Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Gratiot Auto Supply, The worlds largest hot rod shop !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Jul 30, 2008.

1. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I miss Maynard.

2. Gr8laker

Gr8laker
    from Michigan

Mikey!

3. Wes Rager

Wes Rager

Wow, sorry I'm so late to the party. I too worked at GAS during high school and just after. I started in the Livonia store with David Estes, then helped close it and move it to the Canton location. Being young and ambitious, I was then asked to help open the Woodward store with Mike Venuto. Continued to work there for a few months before I was then sent to Madison Heights to work in mail order. ( There were 8 retail stores by this point. I spent time in all of them.) The parent company was called Detroit High Performance. That's where I met Kathy and Angelo...and Bill Toia of course. They spent a bunch of money on an IBM mainframe computer in the early 80's. That and a shift in the market precipitated their decline. Sad to say the least....

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I wish I spent more money at Gratiot...They had real good deals on the Ford, Chevy, Mopar discontinued parts..Early 70's bought some chrome reverse wheels from them; still on the car..shoulda bought more...

Attached Files:

5. butch

butch
    from Michigan

I lived in Saginaw in the 70s we would cruse down to the Flint Gratiot, Dort Hwy. store to by parts and day dream and drool.

Deuces and petiepotpie like this.
  6. 31Apickup

31Apickup

We had the Gratiot Auto Supply downriver in Woodhaven for a short while in the late 70's. One of my buddy's neighbor worked there. I think it was there for only a year or two.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  7. Nobody mentioned K&L Speed. First opened on Grand River at Westbrook in Detroit sometime in 68-69. Across from Redford High School and Detroit Police 16th Precinct. About September 69 a friend borrowed a car from another friend to pick up parts there. Pulled out on Grand River and got t-boned, car ended up in the 16th's driveway. Bad part it was unisured, wrong plates, it was just put on the road a couple days earlier as it was built from a total. Totaled again, this time not fixable. I have the high beam headlights (T-3's) in my O/T car today, got them from the parts pile left the owner still had as of 1996.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. West Point Motor Supply in Farmington Township, Novi Auto Parts in Novi, Mid 5 in Livonia and B&F Auto Supply in Plymouth had limited stock and could usually order what you wanted also. Sometimes a little better prices if they liked you. I forgot the names of the guys at Redford Speed, started dealing with them when they first opened in 72, the two guys were friends of friends.

9. dan griffin

dan griffin

The bank showed up one day to check inventory against money borrowed to buy inventory. the bank shut them down the next day.

10. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

best Gratiot ad ever!!!!! LindaVaughnMissGratiotAutoSupplyWORLDSLARGESTHOTRODSHOPS.jpg

11. j.s.cupcake

j.s.cupcake
    from Motor City

Harms Way:

You gained a lot of information about Gratiot Auto Supply while working there. However, you certainly glossed over the BIGGEST and MOST IMPORTANT chapter in the history of GRATIOT AUTO SUPPLY. That chapter has to do with its founder, BILL TOIA. Sorry to tell you, but you never would have had a job there if it had not been for Bill Toia starting the company and building it from a small store into what was, at one time, the World’s Largest Hot Rod Shop. There are volumes that you know nothing about.
    I find your omission of my grandfather, Bill Toia, insulting. You may want to relive your glory days as a “car guy”, but rewriting the history of Gratiot Auto Supply is not the way to do it! Sadly, my grandfather passed away December 16, 2009. He had a daughter, five grandchildren, eight great-grandchildren, and now two great-great-grandchildren. Fortunately, our family has many wonderful memories of him.
    I suggest that you do a little research into the history of the company you profess to know so much about before continuing to pass yourself off as an expert.

J.A.S.

chryslerfan55 and 427 sleeper like this.
  12. j.s.cupcake

j.s.cupcake
    from Motor City

I need to correct you — Bill Toia, founder of Gratiot Auto Supply was NOT Angelo’s uncle. Bill was my grandfather. He may not be here to correct the record, so I will.

chryslerfan55, Deuces and 427 sleeper like this.
  13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Okay. Can you do a detailed post or thread with your stories ? I love to learn the history about the icons of hot rodding and racing.

14. southcross2631

southcross2631

Growing up in the U.P, of Michigan our only source of hot rod parts was J.C. Whitney or Western Auto.
    My brother moved to Mt. Clemens after he got out of the army. I got a job on construction and moved in with my brother and Gratiot was 20 minutes away. In 1969 it was a hopping place to go on Saturday mornings. I would cash my check on Friday and be in the store the next morning to try and buy the next part . So I could be ready to race at Motor City Dragway on Sunday afternoon.

chryslerfan55 and bchctybob like this.
  15. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

I suggest that you do a little research into the history of the company you profess to know so much about before continuing to pass yourself off as an expert. ...quote..

man lighten up a little

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  16. Wow..... you got on here for that..to bump a 3 year old thread up ....for that......moving right along

17. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

18. My brother worked at the Woodhaven store and got this at the conpany picnic back then.
    20200115_150337.jpg

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  19. Were there a lot of Dennis’ in Livonia in the late 60s ?
    I knew one who drove an Anglia.

20. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

21. Deuces

Deuces

22. Deuces

Deuces

I have a jacket patch that's the same size as Linda's ummm... chest...

23. 5window

5window

Long as this old thread is dragged up, anybody got a logo for Skippy's Speed Shop??

24. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

That's can't be a patch. That has to be a blanket.

25. Once again, if I locate the shirt does Linda have to be in it?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  26. Silverplate

Silverplate

27. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

Gratiot auto commercial with Linda from 1978:
    Starting at 4:57

28. koolbeans

koolbeans

Gratiot Auto...Angelo Giampetroni threw some sponsoship our way when I built a new '68 Mustang for the '68 SCCA/ARRC at Riverside CA. First turn of wheels. Qualified 19th due to a sheet metal screw in brand new GoodYear. Drove to 8th.
    Spent a lot at Gratiot Auto. Very Kool speed shop.
    And drove the "mother road" Rt. 66 out and back.
    The great ol days.

Attached Files:

egads, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. Harms Way

Harms Way

Normally I wouldn't reply to something like this,.. But Here goes ..

Hey J.A.S. how long did you work for Gratiot Auto Supply ? (don't bother,... I know the answer).... When your Grandpa started Gratiot, it was selling recapped tires. He gave Angelo a job pushing a broom, and later his responsibilities grew. He had to talk Bill into trusting him to bring in Hot Rod parts. And the business took off... (Don't take my word for it, do some of your own research, It was written about in magazines years ago.. I also herd it directly from JR) I appreciate your relationship with your Grandfather.. And I'm glad that relationship was special...

With that said, I must have seen him on an off day (and I only seen him twice) , He came into the Livonia store and was condescending and dismissive to the staff... He had a dog with him that pissed on a stack of tires and the carpet... He looked at a female cashier that was working the counter (and was pregnant)... And told her to clean it up.

Either way,... Your Grandad might have been a great guy to you and the family,... But in my experience from my time working at GAS,... I didn't observe it...(again, he might have just been having a bad day) Also, It might be helpful to read the forward in some of the GAS catalogs... As I believe the original history is talked about in at least one of them.

31Apickup likes this.
  30. 5window

5window

Wow. three posts in fourteen years, the last almost 3 years ago. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.