Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help gm 350 fuel pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevinbosch711, May 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Kevinbosch711

Kevinbosch711

Just has me puzzled when the fuel line is unplugged from the pump gas should be coming out you would think I even blew air from the tank trying to push gas out the line

2. Redrodguy

Redrodguy

Take the line off the tank and see if gas comes out of the tank, then you'll know if it's the line or not.

3. Did you look in the cell and view the back side of the out fitting?
    (third request)

4. Kevinbosch711

Kevinbosch711

Took the line off the tank the gas comes out no prob so I’ll prob just end up changing the hole hose to rubber , and yes fitting looks good

5. rfraze

rfraze

Fix it to the point that gas runs out of the hose that connects to the pump. Then connect it to the pump.

6. town sedan

town sedan

Please don't run your complete gas line from rubber hose. All hoses used in the fuel system should be rated for gas, i.e. no vacuum line, etc. type hose.

You've never answered the several who have questioned the gas tank venting. How old is the tank? Crud from the bottom of the tank clogging the line? Did you build, or buy this vehicle?

Don't just start swapping parts, unless you enjoy spending money.
    -Dave

7. Kevinbosch711

Kevinbosch711

Yes I’ll get a fuel rated rubber house it just goes janky from rubber to the steel line then to rubber again , and I bought the car like this , just trying to figure it out sorry not to knowledge able , and the cell looks like it has no vent unless it’s in the cap , but when I was trying all this I had the cap off so I think my best bet be take off that hole line and run a new one all way to the pump the steel line is small in diameter

8. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

If the tank isn't vented you will get fuel if you pull the line at the tank. Reason you don't get fuel to flow to the pump is because the line is long enough to create enough vacuum in the un-vented tank to keep fuel from flowing to the end of the line and into the pump. The tank must be vented for the fuel to flow to the end of the line. If you have a vented cap, it's probably not venting properly. I have seen the newer emission type caps with an integral vent check cause too much vacuum in a tank to flow fuel properly, especially small capacity tanks.

9. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

OK ..........never mind...........where did I set my beer?:confused:

town sedan likes this.
  10. Kevinbosch711

Kevinbosch711

But if I have the cap off wouldn’t the fuel run to the pump ?? When I put the new line ? Let me take a pic of my cell

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Fuel line (steel) should be 5/16" or 3/8" diameter. Request fuel injection hose, for the hookups between tank/hard line/pump. (2 short fuel injection hoses)
    F.I. hose was spec'd for the gas we now have to accept, and higher fuel pressure.
    Regular fuel hose may have been old stock, and has non sufficient 'properties' to ward off inferior gasoline caused failure.
    See if gas flows out of the fitting at the tank.
    If it does, blow through the line from the tank end. (Replace rubber hoses.)
    Now, if the fuel does NOT flow out of the fitting at the tank...look inside to the fitting, if it's visible through the foam...CAN YOU SEE IT??

lothiandon1940 and town sedan like this.
  12. Kevinbosch711

Kevinbosch711

Some pics

Attached Files:

13. Kevinbosch711

Kevinbosch711

Gas comes out the tank no problem when the hose is taken off

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Blow thru the hose, Kevin. See if you can get clear passage, if not go for the rubber hoses, try them too.

I once had this problem with a recently lowered '57 Pontiac. Examined the fuel line, and it was the culprit. Pontiac line ran under the frame for 3 feet, there it was. Smashed from dragging frame in and out of driveways!

town sedan and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. Kevinbosch711

Kevinbosch711

Yea I’m gonna go new rubber hose all the way we’ll c if that works !

16. Fuel cells don't have vented caps. They are for racing and rollover protection.Yours is in backwards. WHAT IS INSIDE IT?
    BTW, is that thing severely lowered , with a C channel in the frame?
    Listen up now. I realize you're not to (too) knowledgeable yet. I did tell you the f/p was still good , right?
    I'm thinking this fuel line is a cobbled up mess.

town sedan likes this.
  17. Kevinbosch711

Kevinbosch711

Yes it’s on bags with c notch frame

town sedan likes this.
  18. Kevinbosch711

Kevinbosch711

So how can I vent it take off the blue cap on top of the tank (one) and run a rubber hose with a filter in the end , do a loop or two and run it under the car ? Does any auto part store cell a adapter to install a hose to that fitting

Attached Files:

19. .............Like others have said, DON'T run rubber fuel lines all the way up the frame.

20. Kevinbosch711

Kevinbosch711

Really ? Ok but why not ? So should I just take off the steel line and see if I can clean it out ? Or what size steel line do I need

21. Redrodguy

Redrodguy

3/8 is best.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. Re-read the post above by Atwater Mike. 3/8 or 5/16. You don't want rubber lines going all the way to the front. Imagine a stone, or anything for that matter, striking and cutting open a rubber line and the fuel spraying all over a hot exhaust! Not a pretty thought. Rubber should only be used as minimally as necessary for connections where vibration can occur.

23. town sedan

town sedan

Get the car up in the air and trace the route of your existing fuel line tubing. Maybe you'll find something obvious, maybe you'll discover that the line is routed in such a way that air is trapped in the line and fuel can't be pulled up to the engine by the pump. Or, who knows what you'll find but you'll know. This might be the perfect time to break out the tube bender and run a new line up to the pump.
    -Dave

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. You want to fab or buy something like this, pictured. Notice the fill neck is grounded to the car. Don't bother going to the Zone or the Big "O" .They'll look at you like you're from the Moon. Search the 'net or go to a Parker store or an industrial fitting place.
    Did you look inside the cell? (5th time) 100_1959.jpg

town sedan likes this.
  25. Kevinbosch711

Kevinbosch711

Yea everything in the cell looked fine clean nothing blocking the outlet , ok I’ll have to bring the fitting to the store get some parts to rig something up

26. town sedan

town sedan

Congratulations!
    Just saw your for sale ad and you state it runs good. What fixed it?
    -Dave

27. Kevinbosch711

Kevinbosch711

Just the lines were clogged !

28. Kevinbosch711

Kevinbosch711

Question I’m adding a vent line on the fuel cell I saw most ppl just do a twist in the line and run it out the car

29. Kevinbosch711

Kevinbosch711

Just trying to find the right fitting for the tank

30. Kevinbosch711

Kevinbosch711

So it’s all good now the line was pinched so gas was barely getting past runs like a dream now thanks everyone for helping and hanging in there with me lol

David Gersic likes this.