everytime I drive my coupe now it starts to rain. So i have to pull over an let the rain pass. I used to be a big horsepower guy. About 39 years old I started getting real sick. I was told I have stage 5 kidney failure. Ive still tried to keep my normal life. It didnt stay that way but I tried. So this is another reason why Im thinking the way Im thinking. I would rather drive my coupe than work on it.

loudbang and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  21. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The "K.I.S.S." method has yet to fail me.

loudbang likes this.
  22. JFK Killer

JFK Killer

KISS????

loudbang likes this.
  23. sorry to hear about your condition.. Hope things work out for you..

Another food for thought on the blower can you detune the thing under drive it so it is more streetable and then you can drive your car as you want to, That is what I am looking at doing for one of my builds.
    Unless you have another engine laying around that is carb friendly and can swap real quick,
    I am sure you know it is not just a intake and carb swap.. Cam has to change, how low of compression did you have before sticking the huffer on, Might need to change the slugs to a more respectful compression ratio for just a carb..
    A pully swap to run 2-3 pounds or even under driven sounds a whole bunch easier to me.. And keep that WOW factor as you cruze your car.

Do hope for a full recovery for you !

loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  24. K.I.S.S.

Keep

It

Simple

Sto0pid

loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  25. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Thanks I will do that.:cool:

loudbang likes this.
  27. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

loudbang likes this.
  28. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I understand your thoughts.

A simple aluminum intake and single carb and your down to basic hot ridding.
    The KISS method, sometimes it's a lot more fun keeping it simple then spending time tweaking, tuning and adjusting. Just jump in and go.. anywhere...

I had a 68 firebird, did a bunch of suspension mods, liked going fast around corners and curves. After awhile I got tired of always going thru tightening bolts, replacing broke bolts, bushings etc. And always cutting inside of the tires.

It cornered so hard I could cut and peel the face/ tread side of the tire loose from the steel belts ( radials). Finally I learned to slow down some and went back basically stock and ended with more time and FUN behind the wheel instead of under the car.

Bearcat_V8 likes this.
  29. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I have a car (64) that I bought when I was 16 and have done everything that a young man would do to a car since then in the last 30 years or so. Now, in my middle age, I am putting together a dedicated drag car, (I think there's a link at the bottom of my post, but progress is slow) and returning that original car back to a nice driver with a mild motor and gears that are reasonable on the highway just so I can enjoy more time behind the wheel and no compromises of a street/strip car. Maybe it comes with age, or wisdom, or affluence to have 2 hobby cars. I don't know. All I do know is I won't fault another guy for making his car better to drive.

Devin