Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Have you ever agonized about what color to paint you project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 25, 2019.

1. This came up when a few of my hot rod pals got together for lunch on Thursday and then again when talking to Dave this afternoon, he said he has lost sleep trying to decide what color to paint his 1952 Ford truck.

He said he originally thought black but his '34 Ford pickup & his '40 coupe were both black, I know he has told me at least 8 different colors in the last six months and he still can't nail a color down.

He thought red but a fellow club member has a red '52 Ford and that won't work.

I vividly remember Brenda was hell bent, bound & determined her wagon was going to be green and it took forever and at least 15 different tries before she was happy with a color.

Paint is not cheap and it's something you have to live with,especially if you plan on keeping the car.

So what's your story? HRP

2. flatford39

flatford39

Not really as they are all black

DeLuxe 32, pigfluxer, zzford and 4 others like this.
  3. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Black is nice...….

4. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

when my '54 F100 went to paint, I had spent two weeks with a color chart. When I painted the '23 I spent two weeks with a color chart. When my OT race car went to paint, I spent two weeks with a color chart.
    Either I am indecisive, lack confidence, dumber than a box of hood ornaments, or something else.
    Now that I think of it, I'v never had a black ride.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.

5. I sprayed my model A pickup red primer and my intent was to paint it yellow, I ended up painting it red and I hated it, I put it up for sale as soon as I got it back together.

My roadster was painted hugger orange and I wish it was black!

I have had a bunch of black cars but probably a bulk of my cars have been red primer. HRP

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yep, still are. I can't decide if I want to go back with the gold on the Lincoln, or use the gallon of medium blue metallic I already have. If I stay with gold, I can probably get away with not doing the jambs, but if I change, I have got to take the interior out to do it right. No idea what color the gold is, or what it was used on, if anything, so I'd have to go somewhere and try and get somebody to match it.

Decisions, decisions, decisions......

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. Still deciding... My truck was Golden rod yellow and Corinthian white from the factory, however I love the April green and Corinthian white combo. Luckily I am very slow at finishing the damn thing, so I'll have plenty more time to dwell on it!

31hotrodguy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. willymakeit

willymakeit

Have a friend with a very nice chopped 32 sedan, has worked on it for over 40 years and still cant decide on color.
    I told him prime it and drive it, he just turned 80.

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Painting soon. More concerned about what type of paint: lacquer, enamel, urethane, single stage, two stage... each has their advantages.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Have built hundreds of cars over the years for customers and myself. And though it sounds funny either the car tells us or in some cases another car tells us. For example if we were restoring it to original the stock color was the first choice but in some cases that color was just ugly and would have lower resale value more so than a more popular oem shade. In one case I was doing a 51 ford coupe and it was going to be painted in the pea green shade they came in, but it was going to be a mild custom, flathead was hopped up , big and little wide whites with fiesta caps and all the chrome you could get on the 51's. It would have looked okay , but I thought it would be boring but it was his car. After we got started he stopped by one day and saw a 66 mustang in the booth with a fresh of coat of Wimbelton white and out of the blue he says that's the color my car needs to be! lol So white it was and it turned out fantastic . He won a bunch of awards and turned down repeated offers to buy it. So I just let the cars decide and go from there. lol Works for me:) Larry

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  11. To me Danny, my Rods are all no Brain 'ers . The bare bones 29 coupe is (flat black) for attitude. The finished 31 sedan is (gloss back).
    The 34 Dodge delivery is (Hot Rod Red) and our Nomad is factory (turquoise and white) I really can't picture them in any other colors! ;) Just Easy Peasy!!! 20190519_112201.jpeg 20181123_142444.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hombre, quick85, HOTRODPRIMER and 4 others like this.
  12. primed34

primed34

Yep. That's why my '34 was in primer for 30 plus years.

HOTRODPRIMER and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  13. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I have worked in a paint shop for 30 years and these are the things I have noticed that seem to throw people off when choosing a color . People always take the color books and the color they pick in the first ten minutes or so seems good , then they doubt themselves and change their minds over and over until they can’t see straight -end up picking a lame color! As paint has gotten more expensive people try and get the most bang for the buck and pick the most wild / crazy color to impress everybody on cruise night and it doesn’t suit the type of car at all - with color sometimes less is more! Some cars suit subtle some suit wild. Some colors seem boring on chips but not on the car , there is nothing boring about a butternut yellow ChevyII ! The best thing to do is stand back and let the car tell you what color it should be, get it straight in your head then go find the color .

-Brent-, rockable, bchctybob and 6 others like this.
  14. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm ashamed to admit it, but several years ago I sold a car that I built because I couldn't decide on a color to paint it. It was driving me nuts, so I got rid of it. Only time it ever happened to me.

15. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Choosing the paint for the '58 was agonizing, definitely the hardest decision of the entire build. I already had my mind made up that it would be a lighter shade of green, but which one? Hesitant to make a selection based on a 1 inch square paint chip, I looked at countless cars and pictures of cars before making the final decision. That said, I'm really happy with the outcome...
    44951218_722333181486453_6944060423607943168_o.jpg

50Fraud, gnichols, willysguy and 17 others like this.
  16. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

When I got the 57 Chevy last November, I kicked around the original Turquoise/White. Then I joined the HAMB in February and things changed. Car will definitely be BLACK. Not sure yet whether flat,satin,gloss or just primer, but BlACK!!!!!

31hotrodguy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Still looking for the right blue

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Black Sheep your 58 Chevy truck is a perfect example of a subtle color choice -and also the color suiting the rest of the build perfectly! White roof .... tasty.

HOTRODPRIMER and Black_Sheep like this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Paint is a long away in the future worry, but I do notice colors on new cars that are real head turners. Mini Cooper has a perfect red that I'd use on the Roadster and there are a lot of different shades of gray that I like.

Bob

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 56 Chevy has been completely gutted and in primer for 12 years because I couldn't pick a color!!! Couldn't decide on 2 tone or not, Finally decided on a nice metallic red for the whole car! No 2 tone! Choosing the right color is a genuine P.I.T.A!!!

OLSKOOL57, bchctybob and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. That’s beautiful

22. KFC

KFC
    from UK

Black’s a cop out.
    * painted my first rod black

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Sometimes the factory gets it right. Especially with two tone. I have seen cars over the years that you wondered why the customer checked THAT paint color box.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

primer , black or red all three have been done to death and the easy way out just my opinion but I must admit finding a colour that you will like when finished is a challenge

25. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

'56 Meteor Victoria. Can be one tone, two tone, or three tone! Add to that the various colour choices which I believe could be both Ford and Merc and I can never make up my mind. I'm going to need therapy!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I'm not real picky when it comes to color......I'm the guy who bought the Dog shit brown VW van with an orange roof for next to nothing because no one else would be caught dead in it....lol.

27. X2.
    In my experience, late at night when you're in the garage & everyone else is in bed, the car- in a still small voice- will tell you the right color.:cool:

Black_Sheep and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I also think about the potential of a future sale when deciding. The I want to be different and wild in my choice thought when picking a color has ruined a lot of cars. Keep it understated and let the lines and stance of the build speak for themselves.

29. Unclekeg

Unclekeg

I’m pretty far from picking a paint color, but what you picked is really nice. What colors did you use?

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    Black_Sheep and HOTRODPRIMER like this.