Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is there a reliable non-HEI SBC distributor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockable, May 25, 2019.

1. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I installed a Pertronix II distributor about a year ago in my 350 HO and the hall effect module has already failed and cost me a 50 buck ride in a rollback.

After doing a little research, it seems they are not very reliable. This is a car that I road trip and I dont have room for an HEI distributor. I don't have access to a points style distributor. Are there any reliable aftermarket distributors? It seems like a magnetic pickup would be best. Also, I don't want to install a CD box unless I have no option.

Thanks for your suggestions.

2. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

3. belair

belair

Chevy made billions of them. Pertronix works great if you match the coil to the unit.

Tim, 3340, ClayMart and 4 others like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

up until a few years ago, you could buy a rebuilt stock distributor at any parts store. Times have changed.

unless you do a little bit of looking around

https://www.ebay.com/itm/400987541467

5. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Until they don't.

Vintage off road enthusiasts (Willis Jeeps) keep a set of points if they run Petronix just in case.

6. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm using a Pertronix Blaster 2 coil.

7. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Will points fit the Pertronix distributor? I doubt it.

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

1) Stock points distributor
    2)Stock points distributor with Ford thick film module or MSD module (my choice)
    3) The distributor you have now with a fresh Pertronix, and a spare Pertronix in the glove box.

joel, tractorguy, RDR and 1 other person like this.
  9. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

>>>hall effect module has already failed>>>After doing a little research, it seems they are not very reliable.>>>
    Wow, I didn't know that!

>>>I don't have access to a points style distributor.>>>
    Wow, I thought everybody had access!

Jack E/NJ

Texas Webb likes this.
  10. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm,leaning towards #3.

11. F&J

F&J

Our local Napa got a reman OEM V8 Chevy points distributor for a friends 66 truck last year. I put it in and looked it over pretty good, and it was a nice piece. He's had the truck since 1970 and the stock one wore out. (points plate slop).

19Eddy30, tractorguy and 31hotrodguy like this.
  12. Swap meets are still a good place to find stock distributors.E bay too,but you cant check the shaft bearings if you cant hold it.

13. Have you contacted Pertronix? Are you using solid core ignition wire?

Ben

hrm2k likes this.
  14. mohead1

mohead1

MSD billet Pro.....but its mechanical only i believe, no vac can. Very adjustable, running them for years, on my 550 horse smallblock 30 Coupe

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

31hotrodguy likes this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can usually fix a distributor with points on the side of the road with an emory board and a match book cover and a screw driver. Or carry spare points. Even with missing a few of the things that electronic ignition provides as easier starting, slightly better gas mileage and less tune ups the "I can get it going and go again feeling with points" does have it's plusses.

16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

A Napa guy told me he could get any old car parts I wanted. I asked about a water pump for a 1955 291 DeSoto hemi. Got him on that one .:) They maybe worth a try. Something like that they can probably get.

hillbilly and rockable like this.
  17. 29moonshine

29moonshine

I got a spare points dis in my nova and a extra set of points and condenser as a spare so far I have never needed them. just saying

18. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes. No. I thought I had a bad could but now I know different after replacing the coil.

Deuces likes this.
  19. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I road trip this car. Vacuum advance is a given for me, since I'm used to getting 18 mpg. I know what happens when I don't have vacuum advance.

dan griffin likes this.
  20. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Putting a points distributor back in means I have to add that ugly ballast resistor back. Not anxious to do that. I prefer the clean look and performance I got with the Pertronix..........while it's working.

21. belair

belair

You can mount the ballast resistor out of sight, can't you? And I love your car.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  22. squirrel

squirrel

or get a ballast resistor wire, like Chevy and Ford used in the 1960s

23. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

>>>Putting a points distributor back in means I have to add that ugly ballast resistor back. >>>

Wow! I forgot about 6v coils! Somebody should invent a 12v coil. Jack E/NJ

24. missysdad1

missysdad1

There is nothing more reliable than a GM point-style distributor in a driver-style hot rod. They are just fine absolutely stock, but a gentle recurve by a knowledgeable distributor shop to fit your driving habits and your rear end ratio will help both mileage and performance. A slightly warmer-than-stock coil will help, too, along with an appropriate choice of spark plug heat range. Most of what you hear about high-performance ignitions is pure hype designed to drain your wallet in search of improved Wide Open Throttle performance in a car with a Ricky Racer motor. If that isn't you, save your money by investing in a GM point-style distributor with decades upon decades of happy reliable motoring history behind it.

25. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I have used Pertronix many times, the only failure so far was a bad coil. I like MSD stuff as long as its not the shitty stand alone unit. If I'm gonna run HEI it's gonna be made by Chevy. I have no issues with points type distributors other than any points you can buy locally are total foreign crap. IMHO I would buy a new Pertonix module and if it makes you feel better a backup for the glove box.

26. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Mallory uni-lite is small and have never had a problem.

mkebaird and 6-bangertim like this.
  27. squirrel

squirrel

...but lots of others have....

j3harleys and papadaddio like this.
  28. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

10+ yrs. and never an issue. Musta got a good one. It was a marine application that I changed the gear on...maybe a difference?

29. RDR

RDR

Ran Pertronix in the '52 Chevy (250)for over 100,000 miles,13 years. Burned out 2 modules before I was told by Pertronix that my key was on while engine wasn't running...Well, DUH...First time it happened car was idling in driveway when it died..psstt..fried it.
    Next time turned the key on to check why blinkers didn't work, realized it was flasher, went into parts store, came out...to..fried module.
    After finding out about the key on deal never had another problem and had always carried an extra kit in the glovebox so was never down more than 20 minutes anyway..
    Never understood why Pertronix doesn't sell just the module (as there's your points you always used to carry in your glovebox)
    Supposedly the Pertronix II won't burn out like the earlier ones did.

30. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't understand why we, as civilized human beings, are always trying to re-invent the wheel, so to speak. Points and condensers have worked for decades, reliabily. Most people have just gotten too complacent and just assume that new technology is better so they go with it, with much disappointment. IMHO.